- - - - -

Brain Fog

• Please log in to reply

12 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_swezzan_*

Guest_swezzan_*
  • Guests

Posted 08 December 2007 - 12:00 PM

B) :huh: I just read a blurb from one of the forums and it was about how we get effected mentally by the gluten...It was put so eloquently that I could not have described it better:

There's also something called 'brain fog' that we all talk about experiencing, it makes us feel stupid, like we can't comprehend anything. This may be contributing to why she doesn't want to research this, it's probably too confusing and overhwelming for her right now.

Keeping in mind the above statement.............Now, that I have been away from gluten for a few yrs.....it is hit and miss at times.......But more times without gluten then with, I am having an extraordinarily hard time getting use to all the input that is coming at me all the time. It is almost like to much simulation at once. I can actually feel my brain stop info from coming in until I have been able to absorb what I have received. Then open up again for more info.

It makes it pure hell learning a new job. Makes me look like I am a dumb person at times......but I call it mind glitches because I don't know when it is going to happen and if I eat some gluten acccidentally........I appear very thick headed and dull...........bordering on stupid.

Now, that I am off SSI for asthma and no longer wheezing through the day.........I have to make a living and this is making it very difficult. Any suggestions. How have others over come this in the work place? Please e-mail me if you have any solutions. Swezzan

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Rpm999

Rpm999

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 212 posts

Posted 09 December 2007 - 04:02 PM

i don't get how people say they feel that off gluten, i feel EXACTLY that way now (not on diet yet)....to the point where once i say something, i know what i'm about to say after but space out, so everythings all broken up and i can't even remember even though i do...hard to explain, but my memory/concentration is shot to hell and emotionally/mentally so off that i can't even explain if i tried....i assume from celiac, but i can't see how it would get anything but BETTER without gluten, or am i wrong?

#3 Guest_swezzan_*

Guest_swezzan_*
  • Guests

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:04 PM

:o

I have been on a gluten free diet but every now and then I get glutenized without knowing.
It is like a trial and error thing.

this week I ended up fasting in order not to add any more in my diet. It is playing chaos with my working.

sometimes I am smart enough to do the teller job and other times I am as dumb as a board.

And now that i can see the difference in my mental capacities I am as frustrated as ever.

But hey, I will learn and deal.....that is life. I am healthier and can move and breath so life is good........but challenging. C'est la vive!! :rolleyes:

#4 Yenni

Yenni

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 515 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 05:31 PM

Brain fog is terrible. I feel a bit better, or much better, from it now this far along on the diet.
"Teflon brain" is another thing I notice I get. Things just doesn't stick.
One Celiac gene and one gluten intolerance gene (HLA-DQ 2,1).
Grain free, casein free, soy/legume free + a bunch of allergies I have had since I was a child (stone fruits, nuts..carrots)
Following the Specific Carbohydrate Diet, but no nuts, legumes or casein.

#5 nutralady2001

nutralady2001

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 181 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 10:57 AM

Teflon brain.....I like that. I have the double whammy of being hypothyroid as well as Celiac and brain fog/overwhelming fatigue is a symptom of both although am slowly getting better
Diagnosed Eczema 1964 aged 16 but with what I know now from research am sure it was Dermatitis Herpetiformis
Diagnosed Irritable Bowel Syndrome 1969 at age 21 but had it from age of 12 many painful episodes over the years( was probably Coeliac all along)
Diagnosed Hashimoto's Disease/Hypothyroid November 1994
Low B12 November 2006
Low B12 (still!) July 2007 Docs are happy with results just above low end of normal..*sigh*....still need to resolve it
Gluten free since October 2006 after failing gluten challenge
Diagnosed Hiatus Hernia and Los Angeles Grade A reflux via endoscopy October 2007
Diagnosed with Coeliac Disease via same endoscopy / biopsy October 2007 (took them long enough!) despite being gluten-free damage still evident although had been taking iron tablets for iron deficiency without realizing they contained gluten. Subsequent blood tests show :Positive Anti-Gliadin IgA EIA antibodies, Positive Endomysial antibodies ,Positive tTG IgA antibodies of 300 ("normal" range 0-15)
Auto-immune disease goes back at least 5 generations in my family (and counting) Mainly Type 1 diabetes and rheumatoid arthritis.
Number 1 Son has Type 1 diabetes ..diagnosed March 2007 at age 31, number 2 son aged 24 is A/I disease free so far ,daughter has lichen planus ( similar to psoriasis) diagnosed 2003 at age 17 am now wondering if it is DH but with flippancy of the young she won't get any testing done

#6 Joyous

Joyous

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:52 AM

I definitely get this. When I'm like that I feel like I can't talk to people. I won't be able to communicate effectively anyways, and it just feels like trying would take this huge mental effort that I just can't bring myself to make. And if someone tells me I need to run an errand it feels like the end of the world (lol). :o If someone's telling me something that I'm going to need to remember, I ask them to tell me later. :(
Joy

Not gluten free yet because I'm waiting to be tested.

