24 replies to this topic

#16 mcc0523

mcc0523

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 35 posts

Posted 28 January 2011 - 09:38 AM

When I was undiagnosed, I ended up in mental hospitals 12 different times. The majority of the hospitalizations were after a gluten binge (cookies, crackers, bread... any commercial wheat based product). My two suicide attempts were after eating pretty much nothing but wheat the week or two preceding.

I've been gluten free for a week now. The past few months, I have decreased my consumption of it in my diet, had it perhaps 2 times a week (for one meal). Depression symptoms started to lift, just slightly. This past week the symptoms have lifted even more... at least until night before last when I got glutened. I woke up and nearly cried at the Hallmark commercial, and my thoughts have been a bit dark. From what little improvement I have seen from even imperfectly going gluten free the past few months, I'm really excited about how my symptoms will improve from cutting it out completely. My joint pain is... not an 8 now. Perhaps just a 7, but it being down to a 7, again, makes me hopeful that I'll find at least SOME relief. I know I can't change my collagen, but if forgoing gluten will keep it from degrading as quickly, and lessen the inflammation that has made the joint pain become so unbearable at times these past few years, then I will be thrilled. By the second day of completely gluten-free, the nausea I feel from the moment I wake up until I go to bed has almost completely gone away. Some of my social anxiety was more to do with, "Where are all the bathrooms, and how quickly can I get to the closest one if I have V or D?" and not wanting to embarrass myself because of symptoms I couldn't control. I hope the more those go away, the more at ease I'll feel in public.

I am VERY malnourished. According to my last blood panel, there are no detectable levels of Niacin in my body, and my vitamin D is 8. My doctor didn't run any more vitamin levels at that time, but I wouldn't be surprised if the untested ones aren't abnormally low as well. Low B vitamins (and all of them, actually) can cause symptoms of depression, anxiety, and other neurological symptoms, too.
DX: Ehlers-danlos syndrome, cervical syrinx, Postural Orthostatic Tachycardia Syndrome, Barrett's Esophagus, GERD, osteoporosis, thyroid disease, anemia, hypokalemia, niacin deficiency, vitamin D deficiency and various other malnutritions.

Although not diagnosed officially yet, I have suspected celiac since October of 2010. At least 2 separate physicians who are experts with collagen deficiencies (such as Ehlers-danlos syndrome) have mentioned the possibility to me, and one has tested (although I haven't gotten the results back yet).

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Zary

Zary

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 5 posts

Posted 02 February 2011 - 05:04 PM

I had a lot of anxiety over seemingly random things despite the fact that I have a pretty good life. I couldn't figure it out. After going gluten-free, all that stopped. It did take a while before it completely went away, just like with all the other symptoms I had (migraines, tummy rumbling, etc...).

#18 Jamie_S

Jamie_S

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 23 February 2011 - 06:41 PM

Wow. I am really loving reading this site. I have had social anxiety since I was a little kid, and no matter how hard I tried to deal with it it never worked. Interesting to think that staying on the gluten free diet may help with my anxiety. Can't wait to see what prolonged gluten free eating may do with the anxiety. My husband would be thrilled if my anxiety went away and we could actually go out without me feeling uncomfortable.

#19 koolsharkz

koolsharkz

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 07 March 2011 - 12:46 PM

I agree, this is all incredibly comforting to read! I went gluten-free for a month, and toward the end noticed a decrease in my depression for the first time in quite a while... it was so exciting! Now I'm glutening myself again so that I can be tested, and within a week, depression is back in full-force. Sometimes I'm in a good mood, then I eat a piece of bread, and an hour later I'm crying for no apparent reason. I'm looking forward to the tests being done so that I can fell better permanently!

#20 Februaryrich

Februaryrich

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 60 posts

Posted 19 September 2011 - 05:23 PM

First symptom to appear if I get glutened
Gluten free since 01/09/11
Food intolerance to be determined!

