21 replies to this topic

#1 mama2two

mama2two

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:48 AM

Is jello gelatin gluten free? I looked at the ingredients and did not think it contained gluten, but now I am wondering because my daughter is acting like she has had gluten. We also try the blue diamond nut crackers ranch flavored, now those have milk and she does not really tolerate milk well, so it may be this, she loved these and has begged me to buy more, but I don't think I will.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:52 AM

Is jello gelatin gluten free? I looked at the ingredients and did not think it contained gluten, but now I am wondering because my daughter is acting like she has had gluten. We also try the blue diamond nut crackers ranch flavored, now those have milk and she does not really tolerate milk well, so it may be this, she loved these and has begged me to buy more, but I don't think I will.

Jello is infact gluten free.

On the other hand, Blue Diamond Crackers, if you look at the box, I believe it says that is "is processed on a facility that processes wheat..." There might be a cross contamination issue with the crackers. They have never bothered me.

Milk products may also be an issue if she is in the early stages of healing.
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#3 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 19 December 2007 - 06:58 AM

Between the Jello and the Blue Diamond--I'd go with the crackers being the cause of her symptoms. I've not had them, but I've seen on here that several have had problems with them. If she is sensitive to dairy, that could have made it worse.

Jello is definately gluten-free. :)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#4 Pame

Pame

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 16 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 01:42 PM

you might also consider that jello contains an msg in the citric acid at the least and other food colorings that might be the problem. I can't have jello due to the msg. Makes gluten free even harder when you ad the msg problem but I feel a whole lot better if I can not eat it. It's not easy. If you are interested in learning more tryo out the truth in labeling website for other msg hidden sources
Pame

#5 jackay

jackay

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 615 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 02:08 PM

you might also consider that jello contains an msg in the citric acid at the least and other food colorings that might be the problem. I can't have jello due to the msg. Makes gluten free even harder when you ad the msg problem but I feel a whole lot better if I can not eat it. It's not easy. If you are interested in learning more tryo out the truth in labeling website for other msg hidden sources
Pame

Jello contains msg? That's news to me. I normally avoid it because of the artificial flavoring and coloring.

#6 sb2178

sb2178

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 793 posts

Posted 03 May 2011 - 05:10 PM

You can use plain gelatin with something like cranberry juice. (Or, cider, champagne and strawberries, plum puree...)

2/2010 Malabsorption becomes dramatically noticable
3/2010 Negative IgA EMA; negative IgA TTG
4/2010 Negative biopsy
5/2010 Elimination diet; symptoms begin to resolve on gluten-free diet round two (10 days)
5/2010 Diagnosed gluten sensitive based on weakly positive repeat IgA & IgG TTGs and dietary response; decline capsule endoscopy.

Now, what to do about my cookbook in progress? Make it gluten-free?

#7 maximoo

maximoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 01:08 PM

Jello is made from the hide of animals like goats, pigs, horses. Once I found that out I will never eat or let my kids eat it again. Many people do not care and will continue to eat it but really theres no nutritional value in it, its not filling, Its just like jellied kool aid! Hospitals should discontinue feeding jello to their patients IMHO It is worthless.

#8 Kelleybean

Kelleybean

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 263 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 02:27 PM

Along the lines of what someone else said, could she be reacting to the food coloring? My son gets crazy sometimes after having food dye - he'll start running laps around the house. I don't buy anything with the food dyes any more.

#9 RL2011

RL2011

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 115 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 03:57 PM

Jello is made from the hide of animals like goats, pigs, horses. Once I found that out I will never eat or let my kids eat it again. Many people do not care and will continue to eat it but really theres no nutritional value in it, its not filling, Its just like jellied kool aid! Hospitals should discontinue feeding jello to their patients IMHO It is worthless.

Looks like I will never eat Jello again. Yuk, made from hides.

Richard

#10 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 12 June 2011 - 06:52 PM

Gelatin is typically derived from animal tissue, although not often from hide. It is a concern for those who keep Kashrut or Halal, since it can be derived from porcine sources. It is gluten-free.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#11 stanleymonkey

stanleymonkey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 257 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 07:47 AM

could it be the colours? we discovered our daughter goes crazy from red or orange jello

#12 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 08:28 AM

Gelatin is typically derived from animal tissue, although not often from hide. It is a concern for those who keep Kashrut or Halal, since it can be derived from porcine sources. It is gluten-free.

I feel like our ancestors made use of every bit of the animal, wasting nothing, so we can too. But my boys have friends that can't have anything with gelatin listed (in a lot of candies) because it could be from pork.

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

#13 maximoo

maximoo

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 336 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 05:51 PM

sawyer I have read many sources and all concur that jello is made from the hides not other parts/tissue. In any event it is nasty and I'll never
eat it again.

Karen I agree that ancestors wasted nothing but in modern times we know better or should know better. Now all the by products(eyes, talons, feathers, etc) are put in pet food.

#14 psawyer

psawyer

• PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 7,057 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:28 PM

sawyer I have read many sources and all concur that jello is made from the hides not other parts/tissue. In any event it is nasty and I'll never
eat it again.

Karen I agree that ancestors wasted nothing but in modern times we know better or should know better. Now all the by products(eyes, talons, feathers, etc) are put in pet food.

Most of the cases of gelatin that I have looked into have come from bones or hooves. Gelatin is a binder, so you want strength, not stretch.

I don't know what your source for the pet food claim is (post it if you have one), BUT your post implies something that is not true.

Some pet foods contain "byproduct meal" but most do not. Not all meal is "byproduct meal." Organs, such as kidneys and spleens which provide good nutritive value, are classified as "byproducts" for labeling purposes. Just because an ingredient could legally contain something does not necessarily mean that it does.

As a counterexample, "lamb meal" is the clean meat from a lamb, rendered to remove fat and moisture. It is a concentrated, high-quality protein source.

I know my post isn't going to change your thinking, but I do want members to see both sides of the question.
Peter
Diagnosis by biopsy of practically non-existent villi; gluten-free since July 2000.
Type 1 (autoimmune) diabetes diagnosed in March 1986
Markham, Ontario (borders on Toronto)

Celiac.com - Celiac Disease Board Moderator

#15 kareng

kareng

Gobble! Gobble!

• Moderators
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 14,234 posts

Posted 13 June 2011 - 06:38 PM

eat it again.

Why do you say we should know better? It's kinda gross but is it really dangerous to eat the eyes, or ligaments or hide in small quantities? :blink:

Thanksgiving dinners take 18 hours to prepare.  They are consumed in 12 minutes.  Half-times take 12 minutes.  This is not a coincidence.  - Emma Bombeck

dancing-turkey.gif

2 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 2 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: