This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Made The Nutella Brownies....

blondebombshell

blondebombshell Collaborator

trying to prepare for tomorrow by making nutella brownies. they came out has as a rock!!!! why? help because i want to remake them!

heres the recipe - what happened that they came out deflated and hard?

Nutella Brownies

1/2 Cup Nutella

1/4 Cup Butter, softened

1/4 Cup shortening, softened

1/2 Cup sugar

1 egg - (but i used an egg substite)

1 tsp vanilla

1 Cup Gluten Free Flour Blend (I used a combo of Land O Lakes recommended blend and Bob's Red Mill - I didn't have enough of either to make a full cup - use your favorite blend - one that already includes the Xanthum Gum)

1 tsp baking powder

pinch salt

With paddle arm, beat Nutella, butter and shortening together with sugar.

Beat on medium speed for aobut 2 to three minutes until really really fluffy. Add egg and vanilla, continue beating.

In a separate bowl, sift together flour, baking powder and salt.

Gradually add flour to wet ingredients.

Beat very well.

Pour into a greased 9 X 9 square pan (I actually used my 9" spring form pan).

Bake 30 minutes in a 350 degree oven. (I would also recommend allowing it to sit in the oven as it's cooling - crack the door a little - this will keep it from falling like mine did. Allow to cool completely before cutting.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

missy'smom Collaborator

I almost said that the deflating was due to overbeaten eggs but I see you used an egg substitute. If your sub. was powder and not liquid based, maybe it needed the moisture from a liquid based one. Some egg substutes are more like a baking powder and I wonder if this threw off the chemistry in this-too much b. powder. I haven't tried this recipe but I have a recipie for fudge cakes, like brownies, that comes out of the oven seeming overbaked and dry but as it cools and is covered and is let to sit untl the next day an amazing transformation takes place and they become moist and very fudgy in the middle(I use eggs).

kbabe1968 Enthusiast

Is this the one I posted?

Mine deflated too...but didn't change the taste! I'm not sure why they would be hard as a rock other than the egg sub? I don't know.

As for the deflating, I have made them when I turned off the oven about 5 mins early and let them cool IN the oven....they did not deflate as much...but I had to be REALLY patient to eat them.

I'm really sorry they didn't' work for you. I hate hearing when one of my recipes doesn't work for someone else :(.

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Where did you find the recipe? Are you substituting gluten-free flour for regular flour in a regular (gluteny) recipe?

The ratio of flour to butter/sugar looks a bit heavy to me. If it was a gluteny recipe, I'd cut the amount of flour by about 1/3 of a cup and use 2/3 cup instead of 1 cup.

You could also shorten the bake time by 5 minutes--most brownie recipes I've seen seem to call for 25 minutes for a 9 x 9 pan.

Nutella brownies--that sounds SO good! I'm gonna have to try them!!!!

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

sorry to hear the brownies did not turn out well. It is very disappointing....

larry mac Enthusiast

Did they rise and fall or never rise?

Why use egg substitute? Eggs are a natural leavening agent and are high in protein. Your obviously not dairy intolerant. Nutella has skim milk and whey (from milk). Plus the butter in the recipe.

I'd use two eggs, add some powdered egg whites, and increase the baking powder and/or add baking soda. If you add a tsp of vinegar and a tsp of baking soda, you'll get more rise. Also looks like you need some milk or water. Your mixture should be neither too thick nor too thin. You can't just always go strictly by the recipe. I agree with FF, 30 minutes may be too long, assuming 350 degrees.

I make muffins a lot and they rise like crazy and never fall.

best regards, lm

blondebombshell Collaborator

i have an egg allergy that is why i used an egg sub.

they did rise and then they fell. should i try it again with a little less flour, then turn the oven off once they rise?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

larry mac Enthusiast
i have an egg allergy that is why i used an egg sub.

they did rise and then they fell. should i try it again with a little less flour, then turn the oven off once they rise?

Sorry about the egg alergy.

Funny thing, I often have that same problem when I bake gluten-free bread. But I've never had muffins rise and then fall. I'm guessing it's the ratio of insides to outsides or something like that. Have you considered making chocolate muffins? :rolleyes:

I used to be the bread man. I'm thinking of being the muffin man instead. Once, BC, I made upside down pineapple cake muffins. Yes, I think I invented them, there were no directions for them on the pineapple cake box.

best regards, lm

Archived