This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Gluten Free Setting On Breadman Bread Machine

Wildcat Golfer

Wildcat Golfer Rookie

Hello everyone!

I am thinking about purchasing a bread machine and was wondering if anyone knew about the Breadman bread machine that has a gluten free setting. Does it work better than using any other bread machine? Is it worth buying or should I just stick with a regular bread machine? Any advice in general would be great!!! :D THANKS!!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

CMCM Rising Star

Go to Amazon and search the site for bread machines, and you can read a ton of reviews about the Breadman.

Personally, I think probably any machine does our gluten-free bread just fine....before I bought a new one, I had a 1993 Oster which did a Bob's Red Mill bread mix pretty good. Then the machine died on my second loaf, so I didn't get to try anything else and had to get a new machine. I kind of doubt if the "gluten free" cycles on certain machines are anything special, and most machines have cycles appropriate to gluten-free bread. With some, you can also program your own cycle as long as you know what to program in!! (I still don't know!!). Basic white bread cycles seem to work fine.

I decided against the Breadman simply because rather a lot of people suggested it would have a fairly short life. I got the Zoji because it was highly rated, seemed to have better longevity ratings, and because it had a normal shape loaf pan. It was more expensive, though.

There are also reviews on cookintDOTcom's site.

JennyC Enthusiast

We have the Breadman with the gluten free setting, and I like it but the cycle could use some tweaking. I think the bread should rise and bake longer. The Breadman works fine most of the time, and you can program your own cycles which I plan to do very soon. My advice is buy any one you want as long as you can program it.

MyMississippi Enthusiast

I use a Breadman Ultimate and am pleased with it. I can program in my own settings for gluten free bread.

I've read that most any bread machine can make good gluten free bread=== even using the regular (wheat) cycles.

I bought my daughter-in-law a used bread machine for $10.00 at a garage sale and it works great ! :)

Rindy Rookie

I just got a Breadman bread machine, but have not used it yet. I tried making gluten free bread on my old bread machine and it did not work well at all. It just seemed to ball up the dough and didn't mix the liquid in with it. I saw the Breadman in our local store and that it had a gluten free cycle, which I assume mixes differently than regular wheat cycle. I was in store for a new bread machine anyway, so thought it was worth trying. Maybe different mixes mix differently, I don't know, but I am anxious to give it a try. :P

misdiagnosed6yrs Apprentice
I bought my daughter-in-law a used bread machine for $10.00 at a garage sale and it works great ! :)

For Gluten free bread? Is that okay? I am just assuming there would be gluten hanging around and the rest is self explanatory.

<_<

MyMississippi Enthusiast
For Gluten free bread? Is that okay? I am just assuming there would be gluten hanging around and the rest is self explanatory.

<_<

No, my daughter in law is NOT a Celiac and has no food allergies----

I was making the point that most any bread machine can make gluten free bread. :)

Personally, I would have no problem with using a "used" bread machine .. Just thoroughly clean it before you use it.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Wildcat Golfer Rookie

THANKS FOR ALL THE REPLIES!! That helps! :)

• 1 year later...
songstressc Apprentice

Hi Happy New Year! Any feedback appreciated :rolleyes:

Gluten Free Machine or Regular - now.. which model??

I have looked extensively at Bread machines and read many reviews; It seems that the Breadman Pro 875 and the Breadman Ultimate 2500BC have gluten free settings. Also, Cuisinart has a new one out with good reviews too. Both have good reviews- I am wondering if it makes a difference baking gluten-free bread with a convections setting or not? The Ultimate has the added convection setting. Anyone out there with success or warning stories? I am torn right now; A bread machine w/out gluten-free setting seems to get mixed reviews; Some say they work some say the don't - perhaps it depends on the recipe?I understand that I need to choose a machine that allows setting changes but that is harder to figure out. Anyone have one that they use and changes settings well?

Regular or Gluten Free Machine? Which machine?

Thanks for the help :rolleyes:

*lee-lee* Enthusiast

i just got the Breadman Ultimate (2500BC) for Christmas. i've made 4 loaves so far, 2 using the gluten-free setting and 2 using my own settings. the first loaf i made i followed a recipe that came with the machine and it came out fine. then i used my grandmas recipe but the gluten-free setting didn't cook it quite long enough. i had much better luck adding time to the rise and bake cycles on the last 2 loaves.

i didn't know what to think when i read all the mixed reviews on Amazon but i haven't had any major problems with the Breadman so far. my grandmother has a Zoj with a gluten-free setting. she's had it for years and it works great for her.

one thing i noticed with the Breadman is you have to use a spatula to scrape the sides of the pan during the knead cycle. i forgot to once and as a result it didn't get mixed properly and i had to cut the corner off the entire loaf.

gluten freedom Rookie

I am not really sure if a Gluten Free setting on a bread machine would have any different of an outcome. I really think it has more to do with what kinds and amounts of flours that are used. Authentic Foods has a dough enhancer that I recommend. It really seems to help the fickle temperament of the gluten-free flours so that they play nicely with the yeast.

Here is recipe for a gluten-free bread dough that I have had great success with:

https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.ph...;showentry=1126

Have a Gluten Freedom Day!

Hello everyone!

I am thinking about purchasing a bread machine and was wondering if anyone knew about the Breadman bread machine that has a gluten free setting. Does it work better than using any other bread machine? Is it worth buying or should I just stick with a regular bread machine? Any advice in general would be great!!! :D THANKS!!

songstressc Apprentice

Lee Lee:

thankyou so much for the info. Have you ever made gluten free in the Zojirushi? I wonder if it would mix better with the 2 paddles?

Also, you can add or take time off with the breadman model you have?

Happy New Year and thanks again.

Songstress

*lee-lee* Enthusiast

yes, my grandma only makes gluten free bread in her Zojirushi machine. she's 80 years old so she's not much into trying to program it differently so she just pushes the gluten free setting and lets it do its thing. she says it takes about 3 1/2 hours.

the Breadman (Ultimate Plus, model TR2500BC) is totally customizable. it gives you the option to create 5 personalized settings. it also has a ton of presets. here's a link to the user manual: Open Original Shared Link starting on page 11, it has a chart of all the cycles and how long for each step.

i've personally never used the Zoj but i'd say any machine will probably mix better with 2 paddles. i just made a loaf (in the Breadman) and i had to check it a couple of times and scrape the sides to make sure it mixed properly. it's not a big deal to me to have to take this extra step but it might be to some people. i couldn't justify an additional $100 so that's why i asked for the Breadman instead of the Zojirushi.

i've been tweaking a bread recipe i found on this forum. i decided it needed more time to rise than the gluten-free setting offers so i used my own setting. it takes about 2 hrs 20 min total.

as far as the gluten free setting goes...in my opinion, it's not crucial to have. i thought it would be but everything really depends on what recipe you're using. i've never made a loaf of bread in my life until 2 weeks ago. just a little trial and error and i'm nearly ready to open a bakery! :P

let me know if you have any more questions...i'm going to see my grandma tomorrow so i can ask her about the Zoj too. feel free to PM me if you'd like.

songstressc Apprentice
yes, my grandma only makes gluten free bread in her Zojirushi machine. she's 80 years old so she's not much into trying to program it differently so she just pushes the gluten free setting and lets it do its thing. she says it takes about 3 1/2 hours.

the Breadman (Ultimate Plus, model TR2500BC) is totally customizable. it gives you the option to create 5 personalized settings. it also has a ton of presets. here's a link to the user manual: Open Original Shared Link starting on page 11, it has a chart of all the cycles and how long for each step.

i've personally never used the Zoj but i'd say any machine will probably mix better with 2 paddles. i just made a loaf (in the Breadman) and i had to check it a couple of times and scrape the sides to make sure it mixed properly. it's not a big deal to me to have to take this extra step but it might be to some people. i couldn't justify an additional $100 so that's why i asked for the Breadman instead of the Zojirushi.

i've been tweaking a bread recipe i found on this forum. i decided it needed more time to rise than the gluten-free setting offers so i used my own setting. it takes about 2 hrs 20 min total.

as far as the gluten free setting goes...in my opinion, it's not crucial to have. i thought it would be but everything really depends on what recipe you're using. i've never made a loaf of bread in my life until 2 weeks ago. just a little trial and error and i'm nearly ready to open a bakery! :P

let me know if you have any more questions...i'm going to see my grandma tomorrow so i can ask her about the Zoj too. feel free to PM me if you'd like.

• 1 month later...
FranDaMan Apprentice

I hate to bump this to the top but don't want to begin a new thread for an old problem ;) .

My wife just bought a breadman and made her first loaf last night. Seems that it doesn't let it rise long enough and then not bake long enough as others have mentioned above. I know it can be programmed to allow for variances but not sure how long to add to these cycles. Anyone that has gone through this have any "favorite" settings or suggestions?

Oh, the first try was Bob's mix. We're open to suggestions.

Thanks

*lee-lee* Enthusiast

i've made bread with 6 different recipes, all with varying success. the best loaf is from a recipe that everyone loves on this forum.

here is the original recipe from recipezaar.com: Open Original Shared Link

there is also a really long thread on here about it: https://www.celiac.com/gluten-free/index.php?showtopic=28633

i changed the recipe a bit to make it work for me and used the bread machine setting that someone recommended (altered slightly to allow more time to rise) and it comes out quite good each time. i never got around to buying flax and the recipe works just fine without it

here's how i make it, if you're interested:

(liquids first - measure right into the bread pan)

3/4 C water

3 eggs

2 T veg oil

2 T honey

1 t cider vinegar

(dry ingredients next - i measure them into a bowl and then dump it all into the bread pan)

1 1/4 C all-purpose flour mix (i use Bob's Red Mill)

1/4 C sorghum flour

1/2 C potato starch

1/4 C corn starch

1 t salt

once everything is in the breadpan, sprinkle on top:

2 1/2 t xanthan gum

2 1/4 t dry active yeast

the custom setting i use on the Breadman: (1.5 lb loaf, medium crust)

WARM = 10 min

KNEAD 1 = 3 min

KNEAD 2 = 15 min

RISE 1 = off

RISE 2 = off

RISE 3 = 65 min

BAKE = 55 min

i make sure to scrap the sides while it's kneeding and if i remember, i will pull the paddle out as soon as the rise cycle starts (just wet your hand and reach in and yank it out. then use a wet spatula to smooth the loaf out.)

good luck! (let me know if you need clarification on anything)

FranDaMan Apprentice

Just got back from our local support group meeting and my wife is firing up the breadmaker as I type! We just bought a bunch of ingredients (on the way home) to start the "from scratch" breads but we're using a Bob's mix tonight.

Thanks so much for the help. I'll report on our success.

FranDaMan Apprentice

*lee-lee*,

Your settings for the breadman were spot on! My wife was trying to talk herself into ten more minutes of baking (didn't think it was browned enough) and I asked her to follow along exactly and see where we ended up.

I'm more than happy to say we now have a bread that looks and feels like the "real" stuff and I'll be able to pack sandwiches again for my lunches.

Thank you for the help.

*lee-lee* Enthusiast

yay! i'm glad it worked so well for you!

i just made a loaf of white bread using the recipe on the back of the Bob's Red Mill Potato Starch package. i used the rapid white cycle on the Breadman (2 lb loaf, medium crust). this particular bread is a little more dense and tastes best toasted but holds together really well for sandwiches.

you and your wife have fun experimenting!! i love trying out new recipes :)

Archived