Follow Us:  Twitter Facebook RSS Feed            

arrowShare this page:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Ads by Google:
Celiac.com Sponsor:                                    

Photo
- - - - -

Worcester Sauce - Are There Any Gf Brands?

• Please log in to reply

23 replies to this topic

#1 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 04:02 PM

I've serched high and low for a gluten free worcester sauce. Does anyone know of any gluten free brands or even a recipe to make a gluten free worcester sauce? I want to make a casserole that calls for worcester sauce but I can't find any gluten free ones.

I did find a controversy in my quest though.... :huh:

Check this out:

Lea & Perrins say on their website that their sauce is gluten free, yet they have malt vinegar listed as an ingredient:
http://www.leaperrin...contacts.php#qe

However this artcile states Lea & Perrins admitting that their sauce actually does contain gluten:
http://www.talkabout...sages/9315.html

Interesting isn't it??? <_<

What do you guys think?
Carrie Faith

Diagnosed with Celiac Disease in March 2004
Postitive tTg Blood Test, December 2003
Positive Biopsy, March 3, 2004

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 angel_jd1

angel_jd1

Gluten Free Goddess

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,053 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 05:18 PM

I'm guessing that you are talking about Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce. I have a bottle in my fridge and nowhere does it state any ingredient as being malt anything. My bottle is a US bottle, i'm not sure if their ingredients vary from country to country. Also, the website address that you have for them isn't the one for the us. Possibly that is the problem. Here are their FAQ's if you would like to check things out. http://www.lea-and-p...om/contacts.php
-Jessica :rolleyes:
Jessica
Gluten Free since 12-31-2002!!
Kansas

#3 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 06:16 PM

Looks like there is a different UK version of Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce.
I know i've looked at the ingred list here in the US and there was no malt vinegar. And i see it on the safe lists regularly.

Europe has an entirely different set of meanings for gluten-free vs "naturally gluten-free" and they allow labels to say gluten-free when there IS a measureable amount of gluten, if it is below some ppm. I'd hope that at least ONE of their terms means 0ppm.
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#4 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 06:27 PM

Lea & Perrins most definitely is gluten-free in the U.S. and most definitely is NOT gluten-free outside the U.S. You're mixing up the countries.

In the U.S. French's and Kroger are also gluten-free.

richard

#5 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 07 December 2004 - 07:48 PM

That's odd... :huh:
It's annoying that they only make a gluten free version in the US. Why wouldn't they keep the same recipe for all countries? You think it would make sence to be consistent... Who knows...

Richard,
Thanks. I'll check out French's and Kroger here in Canada.

Hopefully I'll find something :)
Carrie Faith

#6 lovegrov

lovegrov

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 06:53 AM

I can only assume that L&P tested various versions and in Canada folks liked the one with wheat best. Check the French's, but do you all have Kroger stores there?

Also, check out Angostura. I'm pretty certain it's gluten-free here.

richard

#7 astyanax

astyanax

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 169 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 07:01 AM

you could always just have someone from the states ship it up to you if you're really desperate!
gXf since november 1998

#8 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 08 December 2004 - 08:01 PM

Thanks everyone!
I've never heard of a Kroger store in Canada but I do live in a very small place. I'll also look for the Angostura sauce.

I may just have to get one of my US relatives to bring some of your fancy gluten free worcester sauce the next time they come to visit ;)

Take care B)

-Carrie
Carrie Faith

#9 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 07:34 AM

I still haven't been able to find a gluten free worcestershire sauce where I live in Canada, so I got a friend to pick me up some Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce in the US. He said that every store he went to in the US had malt vinegar listed on the ingredient list on the Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce bottle :( Did the US change their ingredient list on this product? I am so confused right now.
Carrie Faith

#10 jenvan

jenvan

Lynne took this picture! :)

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,211 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 07:46 AM

I have a bottle of lea and perrins (US) and there is no malt in it…it is gluten-free. Weird. Their website (US) says their worst. is suitable for Celiacs :)
~~~~~~~
Jen
Indianapolis, IN

gluten-free since Feb 2005
dairy-free

#11 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:32 AM

Hi Carrie,
I am still waiting for the Lea & Perrins people to email me back. They must be very busy, I emailed them in October :o .

Meanwhile, I have never found a gluten-free worcestershire sauce, the first ingredient on them all is Malt Vinegar EXCEPT Heinz. I was so excited and then I read the brackets after soy sauce. The soy sauce they use has the first ingredient as wheat.

They don't sell French's brand in Canada, I called them a couple of weeks ago. They will ship to Canada however.

So I guess we have to get Heinz on board with using gluten-free soy sauce so the end result is gluten-free.

Meanwhile, my husband is going to Aspen for work in January and he is going to get some gluten-free worcestershire sauce and some Cocoa/Fruity pebbles which are also not available in Canada. Should we send you a bottle?
Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)
Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05
biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05
Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

#12 kimjoy24

kimjoy24

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 80 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 09:47 AM

That's interesting you bring this up, I just got accidentally glutened by Annie's Naturals Worcestershire Sauce. It had soy sauce in it, and I bought it before I understood the dangers of soy sauce. Then significant other made a pot roast, added a couple of tablespoons to it, and the rest is history. However, what I did find in my research is that the company's creator is very sympathetic to the needs of her gluten-free customers and has been working on a gluten-free version using tamari that should be available soon, if not already.
Here's the link to the article (you have to scroll to near the end of the article for the gluten-free mention:

http://www.organicpr...5enterprise.htm
Joy- Midtown Atlanta
Positive Fecal Test Results 6/05
Gluten, Lactose, Casein Intolerant
Severe Fat Malabsorption
Gluten-Free since 6/05

#13 2Boys4Me

2Boys4Me

Ty & me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,127 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 12:31 PM

What is this Tamari soy sauce I hear about being gluten-free? Several times I've seen soy sauce with the word Tamari on it, and it has wheat within the first 3 items on the ingredient list. Is Tamari a brand name?

I use VH soy sauce.
Linda, Mom to Ty (11 years old)
Ty was diagnosed by blood test June 7/05
biopsy Aug 11/05, diagnosis confirmed Aug 18/05
Mom, Dad and big brother Celiac-free.

#14 elonwy

elonwy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,071 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 02:38 PM

This might help:
http://www.care2.com...utions/food/471
elonwy
Positive Bloodwork 7/8/05
Inconclusive Biopsy 7/20/05
gluten-free since 7/23/05
Never felt better.

"So here's us, on the raggedy edge, come a day when there won't be room for naughty men like us to slip about at all. - Malcolm Reynolds"

#15 Carriefaith

Carriefaith

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,861 posts

Posted 12 December 2005 - 03:07 PM

Thanks!

I have a bottle of lea and perrins (US) and there is no malt in it…it is gluten-free. Weird. Their website (US) says their worst. is suitable for Celiacs

Ok that is very weird :unsure: My friend is a trucker, so he has been looking at the ingredients on bottles at various truck stops across the US. Which state do you live in?

Hi Carrie,
I am still waiting for the Lea & Perrins people to email me back. They must be very busy, I emailed them in October

Yeah, I have been ignored by my share of companies too <_< Let me know if they do e-mail you though.

Edited by Carriefaith, 12 December 2005 - 03:30 PM.

Carrie Faith

1 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 1 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: