Normal Iga Levels For Kids?

• Please log in to reply
7 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Maggi315_*

Guest_Maggi315_*
  • Guests

Posted 26 December 2007 - 06:22 AM

Hi,
Anyone have a list of the adjusted IGA levels for kids? I'm talking about total IGA? My 8yo's were 63, which, according to my lab are a bit low, range starts at 81, but ped says that you have to adjust for age, I didn't realize this. Wondering what the adjusted range levels would be. I did an internet search and a pub med search and couldn't find anything helpful. thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Cam's Mom

Cam's Mom

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 156 posts

Posted 28 December 2007 - 05:21 PM

Hi!
I have not ever heard anything about making age adjustments. In fact I was just at my son's pediatrician discussing this very issue today. My son's total IGA is 34 (quite low) with normal starting at like 81. We had a long conversation about what it means to be IGA deficient and how that number effects tTg (as in renders it a useless indicator of Celiac). But she never mentioned adjusting the total IGA for age. Oh, by the way, my son is 7 1/2.

I have also been surfing the net for any info about immunoglobulin IGA and how a low number in this area can scew the celiac panel - and have seen no mention of adjustments. So, I would double check that.

good luck!
barb
Daughter, Camryn diagnosed with diabetes 3/06
diagnosed with celiac (blood test and biosy confirmed) 5/06

#3 Guest_Maggi315_*

Guest_Maggi315_*
  • Guests

Posted 05 January 2008 - 08:29 PM

I just talked with Quest diagnostics labs this week (I have an account through my midwifery office). yes, there are different values based on age. for example, my 5 year old, the range starts at 33 being normal. My 12yo starts at 70 being normal. If you do a pub med search, there are several articles about the different values. Basically, as you grow older, you have rising levels. some of the studies on their found that kids with borderline or slightly low caught up to normal in a few years with or without a change in diet or lifestyle. You could try to look on quest website, not sure if the ranges are on there, but they wwer very nice about it when I called, explaining the ranges to me.

#4 countrymama

countrymama

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:51 AM

I know this is an old post but I stumbled across it looking for the same information. My 12 yo IgA came back at 45 but I wanted to know the age adjusted levels. I found this at the Mayo clinic site so it should be good info and I'm posting in case anyone else out there is looking for this:
Immunoglobulin A
0-<5 months: 7-37 mg/dL
5-<9 months: 16-50 mg/dL
9-<15 months: 27-66 mg/dL
15-<24 months: 36-79 mg/dL
2-<4 years: 27-246 mg/dL
4-<7 years: 29-256 mg/dL
7-<10 years: 34-274 mg/dL
10-<13 years: 42-295 mg/dL
13-<16 years: 52-319 mg/dL
16-<18 years: 60-337 mg/dL
> or =18 years: 61-356 mg/dL

Hope this helps,
Sharon

#5 MoMof2Boyz

MoMof2Boyz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 26 October 2011 - 07:52 PM

I know this is an old post but I stumbled across it looking for the same information. My 12 yo IgA came back at 45 but I wanted to know the age adjusted levels. I found this at the Mayo clinic site so it should be good info and I'm posting in case anyone else out there is looking for this:
Immunoglobulin A
0-<5 months: 7-37 mg/dL
5-<9 months: 16-50 mg/dL
9-<15 months: 27-66 mg/dL
15-<24 months: 36-79 mg/dL
2-<4 years: 27-246 mg/dL
4-<7 years: 29-256 mg/dL
7-<10 years: 34-274 mg/dL
10-<13 years: 42-295 mg/dL
13-<16 years: 52-319 mg/dL
16-<18 years: 60-337 mg/dL
> or =18 years: 61-356 mg/dL

Hope this helps,
Sharon

so should we go by this or the lab ranges that are on the test results? my son's total serum IgA is 21... range for his age (6) is 41-395 found out from the celiac center they don't consider 21 low enough to be IgA deficient. Anything @20 mg/dl or higher is not IgA deficient. don't you think 21 is pretty darn close though?? Can someone please comment on this and what about the DGP IgG this one was <0.4 EU/ml range is <4.9 EU/ml does that look pretty close?? thank you !! ps, I don't see a "fast reply" to stop quoting everyone when I post. :/

#6 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 10:45 AM

Diagnostic labs correct their reference ranges for age and gender. They are constantly and carefully adjusting the ranges to reflect the most recent research and the population ranges they see when running the tests according to their specific protocols. It's not a good idea to try to look up reference ranges on the web because tests can be run different ways and reported in different units. Your son is well below normal, but I can't comment on why the celiac center is quibbling over 1 mg/dL. His IgA is certainly low enough to give inaccurate results on IgA celiac tests.

A DGP IgG result of <0.4 with a range of <4.9 is an absolutely normal, non-celiac result. DGP is above the reference range when it's positive, not well below.

#7 MoMof2Boyz

MoMof2Boyz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 126 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:15 AM

Diagnostic labs correct their reference ranges for age and gender. They are constantly and carefully adjusting the ranges to reflect the most recent research and the population ranges they see when running the tests according to their specific protocols. It's not a good idea to try to look up reference ranges on the web because tests can be run different ways and reported in different units. Your son is well below normal, but I can't comment on why the celiac center is quibbling over 1 mg/dL. His IgA is certainly low enough to give inaccurate results on IgA celiac tests.

A DGP IgG result of <0.4 with a range of <4.9 is an absolutely normal, non-celiac result. DGP is above the reference range when it's positive, not well below.

Thank you! So if his total serum IgA is low and the IgA tests are inaccurate...should I just go by the DGP IgG or do you think I should have other tests run? thanks!

#8 Skylark

Skylark

Glutenologist

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,490 posts

Posted 28 October 2011 - 11:53 AM

Thank you! So if his total serum IgA is low and the IgA tests are inaccurate...should I just go by the DGP IgG or do you think I should have other tests run? thanks!

You could request TTG IgG. There might also be an anti-EMA IgG they could do. DGP is pretty sensitive but you don't want to leave stones unturned!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: