This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Want The Answer To Your Tortilla Prayers?

Cam's Mom

Cam's Mom Contributor

Hi!

I have posted the tortilla recipe in a couple of places but recently had an accidental change when making them that resulted in the absolute final edition of the ultimate tortilla. I really do actually like these better than the wheat flour counterpart. Here it is and I hope you give it a try:

1 package pizza crust Chebe

1 package bread stick Chebe

4 Tablespoons flax meal

4 Tablespoons Pamela's Mix (any basic flour mix will probably work here)

4 Tablespoons Olive Oil

4 Eggs

1/2 Cup or more of Milk to make this into a nice pliable, kneadable dough. Not too sticky but not dry.

Take a gallon size ziploc bag and cut open all three sides leaving just the zipper zipped. Then pull off golf ball (or slightly larger) sized balls of dough - place in center of bag, between plastic and roll out into a very thin circle. Remove from plastic and cook on a heated to low/med. heat frying pan (NOT greased). Cook for about a minute (until slightly golden) then flip and do the other side. Pile them up. I put half of them in a baggie in the freezer and the other half in a bag in the fridge. This recipe makes about 14 large (burrito sized) tortillas.

Now you've got the prefect thing for burritos, quesidiallas, sandwich wraps, and you've got to try them as personal pizzas, just top 'em and pop in the oven till toppings are melted and bubbly.

The tortillas may be a little stiff (but never "crack") when pulled directly out of the fridge but are very bendable and flexible once warmed up - either on a pan or in the mic. for a few seconds.

Enjoy!!

Barb

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Nyxie63 Apprentice

Thank you so much for posting this!

I've been going through tortilla withdrawl for the past 3 months. It hasn't been pretty. :P

Soft tacos here I come!

sickchick Community Regular

wow that sounds so yum

JustMe75 Enthusiast

I actually made these from your prior post and I have a question. Can I substitute the pizza mix for plain breadstick mix? I loved the tortillas but they have a flavor from the pizza seasoning in the pizza crust mix and I would like to try them plain.

Also, I had some trouble rolling them thin enough and then being able to get them off the ziplock bag without tearing them so I used a little bit of the gluten-free flour and sprinkled it on the ziplock bag before I started rolling it out and that really helped.

Thank you so much for posting this! I made quesadillas (spelled right??) and breakfast burritos which I have missed sooo much!!

Great recipe!

Cam's Mom Contributor

You could certainly use breadstick mix instead of the pizza mix. The only one I would adjust for is if you decide to use the "plain" Chebe that comes in the red bag. That one contains dry milk and the others do not. So I guess if I were going to use that one, I'd use water instead of milk in the final product - but I have not tried it. I have however used it to make "garlic naan" (Indian flat bread) - using plain yogurt instead of water or milk. They came out great!

barb

Archived