Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Nature's Path Oatmeal?

10 posts in this topic

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum but I'm trying to follow the gluten free diet now. I went shopping at this awesome grocery store called Earth Fare, it has lots of organic and specialty foods, and I found some oatmeal that is "Nature's Path" brand.

It says "may contain traces of peanuts, tree nuts, or soy" but it doesn't say anything about wheat. I guess the oats are organic and harvested on some farm somewhere, but wouldn't it have to say on the package if it contained wheat or traces of wheat?

There is a website too, www.naturespath.com

-Katie

Ads by Google:

If it doesnt say wheat, then it shouldn't contain wheat, on any food excpet oats. Just make sure that it is grown in a dedicated gluten free field, not just an organic field. Organic oats are not gluten free unless it specifically is listed as "gluten free." Hope that helps.

I have never heard of Nature's Path as being one of the gluten-free oats available in this country. If they don't say gluten-free, I don't think you can assume the absence of the traditional cross-contamination of oats with wheat. Indeed, my assumption would be that wheat is present.

The labeling law only requires the disclosure of intentional ingredients, those deliberately put into the product. Anything said about the presence of allergens some other way is purely voluntary.

What the FDA told industry:

Does FALCPA require food manufacturers to label their products with advisory statements, such as "may contain [allergen]" or "processed in a facility that also processes [allergen]?"

No. FALCPA does not address the use of advisory labeling, including statements describing the potential presence of unintentional ingredients in food products resulting from the food manufacturing process. ...

[Added December, 2005] Is a major food allergen that has been unintentionally added to a food as the result of cross-contact subject to FALCPA's labeling requirements?

No. FALCPA's labeling requirements do not apply to major food allergens that are unintentionally added to a food as the result of cross-contact. In the context of food allergens, "cross-contact " occurs when a residue or other trace amount of an allergenic food is unintentionally incorporated into another food that is not intended to contain that allergenic food. Cross-contact may result from customary methods of growing and harvesting crops, as well as from the use of shared storage, transportation, or production equipment.

http://www.cfsan.fda.gov/~dms/alrguid4.html

Oats are contaminated in the growing and storing process. It would not say contains wheat if this happened, because labeling does not show cross contamination. Do not eat oats unless they say certified gluten free. Bob' Red Mill now has one.

Oats are contaminated in the growing and storing process. It would not say contains wheat if this happened, because labeling does not show cross contamination. Do not eat oats unless they say certified gluten free. Bob' Red Mill now has one.

THanks guys, I will do some more research and find out if they have any wheat products there or grow it at that farm at all.

-Katie

I've been on their website and they do have gluten-free products. I don't think their oatmeal is on the list.

Sorry :(

I've been on their website and they do have gluten-free products. I don't think their oatmeal is on the list.

Sorry :(

My dermatologist, of all people, informed me that if one eats imported Irish oats that they are not contaminated...so I tried and have been eating McCaan's without any negative result.

Sorry, your dermatologist is misinformed. A little googling discloses a study that was done for cross-contamination. It looks like one has to pay for the actual study. But I found it discussed here:

http://news.healingwell.com/?p=news1&id=522133

You can see that McCann's was one of the brands tested and more than one sample was contaminated. The fact you notice no damage is no guarantee that you aren't being damaged. I think it would be better to stick to certified gluten-free oats. McCann's won't offer this certification.