6 replies to this topic

#1 whitelacegal

whitelacegal

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 69 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 10:25 AM

Can someone please tell me what i can eat beside the french fries at Mcdonalds what about at Burger king or Wendy's? Going to florida for Xmas and wondered what i could have as my family gobbles down there burgers? thanks

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 11:15 AM

McDonald's and Wendy's have a list of their gluten-free items and Burger King has an allergy list. Just go to the web sites and look under "menu" or "nutrition." My favorite, though, is the Hardee's low-carb Thickburger (fries are NOT gluten-free because the fryer isn't dedicated). The McDonald's burger without the bun is gluten-free but TERRIBLE, IMO. The Burger King Whopper is in between McD and Hardee's.

richard

#3 dbuhl79

dbuhl79

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 132 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 11:57 AM

I know that Wendy's chili is gluten free, and has been a standard for me when I need a quick fix at a fast food resturant. Its delicious! I come to crave it now! Really check out there gluten-free menu items, its great that they have them!
Positive Dietary Challenge, firmly believing gluten-free is the way to be!
gluten-free since Nov. 18, 2004.

Always learning along with the rest of everyone else... a never ending process.
Dana :)

#4 pixiegirl

pixiegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 01:51 PM

When i was traveling to Florida for thanksgiving I ate Wendy's chili and I got totally sick about a half hour after. It was all I had so I felt sure there was gluten in it.

Susan

#5 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 03 December 2004 - 06:53 PM

As to the Wendy's chili -- you eat at a fast food place, you take a HUGE chance of contamination. That's just the way it is.

richard

#6 pixiegirl

pixiegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 04 December 2004 - 03:56 AM

Yes I'm sure thats what happened at Wendy's, that it got contaminated at some point. I had asked the "manager" (about 19 years old) there about gluten free and he was lost, had no idea what gluten free was and was not helpful. Oh well, sometimes its what you have to do.... next time I will do their baked potato but I did notice that they serve it with margerine and/or sour cream, so I'm not sure it that stuff is gluten-free. I've never used margerine, yuck.

Susan

#7 ryebaby0

ryebaby0

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 502 posts

Posted 05 December 2004 - 06:54 PM

With the caveat that every fast food meal is subject to how closely any franchise follows corporate --- my son eats very often at McDonalds--the burgers are easily ordered without the bun (but they call it a muffin, for some weird reason) and come garnished and in a salad container (or sometimes in a whopper box). The sausage patty, plain and hash browns have never made him react. We've gone thru the drive thru in a million different places and never had a problem or a reaction. (Your results may differ!)

At Wendy's, we only get a frosty through the drive-thru. I don't trust their kitchens, but the baked potatoes are gluten-free. Just point out to them that you have a severe food issue and will be puking during their shift if they don't do this right. (We have found this to get their attention much faster than a classic explanation of celiac)

We don't do Burger King, I don't trust their kitchen either. The assembly process is different and x-contam. is everywhere....
Mom/wife to celiacs dx 12/03 and 12/04

Success is never final and failure never fatal. It's courage that counts -George Tilton

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: