5 replies to this topic

#1 Amy.F

Amy.F

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 07:38 AM

Hello, my name is Amy and I am 22 years old, I was diagnosed with Ciliacs about a week ago and being that I have about 10 holiday parties coming up in the next few weeks I thought I could use some help from more experienced gluten-free eaters.

I have made an appointment with the nutritionist Dr. Ann Lee from the Columbia Celiac Disease Center and hopefully she will be able to help me with finding foods that I can eat when I go out to dinner. Living in NYC I eat out quite often and I am not willing to give up that luxury. I do enjoy cooking and so far I have not had a problem avoiding gluten at home.

Does anyone have any helpful hints for a newcomer to the gluten-free club?

I would love any information from recipes to local resources.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mamaw

mamaw

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,954 posts

Posted 12 December 2007 - 11:44 AM

Hi Amy,

Welcome th the world of celiacs.....I guess my first thought for a newcomer is DO NOT CHEAT, once you cheat & get away with it , it becomes eaasier to do it over & over again. It sounds like you have a handle on this already & a game plan too. Good for you to face this head-on.I love your postive attitude.....
You are lucky to be NY where there are many choices. Go to the reatarant section & you will find many places to dine in NY.
I do alot of mailorder from NY. My favorites are: Everybody Eats crusty rolls & baguettes (Brooklyn Area). Joans gfgreatbakes from Merrick Ny , bagels & eng muffins. Against the grain rolls for hamburgers & deli type sandwiches from Battleboro , VT. The Shabati Gourmet has rainbow cookies & loads of goodies all good.Rich's has gluten-free brownies, breads, hoagie rolls ......
I'm not sure where you are in NY but Feel-Rite Markets have a good selection of gluten-free stuff & Whole Foods...........
If I can be of any help please e-mail me.

mamaw

#3 jkmunchkin

jkmunchkin

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,540 posts

Posted 13 December 2007 - 11:59 AM

Hi Amy,

Like Mamaw said, you are lucky to be in NY. I also live in NY (live in Westchester, work in NYC) and I always say I can't imagine living anywhere else with this.

Check out this link for a bunch of restaurants in NY with gluten-free menus.

http://www.glutenfreerestaurants.org/

You can do a quick search on here where myself and others have recommended several of them.

Whole Foods has a line called Gluten Free Bakehouse with many specialty gluten free products, many of them are quite good. I do a lot of shopping outside the city (in Westchester, Long Island & CT), but let me know if you ever venture to those areas because there are smaller, privately owned health food stores that carry a lot of incredible products (in my opinion the better ones) than Whole Foods or Trader Joe's. One of my favorite brands for breads, cookies, graham crackers, etc. is The Grainless Baker. I don't know anywhere in the city to get their stuff, but know several places outside the city (and you can always order).

I also met with Anne Lee when I was 1st diagnosed and she is very helpful.

Unfortunately when it comes to parties I generally just eat before or after. I was lucky that this year my work party was at Hill Country (a new BBQ place in Chelsea) and I called before hand to find out if anything was safe and a lot of it was. But most parties are just passed h'ordeurves (sp?), and generally never safe.

Feel free to email me, and I can hopefully give you lots and lots of tips.
Jillian

Positive Blood test and Biopsy
Inflamed stomach lining
Gluten free since July 6, 2005
Tarrytown, NY

"Sometimes being a b$tch is all a woman has to hold onto." - Dolores Claiborne

#4 lisad49

lisad49

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:07 AM

Unfortunately when it comes to parties I generally just eat before or after. I was lucky that this year my work party was at Hill Country (a new BBQ place in Chelsea) and I called before hand to find out if anything was safe and a lot of it was. But most parties are just passed h'ordeurves (sp?), and generally never safe.

Hi Jkmunchkin,
Do you remember what you had a Hill Country? I am actually going there this weekend and would love to know what is safe.
Thanks so much!
Lisa

#5 lisad49

lisad49

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 3 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 09:07 AM

Hi Jkmunchkin,
Do you remember what you had a Hill Country? I am actually going there this weekend and would love to know what is safe.
Thanks so much!
Lisa

#6 Janessa

Janessa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 118 posts

Posted 25 June 2008 - 01:25 PM

I live in California but was in NYC recently for work, I wrote down all the great places I ate at while I was there

http://www.vegiac.co...w_york-623.html

You are so lucky to be in NYC, you probably have more choices that anywhere else in the country
peanut free Nov 06, gluten free June 07, corn and soy free July 08, latex free Oct 08 Banana and kiwi cross reacting with latex allergy
happily vegetarian

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: