This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Garlic Jim's Gluten Free Pizza

celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy Collaborator

I don't know if this is just here in my neighborhood or all over, but they're advertising it here. Just wanted to know if anyone has tried it and had any problems?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

cruelshoes Enthusiast

WHAT??? Garlic Jim's has gluten-free pizza? We have one of those in our town - I wonder if it's available there. I just sent an email to their head office to find out.

Hope someone can tell you how it is. I'd love to try it.

Generic Apprentice

I would be in heaven! We have one in our area too. Never heard of a gluten-free pizza, then again I usually just throw out the flyers without looking at them. That would be so great....

JennyC Enthusiast

Really??? We have one in our area too. I will have to call them.

Really??? We have one in our area too. I will have to call them.

I'll try to remember to call ours tomorrow, it's been a busy week! If it sounds like a go, you and Tristan should come over for dinner!! It just scares me....! (the cc, not the having you over for dinner part ;) )

JennyC Enthusiast

We would love that. Yes, the cc issues scare me as well. I had planned to avoid eating out for a while. We went to the Hawthorne Fish House three times now, and two times he got sick. I'm not sure if it was cc because one time I later found out there was a tummy bug going around at daycare and the other time I found out my mom accidentally cooked him GLUTEN PASTA! :blink:

bakingbarb Enthusiast

I have 2 just up the street from me!! I would love to know if this is true.

A friend sent us on a wild goose chase although he meant well. He thought a deli by Boeing had a gluten free sandwich. It was the wraps menu and he assumed it wasn't bread so it was ok. lol it was nice that he thought of me but it's a good thing he doens't cook for me!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

I just spoke with our local branch--Salmon Creek for those of you out here. They get their crusts from a local gluten-free bakery (Bavarian Mills (?)) I've heard they're pretty good--anyway, the crusts are kept separate from the gluten crusts, prepared separate, only gluten-free ingredients are used, they come in medium and large and are 2$ more per pizza (based on the menu prices) We will be trying it out this weekend, I'll keep you posted. For those of you who have these restaurants in your area, contact them and let them know you would like to have this option--we need more like them!!!

So, we tried the pizza. I personally didn't care for the crust, my husband thought it was OK, but my DD LOVED it! Which is what really matters, right! So I feel good about ordering it for her, she ate 3 pieces and had no problems. I talked to the staff at length and they were really great with me. Overall, it was a good experience and I know we will eat there again! :)

• 1 year later...
bette spada Newbie

I TOOK MY DAUGHTER YESTURDAY AND SHE WAS SO HAPPY TO FINALLY HAVE PIZZA AGAIN. IT WAS WONDERFUL, IT TASTED WONDERFUL AND SHE HAD NO REACTION. WE TALKED A LONG TIME TO THE LADY BEHIND THE COUNTER AND SHE ANSWERED EVERY QUESTION AND CONCERN WE HAD. WE FELT THAT MY DAUGHTER WAS SAFE. IT IS A BIT EXPENSIVE AROUND $18.00 FOR A MEDIUM BUT IT WAS WELL WORTH THE SMILE ON MY DAUGHTERS FACE.

Juliebove Rising Star

Just curious. We've never been there. The one closest to us would be Bothell/Woodinville. Does anyone know if it is a dine in place? Or just delivery/takeout? Thanks!

bette spada Newbie

The one in our area is a sit down or take out, you could call them to make sure in your area.

We found it best to go before the dinner rush because my daughter started to react when they started to make the regular pizza crust for the dinner rush. We will have to order it to go if we want to get it during the dinner rush. It was very injoyable to sit there and watch her enjoying herself but timing will be important for us to keep her safe. before 4pm is best for us.

Juliebove Rising Star
The one in our area is a sit down or take out, you could call them to make sure in your area.

We found it best to go before the dinner rush because my daughter started to react when they started to make the regular pizza crust for the dinner rush. We will have to order it to go if we want to get it during the dinner rush. It was very injoyable to sit there and watch her enjoying herself but timing will be important for us to keep her safe. before 4pm is best for us.

Thanks!

• 2 weeks later...
CLeeB Rookie

N End Tacoma store has it too. I've had it 2-3 times. The crust is OK - I think we've made better gluten-free pizza crust at home. But it's much better with the basil pesto than with the red sauce. That is just my taste buds though...everyone has different preferences. I think the idea of ordering pizza while on a gluten-free diet is kind of liberating and "normalizing."

Last week, there was a writeup in the Tacoma News Tribune about gluten-free restaurants in Tacoma. As my wife said the other day with tongue firmly in cheek, "you picked a good time to go gluten-free." Open Original Shared Link

• 4 weeks later...
mytummyhurts Contributor
I have 2 just up the street from me!! I would love to know if this is true.

A friend sent us on a wild goose chase although he meant well. He thought a deli by Boeing had a gluten free sandwich. It was the wraps menu and he assumed it wasn't bread so it was ok. lol it was nice that he thought of me but it's a good thing he doens't cook for me!

I don't know where you live exactly, but have you been to Haley's Corner Bakery in Kent? They have gluten-free pizza and yummy goodies. It is exclusively gluten-free, so no worries about cc.

The Garlic Jim's on South Hill just started doing this and the one in Lakewood has for a while. I personally haven't had one, but I guess they all go through training about cc and have someone come in from GIG to help with training. They supposedly prepare them in a separate room from regular pizzas.

Another good place for gluten-free stuff is Organic Comfort Foods in downtown Puyallup. They use Haleys' bread to make sandwiches and they will try to have a gluten-free casserole on hand. I had a "Nikki's sandwich" on gluten-free bread and it was pretty yummy. I think they said all their salad dressings are gluten-free too.

IAmSara Newbie
Just curious. We've never been there. The one closest to us would be Bothell/Woodinville. Does anyone know if it is a dine in place? Or just delivery/takeout? Thanks!

I'm in Bellevue, WA. The one at Eastgate plaza is dine-in and they are super helpful. It really made Valentines Day awesome to have pizza for the first time in a year. I ordered Chicken Bacon Ranch. It was a little low on bacon, but very delicious. Absolutely no symptoms.

Check out their web page for dine-in and gluten free offering locations.

Rivergirl Apprentice

I also saw the article in the Tacoma paper about Garlic Jim's while visiting my brother and I immediately called in an order to the Tacoma store. The kid on the other end informed me - they were out and couldn't stock the gluten free pizza crust fast enough. He suggested Federal Way. I went out of my way on my trip home and order 3 different kinds to go. On my trip back to Eastern Washington, I ate one of each kind (the pepperoni and mushroom - canadian bacon and pineapple - and the basil pesto). All were good (not fabulous, but good). When I got home, I wrapped about two pieces in tin foil and froze it for future lunches. It works out great: unwrap, but on a dish, zap it for 3 minutes - viola, lunch. I recommend calling ahead to make sure they are not out - seems like a pretty popular request.

mytummyhurts Contributor

I went to the Garlic Jim's on South Hill this past Sunday and got the Chicken Bacon Ranch pizza. It was really yummy!! I would recommend it. I saved the leftovers and it was gone in less than a day (with just me eating it). It's one of those pizzas that tasted even better as a leftover. The crust was really thin, but good. It was kind of spendy, $18.99+tax for a medium. But I would tell any celiac who misses pizza to try it. If you go to their website they have a gluten free menu.

mytummyhurts Contributor
Check out their web page for dine-in and gluten free offering locations.

The one on South Hill didn't come up when I asked for gluten free locations, but I knew they offered it due to info from friends. So, I'm not sure how up to date their gluten free locations are on the web page.

CLeeB Rookie

Just ordered it again last Friday. The kids love pizza and movie night at home. Does anyone else think they changed the gluten-free crust? Maybe they just cooked this one longer than previously, but the crust seemed thinner, and more oily than before.

• 5 years later...
Std Nrd Newbie

We have tried this pizza, its OK.  They seem to be really good about cross contamination, even the flour for non gluten free pizza is gluten free, so all the flour dust is gluten free.  But, they use the same ovens, so it is possible, even very likely, that the pizza will touch agains another non gluten free pizza in the oven.  Just being realistic.  This may be OK for some people, it should be very minimal contact, but I ordered one the other day and watched them take the gluten-free pizza out of the oven.  It touched another non gluten-free pizza when the brought it out of the oven.

Maybe they have training to not do that, but your are not going to get the same result 100% of the time.  I saw what I saw.

You may not get sick, I guess it depends on how sensitive you are.  Does anyone know for sure if they've eaten this and still had good iron absorption after say 3-6 months?

kareng Grand Master

We have tried this pizza, its OK.  They seem to be really good about cross contamination, even the flour for non gluten free pizza is gluten free, so all the flour dust is gluten free.  But, they use the same ovens, so it is possible, even very likely, that the pizza will touch agains another non gluten free pizza in the oven.  Just being realistic.  This may be OK for some people, it should be very minimal contact, but I ordered one the other day and watched them take the gluten-free pizza out of the oven.  It touched another non gluten-free pizza when the brought it out of the oven.

Maybe they have training to not do that, but your are not going to get the same result 100% of the time.  I saw what I saw.

You may not get sick, I guess it depends on how sensitive you are.  Does anyone know for sure if they've eaten this and still had good iron absorption after say 3-6 months?

One slight contamination should not cause sufficient villi damage to mess up your iron absorption. Perhaps if you eat something with cc every day for 3 months? Were you looking for people who eat this pizza everyday? :)

Archived