9 replies to this topic

#1 USMCgirl05

USMCgirl05

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 07:36 AM

Hi guys, I'm new to this forum but I'm trying to follow the gluten free diet now. I went shopping at this awesome grocery store called Earth Fare, it has lots of organic and specialty foods, and I found some oatmeal that is "Nature's Path" brand.
It says "may contain traces of peanuts, tree nuts, or soy" but it doesn't say anything about wheat. I guess the oats are organic and harvested on some farm somewhere, but wouldn't it have to say on the package if it contained wheat or traces of wheat?

There is a website too, www.naturespath.com

-Katie

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 pugluver31902

pugluver31902

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:17 AM

If it doesnt say wheat, then it shouldn't contain wheat, on any food excpet oats. Just make sure that it is grown in a dedicated gluten free field, not just an organic field. Organic oats are not gluten free unless it specifically is listed as "gluten free." Hope that helps.

#3 hathor

hathor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 08:42 AM

I have never heard of Nature's Path as being one of the gluten-free oats available in this country. If they don't say gluten-free, I don't think you can assume the absence of the traditional cross-contamination of oats with wheat. Indeed, my assumption would be that wheat is present.

The labeling law only requires the disclosure of intentional ingredients, those deliberately put into the product. Anything said about the presence of allergens some other way is purely voluntary.

What the FDA told industry:

Does FALCPA require food manufacturers to label their products with advisory statements, such as "may contain [allergen]" or "processed in a facility that also processes [allergen]?"
No. FALCPA does not address the use of advisory labeling, including statements describing the potential presence of unintentional ingredients in food products resulting from the food manufacturing process. ...

[Added December, 2005] Is a major food allergen that has been unintentionally added to a food as the result of cross-contact subject to FALCPA's labeling requirements?
No. FALCPA's labeling requirements do not apply to major food allergens that are unintentionally added to a food as the result of cross-contact. In the context of food allergens, "cross-contact " occurs when a residue or other trace amount of an allergenic food is unintentionally incorporated into another food that is not intended to contain that allergenic food. Cross-contact may result from customary methods of growing and harvesting crops, as well as from the use of shared storage, transportation, or production equipment.
http://www.cfsan.fda...s/alrguid4.html

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00
Gluten free since 1/6/07
Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07
Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07
Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)
Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)
Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)
Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)
Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)
Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

#4 loraleena

loraleena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:13 AM

Oats are contaminated in the growing and storing process. It would not say contains wheat if this happened, because labeling does not show cross contamination. Do not eat oats unless they say certified gluten free. Bob' Red Mill now has one.

#5 loraleena

loraleena

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 848 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:14 AM

Oats are contaminated in the growing and storing process. It would not say contains wheat if this happened, because labeling does not show cross contamination. Do not eat oats unless they say certified gluten free. Bob' Red Mill now has one.

#6 USMCgirl05

USMCgirl05

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 09:44 AM

THanks guys, I will do some more research and find out if they have any wheat products there or grow it at that farm at all.

-Katie

#7 Rosebud710

Rosebud710

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 03:03 PM

I've been on their website and they do have gluten-free products. I don't think their oatmeal is on the list.

Sorry :(

Laura

Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism 1992
Diagnosed Adult ADD and Panic Disorder 2005
Diagnosed Gluten Intolerant 2006

#8 Rosebud710

Rosebud710

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 145 posts

Posted 18 December 2007 - 03:03 PM

I've been on their website and they do have gluten-free products. I don't think their oatmeal is on the list.

Sorry :(

Laura

Diagnosed with Hypothyroidism 1992
Diagnosed Adult ADD and Panic Disorder 2005
Diagnosed Gluten Intolerant 2006

#9 saaa-wheat<3

saaa-wheat<3

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 08:59 AM

My dermatologist, of all people, informed me that if one eats imported Irish oats that they are not contaminated...so I tried and have been eating McCaan's without any negative result.
Gluten-free after trying unsuccessfully and falling off wagon and becoming so sick--this is when the docs found the Hashimoto's, 2003. I have not eaten gluten willingly since then, until January, 2013. Past GI symptoms, delayed DH rash, biopsies on both have been negative, as well as IgE (all tests performed while not willingly consuming gluten). GERD dx in 2007, citric acid is worst offender. Mushrooms (the regular kind, that is) cause GI symptoms along with occasional rash (different than DH, the red dot kind) and I now wonder how many times I got sick from mushrooms and thought it was gluten contamination.

#10 hathor

hathor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 20 December 2007 - 11:59 AM

Sorry, your dermatologist is misinformed. A little googling discloses a study that was done for cross-contamination. It looks like one has to pay for the actual study. But I found it discussed here:
http://news.healingw...news1&id=522133
You can see that McCann's was one of the brands tested and more than one sample was contaminated. The fact you notice no damage is no guarantee that you aren't being damaged. I think it would be better to stick to certified gluten-free oats. McCann's won't offer this certification.

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00
Gluten free since 1/6/07
Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07
Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07
Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)
Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)
Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)
Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)
Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)
Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: