This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Diabetes?

whitelacegal

whitelacegal Contributor

Does anyone in here have Celiac and diabetes? I went to the doc the other day and he told me that my Glucose level was 174. but when i tested it at my dads today with his machine it was 100 how can it flucate that much??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

lovegrov Collaborator

I don't know about the fluctuation but I do know that after mine was measured at 145 I started exercising and lost weight. Next time it was 91 and then 80. All were fasting. I know that doesn't work for everybody but it did for me, thank goodness.

Was either one a fasting level? If you hadn't eaten before the second one, it would be lower.

richard

judy05 Apprentice

It depends on what you have eaten in the previous 2 hours.

If I eat anything with white rice flour my BG will climb 60 points

in 2 hours. Some foods have low glycemic levels. Meats and

most vegetables will not raise my levels. It is a 2 hour reading

window. Hope this helps. The best way to check is in the morning after

an 8 hour fast, this way you will know if you have a problem.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

judy----what kind of flour can you use if white rice is out--my boyfriend is diabetic and anything i make for me i will be making for him too--what is the best for me to use--thanks, deb

judy05 Apprentice

Deb,

This is all new to me. My husband and I are experimenting

with Betty Hagemann's Featherlight Mix. It contains rice, tapioca,

and cornstarch+potato flour. The tapioca flour has less (carbs)

than the rice, and cornstarch even less than both. He made some

apple pies with sweet and low which worked out well for me.

You have to really read labels and know how many carbs are

in each serving. I just got the gluten-free diet down pat, now this!

The only thing the dietician taught me was how to count

carbs, 15 carbohydrates=1 carb. I am supposed to have 12-14

carbs per day which is very hard to do, although I am slowly

losing weight, 25 lbs so far! Wish I could tell you more, give me another

year. :rolleyes: Try different flours and remember to test in 2hours.

We are thinking about the bean flours next.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

my sister likes the garbanza bean flour and the white bean flour--but she isnt diabetic, just experimenting with different flours--deb

Jinxy'sMom Newbie

Hi WhiteLace. I have T1 Diabetes, and I'm still working on a celiac diagnosis.

A blood sugar of 174 after eating a meal is I think acceptable for a non-diabetic. Recent findings have suggested this. The most important is before and 2 hrs after meals. Was the 174 fasting? If so, then you may have pre-diabetes or impaired glucose tolerance. Your best thing is to have your doctor do a fasting blood sugar in the lab and see what it says. If it's 120 or above then you need to discuss your options with your doctor, and maybe do a GTT to ck your glucose tolerance. And yes, your blood sugar numbers can bounce around.

If you need more advice let me know,

Heather

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

whitelacegal Contributor

jinxy's mom,

HI there, thanks for responding, i found out that i have type 2 diabetes yesterday and now am trying to find low sugar foods plus gluten-free food, this is fun.

Archived