Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Any History Of Duodenal Or Peptic Ulcers?

• Please log in to reply

9 replies to this topic

#1 Molecular Dude

Molecular Dude

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 29 December 2007 - 01:38 PM

Hello Everyone,

I've knowingly been gluten sensitive for the last four years (now age 48), but had bleeding duodenal ulcers twice as a young teen. I'm wondering if anyone else has a similar history and, if so, whether there is a cause-and-effect relationship between these phenomena? Further, which is the cause and which is the effect? In retrospect, I've had isolated, sporadic symptoms of gluten sensitivity throughout my life, but nothing really persistent until relatively recently. Ulcers are now generally attributed to bacterial (helicobacter) infections, but perhaps gluten sensitivity predisposes one to such infections. Comments?

Thanks
Life is to LIVE, not to suffer. Make the most of it, and have some FUN, regardless of your situation.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 debmidge

debmidge

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 07:19 AM

during endoscopy GI found duodenal ulcer in husband....it was halfway healed ...
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#3 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 09:26 AM

Ulcers were one of my DD's primary presentations.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#4 ptkds

ptkds

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 495 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 11:33 AM

When my dd was 14 months old, she had an endoscopy done and the GI found some ulcers in her stomach. He said they were most likely from gluten, even though her celiac tests were negative. Also, her H. pylori bacteria (the bacteria that can cause ulcers) test was negative. So, yes, I believe that ulcers can be caused by gluten if you are a celiac or gluten intolerant.

ptkds

Mom of 4 beautiful girls (the 2 youngest are only 10 months apart!)
Diagnosed with Celiac disease on November 8, 2006; gluten-free as of 12-1-06.

DD#2 13 years old; diagnosed on November 28, 2006. gluten-free as of 12-7-06.
DD#3 9 years old; diagnosed through blood work in October 2006. Gluten-free as of mid-November and doing GREAT!!
DD#4 8 years old; had a scope done on 6-22-07 (at 14 months old) and the dr saw stomach ulcers, but all test results were negative. GI dr told us to put her on the gluten free diet anyway. She is gluten free as of 6-22-07.

#5 neesee

neesee

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 243 posts

Posted 30 December 2007 - 12:32 PM

Nope, no ulcers whatsoever!

neesee

#6 hathor

hathor

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,031 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 07:00 AM

I think I've had gluten problems my entire life, just not known about it until a year ago.

Some years ago I was told I had a duodenal "irritation." This was way before anyone knew about H. pylori. I got the standard advice given to ulcer folks back then, which had no effect on what I felt. I think it was a gall bladder problem; sometimes my food just wouldn't digest and I would experience quite a bit of pain. I just learned to avoid the foods that set me off, mostly high fat items and in particular eggs.

McDougall diet (low fat vegan) since 6/00
Gluten free since 1/6/07
Soy free and completely casein and egg free since 2/15/07
Yeast free, on and off, since 3/1/07 -- I can't notice any difference one way or the other

Enterolab results -- 2/15/07
Fecal Antigliladin IgA 140 (Normal Range <10 units)
Fecal Antitissue Transglutaminase IgA 50 (Normal Range <10 units)
Quantitative Microscopic Fecal Fat Score 517 (Normal Range <300 units)
Fecal anti-casein (cow's milk) IgA antibody 127 (Normal Range <10 units)
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0501
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 06xx
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (subtype 5,6)
Fecal anti-ovalbumin (chicken egg) IgA antibody 11 (Normal range <10 units)
Fecal Anti-Saccharomyces cerevisiae (dietary yeast) IgA 11 (Normal range <10 units)
Fecal Anti-Soy IgA 119 (Normal Range < 10 units)

#7 sneezydiva

sneezydiva

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:07 AM

I think I've had gluten problems my entire life, just not known about it until a year ago.

Some years ago I was told I had a duodenal "irritation." This was way before anyone knew about H. pylori. I got the standard advice given to ulcer folks back then, which had no effect on what I felt. I think it was a gall bladder problem; sometimes my food just wouldn't digest and I would experience quite a bit of pain. I just learned to avoid the foods that set me off, mostly high fat items and in particular eggs.

That is what they told me this past July when I had an endoscopy to look for an ulcer. I had all the classic symptoms, and everyone was convinced I had one, even though the H. pylori test was negative and Nexium didn't help my severe stomach pain and obvious adominal tenderness.

Unfortunately, they didn't look in or biopsy my small intestine, but the pain went away just 3 days after starting the gluten free diet.
Celiac blood testing negative July 2007
Confirmed diagnosis of wheat allergy by skin test Dec 2007
Gluten-lite since July 2007 (didn't know all the hidden sources of gluten)
Gluten-free since December 2007

Life Long Symptoms
Extreme fatigue--needing 10-12 hours of sleep and still woke up exhusted
Allergic to everything--allergies remained out of control despite shots and strict enviornmental controls in my home.
Severe "sinus" headaches

More Recent Symptoms
IBS symptoms
Severe stabbing stomach pains that started 6 months before diagnosis of wheat allergy.

In my heart I feel it is more than an allergy and that I am gluten intolerant. This is based on my how eerily my childhood maladies match most celiac's histories, and my more recent increase in the severity of my usual symptoms and new digestive symptoms that have already started to subside on the gluten-free diet.

#8 Lollie

Lollie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 350 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 11:51 AM

Prior to going gluten-free I was diagnosed over and over with ulcers, always after the endoscope confirmed my doc's diagnosis.... They always said I was too young for all that, but yet I had them. I personally believe that the gluten was keeping my stomach and intestines "roughed up". I know that now that I am gluten-free, 2 years later, I am alot better. I don't take med's for it. Only when really stressed out (ie moving or a death in the family) do I have that kind of pain.

Lollie
tests inconclusive, diet conclusive January 2006

#9 Molecular Dude

Molecular Dude

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 29 posts

Posted 31 December 2007 - 02:18 PM

Well, clearly I'm not the only one who has experienced both ulcers and gluten sensitivity. But, the question remains as to whether there is a causal relationship, and which is the chicken and which is the egg if they are in fact intertwined phenomena.

If I had to speculate, I would predict that gluten sensitivity is causal since it can cause upper small intestine erosion of a sort. But, on the other hand, ulcers might be causal since their damage may allow the immune system to begin to recognize and attack the otherwise normally protected tissues, as occurs in celiac. A controlled study may be in order here!
Life is to LIVE, not to suffer. Make the most of it, and have some FUN, regardless of your situation.

#10 JoeB

JoeB

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 54 posts

Posted 01 January 2008 - 03:34 PM

I've been gluten free for about three years, but I'm sure I've had celiac for about 30 years (I'm 56). I had a peptic ulcer about 20 years ago (negative for h pylori). I'm not sure about cause and effect, but I do know that before going gluten free, my stomach also had some problem (pain, gas, nasea, etc.) I haven't had any of those problems since going on the diet.
Joe B, Connecticut

Diagnosed April, 2005

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: