This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Pamela's Bread & Bread Machine

CMCM

CMCM Rising Star

I just got the Zojirushi bread machine...and made my first loaf with it. I used the Pamela's bread mix, and only thing different from the instructions was that I added 1 tsp. white vinegar--I read somewhere it was important for our gluten free bread. Anyhow, the bread turned out FABULOUS....nice and high, real loaf shape, soft, sliced nicely, really wonderful. I felt like I was having real bread again. My whole family loved it and could hardly believe it was gluten free. So far, so good! I can't wait to try other mixes, plus I plan to do some things from scratch. :)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Ginsou Explorer

Which cycle did you use? Do you have a gluten cycle or a 1 rise cycle on your machine?

Joanne11 Apprentice

I also just used Pamelas bread mix in the bread machine over christmas, I put it on the basic white bread setting because that is what it said on the back of the bag, curious to see which setting you used. Mine came out great as well, a little on the sweeter side, it tased just like this oatmeal bread I used to get as a kid. I didn't put in the vinegar I will have to try that next time.

CMCM Rising Star

The Zoji manual does mention that it does gluten free bread, but there is no specific cycle for it as there is with the Breadman and perhaps some others. I had read somewhere that gluten-free bread only needs one rise cycle, but I just did my loaf on the most basic white bread cycle which is the machine default, and it had THREE rising periods....45 min., stir down then 25 min., stir down then 45 min. The total cycle was 3.5 hours.

There is a quick setting that might be more appropriate to gluten-free bread...8 min. first rise, stir down, then 25 min. second rise, then 55 min. bake for a total of 2 hours. I might try that one next time.

BUT....as I said, using the default white bread one it turned out great, perfect.

Which cycle did you use? Do you have a gluten cycle or a 1 rise cycle on your machine?
CMCM Rising Star

I forgot to mention...the Zoji has a bunch of built in cycles, but it is also custom programmable so you could definitely set up a special gluten-free cycle to your own specs. Since I didn't know what these specs should actually be and haven't seen discussion of it anywhere, I was just lazy and did the default white bread cycle.

I do think I remember reading the the wheat cycles require more rise time etc. so it would probably not be good to ever choose one of those.

Another thing I like about the Zoji is that the bread comes out horizontal like a regular loaf shape, so it slices nicely. You can do a 2-lb bread max in it, but the 1.5 pound (most bread mixes and recipes seem to be this size) come out nice too, just not as super high as the 2 lb ones seem to be.

CMCM Rising Star

Update on gluten free setting for Zojirushi machine....I had emailed Zojirushi and asked for info on how to program for the gluten free cycle, and today I got a response. I thought I'd post it in case any of you have this machine or plan to get it. I haven't tried this yet, and since it's kind of involved, I sure hope all this will stay in the machine as a custom setting!

To summarize, it looks like this sets up a 15 min. preheat, kneads for 30 min., one rise for 55 min., bakes for 55 min. The total cycle start to finish is 2 hours 35 minutes. BUT....like I said before, I did a Pamela's loaf using the basic white bread cycle, and that one had THREE rise periods (45 min, 25 min, 45 min.), and a total time of 3 hrs 30 min. AND....it came out great! So who knows! But I'll try this for the next loaf when I make one, maybe tomorrow. I'll report back when I do.

GLUTEN FREE CUSTOM SETTING:

To set the Gluten-free setting, make sure

that it is on the Homemade Cycle. Put the mixture into the baking pan.

Step 1: Press the CYCLE key, it should say PREHEAT. Then hit the TIME key

until it shows :15 on the display.

Then press the CYCLE key twice to proceed

to the next cycle. It should be KNEAD, press the TIME key until it is shows

:30 on the display, then CYCLE key twice to proceed to the next cycle.

Step 2. The next cycle should be RISE 1, make sure that it is off, then

press the CYCLE key once to the next cycle. Make sure Rise 2 should also be

off, then press the CYCLE key once to proceed to the next cycle.

Step 3. When on the RISE 3 cycle, press the TIME key until it is shows :55

on the display, then press CYCLE key twice proceed to the next cycle.

Step 4: Then in the BAKE cycle, press the TIME key until it is shows :55 on

the display, then press the CYCLE key once.

Step 5: Press the START/RESET button, make sure that it only says 2:35 on

the screen. Then press the start button until red light is on and you're

set.

MyMississippi Enthusiast

I use similar settings on my Breadman Ultimate----

knead about 15 min--rise 60 min--bake 60 min on 350 degrees,

Bread turns out fine.

