This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Couple Days After

norcalballa23

norcalballa23 Rookie

Well to sum up how i was feeling, im 17 and all i was eating macaroni n cheese which has wheat in it. the past week iv been gluten free and am feeling prob 60% better which is great. im going to the docter in 2 days and he has no idea iv gone gluten free. so im worried it wont show in any future tests ill be doing. I definitely dont want to go back on gluten. my life has been hell the past 6 years. it got so bad i even thought of killing people, i was so insane of feeling like poop. and now i feel like i did in 4th grade and im just really happy to be getting better. i just want to know if this is enough for a diagnosis.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

ravenwoodglass Mentor

If the diet is helping you then you have your answer. If you do not feel the need to have a doctor confirm then just go ahead with the diet, you don't need anyones permission to not eat something that is poisoning you. Response to the diet is the real true test of whether it is needed or not. In addition if you are sent to a GI for confirmation most will want you back on gluten for testing that may or may not show up accurately anyway.

If you have only been gluten-free for a week you may want to consider calling your doctors office first thing in the morning and requesting a lab slip for a celiac panel. Then get your blood drawn immediately even if you need to wait a bit for an appointment. If you have only been gluten-free a week they may still pick up antibodies, if you are a person who would show up positive in the first place. Another thing to bear in mind is that your doctor knows your history, he knows how bothered you have been by the issues you have been having. Some doctors upon resolution of those issues will be smart enought to agree with celiac or gluten intolerance and consider that enough for diagnosis. So do talk to your doctor about it, even if you don't decide to go back on gluten, dietary response is valid and you may not see a whole lot of him after your gluten-free for a bit.

norcalballa23 Rookie
If the diet is helping you then you have your answer. If you do not feel the need to have a doctor confirm then just go ahead with the diet, you don't need anyones permission to not eat something that is poisoning you. Response to the diet is the real true test of whether it is needed or not. In addition if you are sent to a GI for confirmation most will want you back on gluten for testing that may or may not show up accurately anyway.

If you have only been gluten-free for a week you may want to consider calling your doctors office first thing in the morning and requesting a lab slip for a celiac panel. Then get your blood drawn immediately even if you need to wait a bit for an appointment. If you have only been gluten-free a week they may still pick up antibodies, if you are a person who would show up positive in the first place. Another thing to bear in mind is that your doctor knows your history, he knows how bothered you have been by the issues you have been having. Some doctors upon resolution of those issues will be smart enought to agree with celiac or gluten intolerance and consider that enough for diagnosis. So do talk to your doctor about it, even if you don't decide to go back on gluten, dietary response is valid and you may not see a whole lot of him after your gluten-free for a bit.

Yeah i actually already had blood drawn for celiac and stool tests, i just couldn't stand waiting even longer for the results that i still dont have. hopefully the bloods come back positive and i can be diagnosed.

ravenwoodglass Mentor
Yeah i actually already had blood drawn for celiac and stool tests, i just couldn't stand waiting even longer for the results that i still dont have. hopefully the bloods come back positive and i can be diagnosed.

Just make sure you remember that there are a lot of false negatives with blood work. No matter what your test results you need to do the diet for a couple of months. Your results from the dietary exclusion are going to be the most valid result you can get. You have already seen a bit of improvement gluten-free so stick with it even if the tests say you don't need to. Inadaquate testing in the US leaves a lot of us suffering needlessly for years.

GlutenWrangler Contributor

Go with what feels right. Follow your gut, and don't worry if your results come back negative. False negatives are very common. Just don't let a doctor tell you that you don't have it. Good luck,

-Brian

norcalballa23 Rookie
Go with what feels right. Follow your gut, and don't worry if your results come back negative. False negatives are very common. Just don't let a doctor tell you that you don't have it. Good luck,

-Brian

yeah man, i feel like i did in 5th grade. i guess iv felt like crap so long i got used to it. this diet is doing wonders.

Archived