This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

More Sensitive Now That I'm Gf?

captain

captain Newbie

I have a question, I was diagnosed two weeks ago, at which time I had symptoms that bothered me, but nothing truly ferocious. I was on a completely "normal" diet (meaning just whatever I felt like eating I ate.) Then I went gluten-free, and I feel fine - much better in fact. But when I have a little speck of a forbidden food by accident, I get raging intestinal problems. Weird, eh? They were never this bad before I went gluten-free - and I was eating piles of gluten all the time.

So, my question is, has anyone noticed that they became MORE sensitive to gluten after they went gluten free? Or am I just making this up? I'd appreciate other perspectives.

the captain.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hapi2bgf Contributor

Yup that's normal. I can't explain why, but I know the same thing happened to me. Search the archives and I'm sure you'll find more info.

Track your food and call on EVERYTHING before you eat it. You will feel much better in the end.

Good luck!

tom Contributor

I think it's pretty typical of many things biological to have an increased sensitivity to a stimulus after that stimulus has been absent.

I'm certain i became far more sensitive to gluten after a few weeks gluten-free. Maybe more so after months.

Maggie1956 Rookie

I've been on gluten-free diet for 8 days now, and I'm sure I am a lot more sensitive to gluten now.

It's good in a way. at least it helps to clear the clutter of trying to sort through ALL the rotten gluttenous food I've consumed. Now I can single it down to one or two mistakes I might have overlooked. Maggie :)

kabowman Explorer

I have been gluten-free since July 2004, I have since eliminated soy, garbonzo, yeast, corn, vinegar, peanuts, almonds, and wine. I eliminated lactose/casein and MSG about 5+ years ago.

I continue to become more sensitive to all of these items. In fact, some things like banana chips I can no longer eat and they were fine a couple of months ago, I attribute it to my yeast intolerance and I am becoming more sensitive to smaller amounts.

One note: I am NOT Celiac - the docs could find NO evidence - these are food intolerances. My dietition thinks it may still be celiac disease but that I am "in tune" with my body so I caught it before any real damage. I never had blood tests either. I don't know what to believe about the dxs but I do know that I cannot eat these foods. My husband even mentioned my continuing sensitivity just last night.

-Kate

captain Newbie

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm relieved to find out it's not all in my head!

the captain.

Maggie1956 Rookie
I have been gluten-free since July 2004, I have since eliminated soy, garbonzo, yeast, corn, vinegar, peanuts, almonds, and wine. I eliminated lactose/casein and MSG about 5+ years ago.

-Kate

I haven't had MSG for many years. I realised then that I was really uncomfortable after a meal in a Chinese restaurant. It just wasn't worth it. I haven't eaten peanuts for a few years either, as they give me migraines.

Over the past nine days (since I started going gluten-free) I've discovered that soy, corn (I used to eat popcorn at every opportunity, especially caramel). I don't drink wine so that's not a problem.

I'm wondering about almonds. Still not sure, but I'm finding that I feel that they are just sitting there, in my tummy, and not digesting properly. :angry:

Actually, I'm finding it all a bit hard. I'm flying blind really. Without this forum, I'd have absolutely NO IDEA what to eat or eliminate.

Apart from meat, salad and some cooked vegetables, what do I eat? :huh: I'm not too sure about eggs and milk too. I just don't want to make myself more sick by having things which aren't gluten-free, or that I'm sensitive to.

Maybe the diatician I see next Tuesday will be really up on her knowlege of coeliac disease. Oh brother.

Sorry, I'm a bit bewildered right now. :blink:

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

nailehead Rookie

Hmmmm, this question from captain is exactly one of the "things" i have been wondering about, and on my "list" of things to ask.

Because i too have been feeling very sensitive, and have really been trying to watch what i eat, but was wondering if even the littlest amount of gluten NOW, gives me the same symptoms ( if not worse ) than when i was eating EVERYTHING!

like last night, i was starving at work, working overtime, and my company bought pizza, so i figured i would do a little experiment and have 1 piece, but just eating the supreme, but safe(?) ingredients on top......by the time i got home i had bad stomach pains, acid reflux, diarrhea, nausea, and eventually i threw up...but felt much better after i did..

was this all in my head "worrying" i was gonna get sick? or did even that little amount of cross-contamination from the crust make me sick?

hmmmmm

this sucks :(

i sure do miss my pizza, burgers, fajitas.........

hard to stay on track! :unsure:

darlindeb25 Collaborator
;) you bet there was cross contamination--just touching that crust was all you needed to be glutened--maybe you havent read yet about the piece of bread theory---if you take a piece of bread and you cut it into 1000 pieces, just 1/1000th is all it takes to make us sick--think about that--how big do you think 1/1000th is <_< no more gluten pizza--otay :rolleyes: deb
nailehead Rookie

:o wow, thanks for the tip deb!

i cant beleive it takes just that little.

so is it the fact that once you become diagnosed and you start the gluten-free diet, it must be a huge assimilation for your body to go through and get rid of, so once that happens, we become "hypersensitive" to ANY gluten at all???? :unsure:

darlindeb25 Collaborator
;) i guess that is how it goes--i know it seems almost everyone is so much more sensitive--but also, most of us were sick all of the time, so we didnt react like we do now--6 of one, half a dozen of another, ya know ;) deb
  • 3 weeks later...
Janice C Newbie

If someone in my kitchen handles bread, then touches a plate or piece of lettuce , can I get enough gluten off that plate to harm me? Do I need to wash the lettuce?

tarnalberry Community Regular

I do not eat food that has been touched by someone who's been handling bread without washing his/her hands. They will get flour on them, and pass that on. Not worth the risk.

Archived