:)

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mamaw Community Regular

When I use my Zo,for gluten-free bread I use the quick wheat bread setting for a total of 2hr 8 min.... works like a charm.......

mamaw

• 3 months later...
buckeyenc5 Newbie

[

GLUTEN FREE CUSTOM SETTING:

To set the Gluten-free setting, make sure

that it is on the Homemade Cycle. Put the mixture into the baking pan.

Step 1: Press the CYCLE key, it should say PREHEAT. Then hit the TIME key

until it shows :15 on the display.

Then press the CYCLE key twice to proceed

to the next cycle. It should be KNEAD, press the TIME key until it is shows

:30 on the display, then CYCLE key twice to proceed to the next cycle.

Step 2. The next cycle should be RISE 1, make sure that it is off, then

press the CYCLE key once to the next cycle. Make sure Rise 2 should also be

off, then press the CYCLE key once to proceed to the next cycle.

Step 3. When on the RISE 3 cycle, press the TIME key until it is shows :55

on the display, then press CYCLE key twice proceed to the next cycle.

Step 4: Then in the BAKE cycle, press the TIME key until it is shows :55 on

the display, then press the CYCLE key once.

Step 5: Press the START/RESET button, make sure that it only says 2:35 on

the screen. Then press the start button until red light is on and you're

set.

• 2 weeks later...
hutchndi Newbie

Hi,

I just read the posts about getting a zojirushi bread machine and had to comment. My wife has gluten allergy plus egg and dairy, so its tuff making anything. We just got the same zojirushi machine and tried a few home recipes, came out awful, want to try the Pamela's next. I am not putting down the machine at all, problems are probably more with the yeast or flour used. We would really like to hear more from people who have used this awhile and honed their recipes and settings. There seems to be confusion over which settings are best, even after trying to discuss with Zojirushi service (I did use the gluten-free settings posted).

Russ

karmalaw Newbie
Hi,

I just read the posts about getting a zojirushi bread machine and had to comment. My wife has gluten allergy plus egg and dairy, so its tuff making anything. We just got the same zojirushi machine and tried a few home recipes, came out awful, want to try the Pamela's next. I am not putting down the machine at all, problems are probably more with the yeast or flour used. We would really like to hear more from people who have used this awhile and honed their recipes and settings. There seems to be confusion over which settings are best, even after trying to discuss with Zojirushi service (I did use the gluten-free settings posted).

Russ

I'd guess your "home recipes" are the culprit. Have you tried them successfully in baking bread before?

You're best using either 1) Pamela's (or another mix you like -- I happen to also really like the Bob's Red Mill Multi-grain mix) or 2) a recipe from a trusted source (one of the respected gluten-free authors or a recipe on a trusted website that has reviews to help you gauge its worthiness.

If you're going to make your own mix/bread from scratch -- then you'll have to have a few basics down:

1) Baking is a science -- you can't alter the ratio of ingredients without marked results -- and most of the time those results will be negative.

2) use fresh, quality ingredients.

3) place items in the machine in the order stated by the manufacturer.

4) if you add in extra ingredients.. know WHERE/when to add them -- for example, salt will lessen the effectiveness of the yeast.

hutchndi Newbie

Well now I have tryed the exact recipe from zojirushi the one for gluten free raison bread, though I did leave the raisons out. I contacted zojirushi first and they said to use the adjusted setting posted earlier in this thread. I even used the freshest yeast (flieshmans active dry from the recipe) from the refridgerated section of the supermarket bought that day.

Up until now the all the gluten free "bread doughs" I have used before getting a bread machine were more like cake batter than a firm dough. These recipes seem much thicker. Is this correct?

Anyways the dough was very uneven kind of balled up on one side, and the 55 minute rising time was not enough to rise the dough either. Kind of looked like mashed potatoes baking. The manual says there is a way to change a process time while in progress, I was hoping I could even out the dough and increase the rise time before baking, but the instructions are pretty vague on this.

hutchndi Newbie

Just want to add to that that I am no stranger to being as precise as possible with my baking measurements, I used to do all sourdough "artisan" type breads before starting gluten-free for my wife. So I am not going into this half hazardly.

Russ

karmalaw Newbie
Just want to add to that that I am no stranger to being as precise as possible with my baking measurements, I used to do all sourdough "artisan" type breads before starting gluten-free for my wife. So I am not going into this half hazardly.

Russ

gluten-free doughs don't look or feel the same as gluten doughs... so you have to rely on your measurements.

I'm not sure about the zojirushi recipes.. I'd recommend recipes from a noted gluten-free cookbook author such as:

Analise Roberts and her "Gluten-Free Baking Classics"

or

Bette Hagman and her "Gluten-Free Gourmet Bakes Bread" book

Archived