This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Worcestershire Sauce - Are There Any Gluten-Free Brands?

Carriefaith

Carriefaith Enthusiast

I've serched high and low for a gluten free worcester sauce. Does anyone know of any gluten free brands or even a recipe to make a gluten free worcester sauce? I want to make a casserole that calls for worcester sauce but I can't find any gluten free ones.

I did find a controversy in my quest though.... :huh:

Check this out:

Lea & Perrins say on their website that their sauce is gluten free, yet they have malt vinegar listed as an ingredient:

http://www.leaperrins.com/contacts.php#qe

However this artcile states Lea & Perrins admitting that their sauce actually does contain gluten:

http://www.talkaboutsupport.com/group/alt....sages/9315.html

Interesting isn't it??? <_<

What do you guys think?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

angel-jd1 Community Regular

I'm guessing that you are talking about Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce. I have a bottle in my fridge and nowhere does it state any ingredient as being malt anything. My bottle is a US bottle, i'm not sure if their ingredients vary from country to country. Also, the website address that you have for them isn't the one for the us. Possibly that is the problem. Here are their FAQ's if you would like to check things out. http://www.lea-and-perrins.com/contacts.php

-Jessica :rolleyes:

tom Contributor

Looks like there is a different UK version of Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce.

I know i've looked at the ingred list here in the US and there was no malt vinegar. And i see it on the safe lists regularly.

Europe has an entirely different set of meanings for gluten-free vs "naturally gluten-free" and they allow labels to say gluten-free when there IS a measureable amount of gluten, if it is below some ppm. I'd hope that at least ONE of their terms means 0ppm.

lovegrov Collaborator

Lea & Perrins most definitely is gluten-free in the U.S. and most definitely is NOT gluten-free outside the U.S. You're mixing up the countries.

In the U.S. French's and Kroger are also gluten-free.

richard

Carriefaith Enthusiast

That's odd... :huh:

It's annoying that they only make a gluten free version in the US. Why wouldn't they keep the same recipe for all countries? You think it would make sence to be consistent... Who knows...

Richard,

Thanks. I'll check out French's and Kroger here in Canada.

Hopefully I'll find something :)

lovegrov Collaborator

I can only assume that L&P tested various versions and in Canada folks liked the one with wheat best. Check the French's, but do you all have Kroger stores there?

Also, check out Angostura. I'm pretty certain it's gluten-free here.

richard

astyanax Rookie

you could always just have someone from the states ship it up to you if you're really desperate!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks everyone!

I've never heard of a Kroger store in Canada but I do live in a very small place. I'll also look for the Angostura sauce.

I may just have to get one of my US relatives to bring some of your fancy gluten free worcester sauce the next time they come to visit ;)

Take care B)

-Carrie

• 1 year later...
Carriefaith Enthusiast

I still haven't been able to find a gluten free worcestershire sauce where I live in Canada, so I got a friend to pick me up some Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce in the US. He said that every store he went to in the US had malt vinegar listed on the ingredient list on the Lea and Perrins Worcestershire Sauce bottle :( Did the US change their ingredient list on this product? I am so confused right now.

jenvan Collaborator

I have a bottle of lea and perrins (US) and there is no malt in it…it is gluten-free. Weird. Their website (US) says their worst. is suitable for Celiacs :)

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

Hi Carrie,

I am still waiting for the Lea & Perrins people to email me back. They must be very busy, I emailed them in October :o .

Meanwhile, I have never found a gluten-free worcestershire sauce, the first ingredient on them all is Malt Vinegar EXCEPT Heinz. I was so excited and then I read the brackets after soy sauce. The soy sauce they use has the first ingredient as wheat.

They don't sell French's brand in Canada, I called them a couple of weeks ago. They will ship to Canada however.

So I guess we have to get Heinz on board with using gluten-free soy sauce so the end result is gluten-free.

Meanwhile, my husband is going to Aspen for work in January and he is going to get some gluten-free worcestershire sauce and some Cocoa/Fruity pebbles which are also not available in Canada. Should we send you a bottle?

kimjoy24 Apprentice

That's interesting you bring this up, I just got accidentally glutened by Annie's Naturals Worcestershire Sauce. It had soy sauce in it, and I bought it before I understood the dangers of soy sauce. Then significant other made a pot roast, added a couple of tablespoons to it, and the rest is history. However, what I did find in my research is that the company's creator is very sympathetic to the needs of her gluten-free customers and has been working on a gluten-free version using tamari that should be available soon, if not already.

Here's the link to the article (you have to scroll to near the end of the article for the gluten-free mention:

http://www.organicprocessing.com/opfall05/...5enterprise.htm

2Boys4Me Enthusiast

What is this Tamari soy sauce I hear about being gluten-free? Several times I've seen soy sauce with the word Tamari on it, and it has wheat within the first 3 items on the ingredient list. Is Tamari a brand name?

I use VH soy sauce.

elonwy Enthusiast
Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks!

I have a bottle of lea and perrins (US) and there is no malt in it
Edited by Carriefaith
tarnalberry Community Regular
What is this Tamari soy sauce I hear about being gluten-free? Several times I've seen soy sauce with the word Tamari on it, and it has wheat within the first 3 items on the ingredient list. Is Tamari a brand name?

I use VH soy sauce.

Some tamari's are made without wheat. San-J's is one of them.

psawyer Proficient

I'm confused. I went to the L&P web site, and it says that their sauce is made in two plants, one in the US and one in the UK.

But I have a bottle here, purchased in Canada a long time ago (we hardly ever use it), and it says "Made and distributed by E.D.Smith and Sons Limited, Winona, Ontario, Canada for Lea & Perrins Ltd, Worcester, England." So, is there a third plant in Canada?

The L&P web site says that the sauce is ok for celiacs, and that the recipe does not vary, otherwise is would not be the "Original and Genuine Lea & Perrins Worcestershire Sauce."

So, what is the real story? Is the recipe the same in every country? If so, why would some countries have gluten and others not? The web site gives a phone number for North America and a different one for the rest of the world. Which one should I call? Is the stuff I buy in Canada made here, in the US, or in the UK?

The ingredients on the label I have are, "Malt vinegar, water, refiner's molasses, sugar and/or glucose, anchovies, salt, tamarinds, shallots, garlic, spices and natural flavour."

Possible hiding places for gluten could be the malt vinegar (but it should be safe if distilled), or the spices or natural flavour.

Can one of our American members post the ingredient list in the US. And can anybody in the EC post that info. I would really like to know the truth about what is in this.

elonwy Enthusiast

California: Lea & PErrins the Original Worcestershire sauce "the burger booster" 10floz

INgredients: vinegar, molasses, high fructose corn syrup, anchovies, water, onions, salt, garlic, tamarind extract, cloves, natural flavorings, chili pepper extract, hydrolyzed soy and corn protien.

No mention of Malt.

Elonwy

pixiegirl Enthusiast

I just bought my bottle at the Stop and Shop on Cape Cod, MA and my ingredients are the same as what Elonwy posted above. NO malt listed at all. Also I've used it many times with no problems and I react severly and swiftly!

Susan

lovegrov Collaborator

My bottle in Virginia has the same ingredients as the other two just listed from the U.S. Since I went gluten-free four years ago Lea & Perrins in the U.S. has been considered gluten-free. I've also never heard of anybody with celiac having a gluten reaction to it.

richard

Felidae Enthusiast

The Canadian and the UK Lea & Perrins worchestershire sauces are both unsafe for celiacs, but the US Lea & Perrins uses a different recipe and is safe. Apparently there are two recipes.

2Boys4Me Enthusiast
Possible hiding places for gluten could be the malt vinegar (but it should be safe if distilled), or the spices or natural flavour.

Now I'm confused. I thought malt vinegar was off limits no matter what.

Guest nini

there is no malt anything in the bottle of L&P that I have, it says it's made by L&P Fairlawn, New Jersey.

I'm in Georgia and I bought it at Kroger.

Carriefaith Enthusiast

Thanks everyone, for the replies. Where in the US and which stores did you guys find the bottles with no malt vinegar?

I'm in Georgia and I bought it at Kroger.
:) Thanks
  • 9 years later...
R1019P Newbie

I've serched high and low for a gluten free worcester sauce. Does anyone know of any gluten free brands or even a recipe to make a gluten free worcester sauce? I want to make a casserole that calls for worcester sauce but I can't find any gluten free ones.

I did find a controversy in my quest though.... huh.gif

Check this out:

Lea & Perrins say on their website that their sauce is gluten free, yet they have malt vinegar listed as an ingredient:

http://www.leaperrins.com/contacts.php#qe

However this artcile states Lea & Perrins admitting that their sauce actually does contain gluten:

http://www.talkaboutsupport.com/group/alt....sages/9315.html

Interesting isn't it??? dry.gif

What do you guys think?

Hi, Gluten free sense January 22 2015. The bottle I have Says it has "Natural Flavorings". That is a way to hide the gluten in it. Hamburg also may contain Wheat. I got a pack at walmart and Aldi's. Both made me very ill. I hahve celiacs.