Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

• Announcements

• admin

Frequently Asked Questions About Celiac Disease   09/30/2015

This Celiac.com FAQ on celiac disease will guide you to all of the basic information you will need to know about the disease, its diagnosis, testing methods, a gluten-free diet, etc.   Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts What are the major symptoms of celiac disease? Celiac Disease Symptoms What testing is available for celiac disease? - list blood tests, endo with biopsy, genetic test and enterolab (not diagnostic) Celiac Disease Screening Interpretation of Celiac Disease Blood Test Results Can I be tested even though I am eating gluten free? How long must gluten be taken for the serological tests to be meaningful? The Gluten-Free Diet 101 - A Beginner's Guide to Going Gluten-Free Is celiac inherited? Should my children be tested? Ten Facts About Celiac Disease Genetic Testing Is there a link between celiac and other autoimmune diseases? Celiac Disease Research: Associated Diseases and Disorders Is there a list of gluten foods to avoid? Unsafe Gluten-Free Food List (Unsafe Ingredients) Is there a list of gluten free foods? Safe Gluten-Free Food List (Safe Ingredients) Gluten-Free Alcoholic Beverages Distilled Spirits (Grain Alcohols) and Vinegar: Are they Gluten-Free? Where does gluten hide? Additional Things to Beware of to Maintain a 100% Gluten-Free Diet Free recipes: Gluten-Free Recipes Where can I buy gluten-free stuff? Support this site by shopping at The Celiac.com Store.

More Sensitive Now That I'm Gf?

13 posts in this topic

I have a question, I was diagnosed two weeks ago, at which time I had symptoms that bothered me, but nothing truly ferocious. I was on a completely "normal" diet (meaning just whatever I felt like eating I ate.) Then I went gluten-free, and I feel fine - much better in fact. But when I have a little speck of a forbidden food by accident, I get raging intestinal problems. Weird, eh? They were never this bad before I went gluten-free - and I was eating piles of gluten all the time.

So, my question is, has anyone noticed that they became MORE sensitive to gluten after they went gluten free? Or am I just making this up? I'd appreciate other perspectives.

the captain.

Ads by Google:

Yup that's normal. I can't explain why, but I know the same thing happened to me. Search the archives and I'm sure you'll find more info.

Track your food and call on EVERYTHING before you eat it. You will feel much better in the end.

Good luck!

I think it's pretty typical of many things biological to have an increased sensitivity to a stimulus after that stimulus has been absent.

I'm certain i became far more sensitive to gluten after a few weeks gluten-free. Maybe more so after months.

I've been on gluten-free diet for 8 days now, and I'm sure I am a lot more sensitive to gluten now.

It's good in a way. at least it helps to clear the clutter of trying to sort through ALL the rotten gluttenous food I've consumed. Now I can single it down to one or two mistakes I might have overlooked. Maggie :)

I have been gluten-free since July 2004, I have since eliminated soy, garbonzo, yeast, corn, vinegar, peanuts, almonds, and wine. I eliminated lactose/casein and MSG about 5+ years ago.

I continue to become more sensitive to all of these items. In fact, some things like banana chips I can no longer eat and they were fine a couple of months ago, I attribute it to my yeast intolerance and I am becoming more sensitive to smaller amounts.

One note: I am NOT Celiac - the docs could find NO evidence - these are food intolerances. My dietition thinks it may still be celiac disease but that I am "in tune" with my body so I caught it before any real damage. I never had blood tests either. I don't know what to believe about the dxs but I do know that I cannot eat these foods. My husband even mentioned my continuing sensitivity just last night.

-Kate

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'm relieved to find out it's not all in my head!

the captain.

I have been gluten-free since July 2004, I have since eliminated soy, garbonzo, yeast, corn, vinegar, peanuts, almonds, and wine. I eliminated lactose/casein and MSG about 5+ years ago.

-Kate

I haven't had MSG for many years. I realised then that I was really uncomfortable after a meal in a Chinese restaurant. It just wasn't worth it. I haven't eaten peanuts for a few years either, as they give me migraines.

Over the past nine days (since I started going gluten-free) I've discovered that soy, corn (I used to eat popcorn at every opportunity, especially caramel). I don't drink wine so that's not a problem.

I'm wondering about almonds. Still not sure, but I'm finding that I feel that they are just sitting there, in my tummy, and not digesting properly. :angry:

Actually, I'm finding it all a bit hard. I'm flying blind really. Without this forum, I'd have absolutely NO IDEA what to eat or eliminate.

Apart from meat, salad and some cooked vegetables, what do I eat? :huh: I'm not too sure about eggs and milk too. I just don't want to make myself more sick by having things which aren't gluten-free, or that I'm sensitive to.

Maybe the diatician I see next Tuesday will be really up on her knowlege of coeliac disease. Oh brother.

Sorry, I'm a bit bewildered right now. :blink:

Hmmmm, this question from captain is exactly one of the "things" i have been wondering about, and on my "list" of things to ask.

Because i too have been feeling very sensitive, and have really been trying to watch what i eat, but was wondering if even the littlest amount of gluten NOW, gives me the same symptoms ( if not worse ) than when i was eating EVERYTHING!

like last night, i was starving at work, working overtime, and my company bought pizza, so i figured i would do a little experiment and have 1 piece, but just eating the supreme, but safe(?) ingredients on top......by the time i got home i had bad stomach pains, acid reflux, diarrhea, nausea, and eventually i threw up...but felt much better after i did..

was this all in my head "worrying" i was gonna get sick? or did even that little amount of cross-contamination from the crust make me sick?

hmmmmm

this sucks :(

i sure do miss my pizza, burgers, fajitas.........

hard to stay on track! :unsure:

;) you bet there was cross contamination--just touching that crust was all you needed to be glutened--maybe you havent read yet about the piece of bread theory---if you take a piece of bread and you cut it into 1000 pieces, just 1/1000th is all it takes to make us sick--think about that--how big do you think 1/1000th is <_< no more gluten pizza--otay :rolleyes: deb

:o wow, thanks for the tip deb!

i cant beleive it takes just that little.

so is it the fact that once you become diagnosed and you start the gluten-free diet, it must be a huge assimilation for your body to go through and get rid of, so once that happens, we become "hypersensitive" to ANY gluten at all???? :unsure:

;) i guess that is how it goes--i know it seems almost everyone is so much more sensitive--but also, most of us were sick all of the time, so we didnt react like we do now--6 of one, half a dozen of another, ya know ;) deb

If someone in my kitchen handles bread, then touches a plate or piece of lettuce , can I get enough gluten off that plate to harm me? Do I need to wash the lettuce?

I do not eat food that has been touched by someone who's been handling bread without washing his/her hands. They will get flour on them, and pass that on. Not worth the risk.