#21 jmrogers31

jmrogers31

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 74 posts

Posted 22 September 2011 - 10:26 AM

This is why I wish I would have known about gluten intolerance and celiac 20 years ago. I have always been extremely anxious and kept to myself as a kid and teenager because I was so anxious around people I didn't know. As an adult, I avoided confrontations at all costs even if it meant getting completely walked all over. If someone confronted me about something I would have a panic attack even if it was over something small like being late for dinner. Once I got married, my wife and I started a family and had two beautiful girls. My symptoms started to get worse and I started having this fear of doom all the time and was terrified I was going to die and leave my girls without a father. Keep in mind, I was in my 20's and ran half marathons, so I had no health issues that would indicate impending death. It was so bad by this time I was afraid to sleep at night because I was afraid I wouldn't wake up. This was a catch-22 because of gluten intolerance because I would get headaches, cramping, bloating, and constipation along with my allergies and asthma so of course with my anxiety I was always on death's door in my mind. I was always on WebMd looking up symptoms because I always thought I was sick. Well, I was told to try a gluten free diet for my symptoms and something strange happened. About a month in I was laying in bed one night and had this sense of calm around me. I actually remember laying there and slowly breathing in and out and smiling because I felt so calm. That's when I knew I would never go back. I also know when I have been glutened by my anxiety coming back as well. I do sometimes think how different my life would have been if I grew up gluten free and wasn't crippled by anxiety as a kid. But, I look at my beautiful family and know this was my destined path in life and I wouldn't trade my life for anyone's. Even if a piece of coffee cake or a cresent roll now and again would be nice.

#22 azmontessoriteacher

azmontessoriteacher

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 23 September 2011 - 04:45 AM

I really appreciate reading everyone's comments. My daughter has been suffering from increasingly severe anxiety and depression for the last few years. We are 10 days into a gluten free diet as a result of her Celiac diagnosis and I am already seeing a small improvement in how anxious and depressed she gets. I am being super careful and our entire house is now gluten free to avoid cc. I am cautiously optimistic that we will continue to see improvements.

Hang in there if you are new to the lifestyle. It takes time to heal!

#23 wystearya

wystearya

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 02:57 AM

I realize this is an older thread, but I was doing an online search for anxiety and gluten to see if there was a relationship. Just 2 weeks ago, I found out I am sensitive to gluten. I had cut it out, only have the occasional bit of bread. But the night before last my Mom made spaghetti, my favorite food. I though, "Oh I can have just a little bit." Famous last words... I was so sick the next morning in the bathroom... I also felt like I was having allergy response. And this morning I woke up anxious...again.

I've been a nervous person all my life. Some of your stories could be me. I also startle very easily and people find it funny. I let it go, but I have known I was not normal. I've always thought that a lot of it was due to how I was raised. My Mom was less that loving and rather mean to me. I've forgiven her, now that I am older and know a little about her own past I don't think she could help it. But I never knew that the gluten could cause alot this!! I get nervous in public and I had been waking up anxious for "no reason" for months.

I just wanted to thank you all for having this forum! I know in the coming days and weeks I will likely have questions as I go gluten free. It's just comforting to know what has been wrong with me all my life! I'm 32, and relieved to know that maybe I can feel 'normal' in time. I sure hope so!

#24 shadowicewolf

shadowicewolf

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,764 posts

Posted 14 September 2012 - 10:54 AM

Indeed it is :) It sets my axiety off like no tommorow. I do not take pills for it as they do not agree with me. I do however have coping techniques that i was taught to help.

#25 KMMO320

KMMO320

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 159 posts

Posted 22 September 2012 - 10:11 AM

I had some toast a few days ago, I figure sometimes since I am "Only" Gluten intolerant and not Celiac, whats the hard (this is just how I rationalize bad behavior..I dont really think like that). Well all day yesterday, I was a nut case. I was crying, and angry and yelling at my family for nothing. I actually forced myself to stand still and breathe deep to try to calm down. I hate when I get like that and it is so rare, pretty much only when I eat what I shouldn't. Definitely going gluten-free helps with my anxiousness.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: