9 replies to this topic

#1 brendygirl

brendygirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 326 posts

Posted 08 December 2007 - 11:47 AM

I thought somebody said we could eat at Pick Up Stix. What can we order?

Gluten Free since November 2005

"If you want breakfast in bed, sleep in the kitchen.." ---Ed Polish

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 winki4

winki4

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 39 posts

Posted 10 December 2007 - 07:11 PM

I eat there all the time. I order a Budahs feast with white wine sauce and add in tofu. Make sure you repeat that you want white sauce, no soy sauce.
You can order anything on their menu, just make it with white wine sauce and you are good to go. I also eat their won ton soup with no won tons in it.
Very good!

#3 odyssic

odyssic

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 06 October 2008 - 07:03 PM

I don't think so. The Tofu and all of the meat have a light coating of breading on them. That surprised me the first time I got tofu. And often white wine sauce uses white flour as a thickener. Either that or corn starch.

I eat there all the time. I order a Budahs feast with white wine sauce and add in tofu. Make sure you repeat that you want white sauce, no soy sauce.
You can order anything on their menu, just make it with white wine sauce and you are good to go. I also eat their won ton soup with no won tons in it.
Very good!

#4 msmini14

msmini14

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 370 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 07:42 AM

I got excited there for a second lol. I figured Pick up Stix was out, guess it it. Has anyone wrote them to find out?

Gluten Free going on 5 years and counting!

gluten-free is a life change and not a diet.

#5 www

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 08:07 AM

The coating on everything including the tofu is cornstarch! I eat at Stix often. There are four different locations I frequent in Orange County CA. and never have been ill.
Do your homework people. Ask questions, write letters and don't frighten people on this board with these false reports. Ask for the white sauce only and cleaned wok to start and you should have NO problems.

#6 elonwy

elonwy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 08 October 2008 - 10:24 AM

I no longer live in SoCal, so haven't been to a Pick up Stix in ages. They used to have a gluten-free menu online, which I can no longer find. It basically stated, anything with the garlic sauce, with a clean wok. Obviously things like spring rolls were not ok. I contacted them on thier web site to ask where the gluten-free info went to.
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

#7 David

David

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 56 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:22 PM

I got excited there for a second lol. I figured Pick up Stix was out, guess it it. Has anyone wrote them to find out?

Hey Guys:

I know this an older message string by now, but when I searched for “Pick Up Stix,” this came up as one of the first returns. Since there seemed to be a spirited debate”on whether any menu items were “safe” at Pick Up Stix, so I sent an e-mail to corporate.

Unforttunately, the news was not positive:

Dear David:

Thank you for contacting Guest Relations.
Unfortunately, we can not guarantee anything to be gluten free. Manufacturers are not required to call out glutens in the ingredient statements like they are with the "Big 8" allergens. Glutens are often found in binders, like starch. Additionally, glutens could be a part of anything labeled as "spices". Also, we are not set up in the kitchen to prepare items to keep complete separation of gluten-free items from those containing gluten.
We appreciate your interest in our Pick Up Stix restaurants.

Jonie
Guest Relations

Part of me wants to say the response sounds 'laywered,' that there could be items that would be o.k., but they just won’t go “on record” and open themselves up to lawsuits. While the response is enough to keep me away, if braver souls have had o.k. experiences there it looks like the rule-of-thumb is the same as any other restaurant: Eat there at your own risk.

Sorry I don’t have a more positive/definitive answer, but I thought should ad their response just in case other people search for Pick Up Stix in this section.

#8 sbj

sbj

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 376 posts

Posted 22 January 2009 - 12:49 PM

I tried one here in Long Beach, CA about two months ago. In store they actually did have an allergan menu - although I see nothing online. Virtually every item listed wheat as an ingredient - other than the pad thai rice noodle bowl and plain old rice. For the pad thai bowls the shrimp is sauteed plain and the chicken is fried but uses a corn starch coating. The store owner sadly said that they don't really have much for people with gluten intolerance and he was not eager to have me eat there. I did end up ordering the pad thai shrimp bowl which was quite good and hearty, but I can't recommend Pick Up Stix to any celiacs or gluten intolerants. Better off finding a Pei wei ...

#9 CaitlinK

CaitlinK

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 05 July 2010 - 03:05 PM

I just went there today and asked to look at the allergen info. As sbj said, the Pad Thai and plain rice are the only 2 options we have at Pick up Stix.

#10 oceanmom

oceanmom

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 06 April 2011 - 05:05 PM

I have been gluten free for 10 years and have eaten successfully at the Pick Up Stix. I've not had the opportunity to go alot because I just move here. The manager at the Westlake Village, CA one has been great! He told me to tell him how to prepare it, and he would do it. I did not know about the white wine sauce and am excited to go back. Here's what I have successfully eaten:

The Pad Thai with shrimp, and I have had it with the chicken. You can have the sweet sauce it comes in.
The plain brown rice (no soy sauce, no sauce of any sort) stir fried with chicken and veggies is really good.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: