3 replies to this topic

#1 BRob66

BRob66

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:38 PM

can i react to baking ingredients like flour and such if i am baking for my kids????
Belinda
Recently diagnosed
gluten-free,soy-free,wheat-free,egg-free
and dairy-free
Living in Canada

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 buffettbride

buffettbride

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 800 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:41 PM

Short answer: Yes

Long answer: Yes

That said, if you have a good recipe, there's almost no difference in taste/texture of gluten-free items from the gluten-containing counterparts.

I would never use gluteny flour in my house because it goes everywhere and is impossible to get it completely out of a kitchen without a thorough scrub down.

#3 sillyactsue

sillyactsue

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 73 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 03:57 PM

can i react to baking ingredients like flour and such if i am baking for my kids????

Only if you ingest gluten. It is easy to contaminate your kitchen with gluten. If you are using flour and it gets in the air and settles on kitchen surfaces it is likely that you will contaminate your food with it. Contamination is on a microscopic level. Other's here are successful at having a kitchen that is not gluten free and I'm sure they will have some goog tips. Personally, in my house we are all gluten sensitive so I just don't allow it in the house.

#4 mamaw

mamaw

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,963 posts

Posted 05 December 2007 - 04:28 PM

I do sometimes make a gluten dessert for my husbands work. Not because it tastes any different but this stuff is pricey & I don't want to waste it on employees who don't need it. Call me L'cheapo I guess. I would say it depends how sensitive you are to gluten,for some a crumb puts them down for days & others don't react at all. I only do this maybe three times a year... I do work only in one small space , cover everything I can up with paper & do not use my special gluten-free pans.... When I'm done I scrub like I going to do major surgery & the I clorox everything in the room.
We are mostly all gluten-free except for these few occassions. Everyone in our house eats gluten-free when we are at home. Not all have to but they do & see no difference.......plus I'm the cook so they eat what I serve.....

mamaw

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: