This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Dentist Soon

FootballFanatic

FootballFanatic Contributor

What questions do I ask them to make sure I will be safe?

I don't even want to go now!!! :-/

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

My dentist office has been great! Give them a call, probably explain what Celiac/ need to be gluten free means for you. Take the time to have a plan of action. The last thing you need is to have dental problems untreated.

Good luck!

Laura

Offthegrid Explorer

Maybe you could find out what brand products they will use so you could call up the companies?

Best action might be to call in advance.

bakingbarb Enthusiast

OMG I would have never thought about the dentist being an issue. <_<

Thanks for the warning.

sansglutengrl Explorer

Hi Football fanatic,

Don't stress! I agree that you should maybe call the office before and ask if they wouldn't mind checking the products that they'll be using in your mouth - I'm sure if you tell them that you have a disease that would interfere that they'd be more than happy to check.

That being said, I was nervous the first few times I went but I have never ever been glutened or had any other issues. You might also want to do a quick search here for "dentist" because I know this topic has come up before.

Remember - you'll only have to worry about it the first time that you go, then it'll be out of the way and you'll never have to worry about it again!

Good Luck!

sickchick Community Regular

I am lucky I have never had problems with the dentist

Good luck Sweetie :)

EBsMom Apprentice

Call ahead, so they can be prepared. Instead of the paste they usually use to clean your teeth (prophy, I believe it's called) they can use pumice powder. They used that on me and I coudn't tell the difference. Glide floss (Crest) is gluten-free, and that's what my dentist used anyway. For my kids, they use a fluoride treatment that is gluten-free (only one flavor of our pediatric dentist's flouride is gluten-free....my kids have it memorized....it's cotton candy!) When I called, I had a long talk with the dental assistant....and when I showed up, they had a printout on gluten-free dentistry that they'd printed from the internet. You'll be fine, I think, if you give them time to research and prepare....and if you're lucky, they already have other celiac patients, and know the score! Good luck!

Rhonda

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I just got a new dentist, and I found them very helpful. I called the office before hand and they answered all my questions and were very understanding. I did not have any problems at the appointment either. I was very happy.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Don't stress! I agree that you should maybe call the office before and ask if they wouldn't mind checking the products that they'll be using in your mouth - I'm sure if you tell them that you have a disease that would interfere that they'd be more than happy to check.

Remember - you'll only have to worry about it the first time that you go, then it'll be out of the way and you'll never have to worry about it again!

Good Luck!

I sure do hope that is the result. I have been telling dentists that I am celiac now for 5 years and have only had one who took it seriously and actually checked the products. The dentist I used for years just wrote celiac in my chart and checked absolutely nothing!!!!!!!!! I have called and asked if the dentists treated celiacs and heard 'sure we do we have a lot of them' but then after getting in the chair have discovered that didn't mean they actually checked the products. I even got maker info from one dentist but when calling many of them refused to give me any info if I didn't work for the dentist.

Frankly I have given up. I have a porcelian facing and two crowns sitting in a drawer because I haven't been able to find a dentist in my area. This means one real ugly stubby tooth in the front of my mouth and only 4 teeth I can use to chew. Sorry if this is a bummer but it can be hard to find a dentist who can treat us safely if you live in a small town. I really, really wish I could say otherwise. I do so hope you have better luck than I have.

justanotherday Newbie

I called my dentist's office ahead of time. They had never heard of Celiac Disease before. But they researched it, and to my delight, they placed their next order for product with me in mind! They ordered from companies who certified that their dental products were gluten free... YEAY!!!!!

It's crazy to me that dentists don't know about celiac. One of the problems I have, which is normal for celiac sufferers, is I have weak enamel. My teeth chip very easily. Dentists should know about us!!! :angry: When my son got his molars as a two-year-old, they had NO enamel on them whatsoever, so they rotted right away. Celiac rears its ugly head again... but the dentist had NO clue...

Google something like gluten-free dental products, and you'll find plenty of sites with info to print out for your dentist. Unfortunately, we have to educate them. It's either that, or suffer the consequences of a glutening. Not worth it in my book... ;)

• 2 months later...
Mr. Pep'r Contributor

I went to the dentist yesterday and and asked them the question: Does any of your products contain gluten?

They pulled the info sheet out of the box and it only said do not use if you have intolerance with fluoride. No other ingredients listed.

Last night I did not feel good at all! But was it the paste? Something I ate earlier? Something expired that I ate? Or just a simple bug I was fighting last night? This is what truly makes this damn Celiac so tough. :(

I guess I am going to call ahead next time are really make sure their brand fluoride paste contains no gluten.

Does anyone have a list of "safe paste"?

Thanks

Gemini Experienced

I don't even want to go now!!! :-/

The dentist problem has been way overblown. I asked my dentist, when first diagnosed, how many products used could possibly contain gluten and her answer was....damn few. In fact, she was not aware of that being a problem and we checked labels. Nothing contained gluten. I also go to the dentist every 3 months for cleanings because I have Sjogren's Syndrome and have never once been glutened in 3 years.

Don't worry about it. Make sure they know that you have Celiac and check into what they use....they should provide that information for you. It's very important to get good dental care when a Celiac also so don't put off going to the dentist! FYI....Novocain or whatever they use for numbing purposes is safe. The toothpaste they use, while having natural flavoring, is safe. Most dental companies are very aware of food intolerances and do not put anything that could cause a problem in their products. This is what I have learned through my investigations in the beginning. I will not go so far as to say everything is safe but the majority of companies do not add gluten containing components to their products.

Archived