#7 GregC

GregC

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 19 posts

Posted 14 January 2008 - 08:23 PM

Word people! I go through the fog alot, i guess i'm still eating something with wheat or gluten in it.This is so terrible.. :(

#8 CuriousOne

CuriousOne

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 07:56 AM

sorry to hear that Greg. Hope you can find your triggers and get rid of them!!
I eat whatever I want. But I listen to my body. I just can't eat a lot of diary or grains. If I do eat them, I savor and chew them slowly and well... I don't like feeling sluggish and if I eat alot of those things I start feeling sluggish. I feel very cleaned out now. I like to eat lots of raw fruits and veggies. I think for me I just can't eat things that are inflammatory, and dairy and all grains are inflammatory to me. So looks like I'll be eating mainly fruits, veggies, wild or grass-fed meats, and figure out what other stuff I can eat thats not too inflammatory. I'll probably also drink wine or brandy and use other plants things that are anti-inflammatory. Yeah!

#9 bigfootme

bigfootme

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 4 posts

Posted 20 January 2008 - 08:53 AM

Definitely difficult to learn a new job or remember much of anything with this so called "brain fog". My doctor did run a test and found that I had extremely low folate which can lead to memory problems. I have been taking folate now for a couple of months and haven't been retested but I believe that it has helped some.

#10 Guest_swezzan_*

Guest_swezzan_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 February 2008 - 04:37 PM

Hello everyone,

Ididn't make it as a Teller. Brain Fog and Teflon brain defeated that attempt. But don't worry tomorrow is another day.

Learning our triggers seem to be what we need to do. Dumbie me, a friend of mine had back surgery and I thought I would help by cleaning the cat litter. She had been in the hospital for 5 days and it was pretty awful when we went into the house of 5 cats.

I know she was in misery after back surgery but somehow I still think she should have realized that the litter she chose was "Wheat Litter". Needless to say, I was weakbefore I finished the cat box and after 3 weeks still not fully recuperated. Apparently, it weakened my immune system and I have a good cold and wheezing some. Haven't had either in a few years since not eating gluten. I guess breathing it and for the length of time was drastic to my system. My face broke out with large pimples. Live and Learn I guess. I am glad I helped my friend but next time I will ask questions before I attempt to do something I usually don't do.

I hope all of you are getting some fix on how to avoid the brain fog and teflon thing. I feel better knowing that I am not dumb........just stunned for a time see you all later and good luck and let me know how you are all doing =)

#11 Quasior

Quasior

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 26 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 03:49 PM

It's frustrating when you KNOW you're smart and your brain fog gets you.
I used to call it my little black cloud.
Now I know what it is.

I feel for anyone with this problem! My sister has it worse than I do...

#12 UnhappyCoeliac

UnhappyCoeliac

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 171 posts

Posted 02 April 2009 - 04:04 PM

I donty know If I have this but I get basically

I make a statement
its challenged
tough time thinking of reply

I am constantly CONSTANTLY i tell you 'searching for the right word' all theee

#13 Switch2GF

Switch2GF

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 04 April 2009 - 08:02 PM

I found a great article on "brain fog" from Linda "the gluten free homemaker". I reposted it and added my own comments on my blog: http://switch2gluten...-eating-gluten/

Here is an excerpt and decent medical explanation...

"Intestinal permeability is part of the reaction that takes place when someone with celiac disease eats gluten. To put it simply, molecules that should be kept within the intestines are able to “leak” out into the bloodstream. Gluten is one of those molecules. When gluten is carried by the blood to the brain, it causes problems. Dr. Fasano explained that the gluten molecule is similar to endorphins which, along with other things, give us a sense of well-being. The gluten molecules will dock where endorphins are supposed to dock. In effect, gluten blocks endorphins and the positive feelings they can give us."
Mike H.
Kansas City

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: