10 replies to this topic

#1 carriekate

carriekate

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 31 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:24 PM

I thought I'd share the reply from an Arby's representative when I noticed their "cheesecake poppers were on the gluten-free list and questioned this. Celiacs always have to be alert!

Dear Julie:
Your questions registered by way of the Arby's Guest Feedback system were forwarded to me, Charles Papa, Food Safety and Regulatory Affairs Compliance Officer for Arby's Restaurant Group, Inc. Thank you for your interest in Arby's, and especially for considering our menu in such detail. Im sorry for the oversight regarding the gluten-free status of the Cheesecake Poppers. And Im sorry that no one got back to you sooner on this.

My office is responsible for the accuracy of that information, so I have to apologize personally. And then Ill say, Thanks! too. As soon as I get a chance to correct that mistake, I will go into the website live to edit the entry. And then I have to have some preventive action, too. I have asked the head of our nutrition department to connect me with whoever in our Company is adding menu items to the website. I review matters in written form for accuracy, but I never know what will or will not get posted to the website. So this one took me by surprise, and I am indebted to you for catching the mistake at this time. I appreciate the service you are performing, but this is not the way its supposed to happen. We should serve customers, and we should do it right, whether it happens in our restaurants or the corporate office headquarters.

And to answer your other question, Julie, no, we do not use dedicated fryers for the fries. The website makes this mention, too, for all fried foods. Therefore, I cannot recommend the Homestyle Fries and Potato Cakes for gluten-intolerant individuals. In their cooking at the restaurant, there is the chance they will share fryer-space with wheat flour-based coated items, and cross-contact comes into play.

So thanks, Julie, for considering our menu in such detail and for trying to be our customer. Im sorry for the oversight. Best wishes to you.

Sincerely,
Charles Papa, Ph.D.
Food Safety and Regulatory Affairs Compliance Officer
Technical Services
Arby's Restaurant Group, Inc.
1155 Perimeter Center West
Atlanta, GA 30338
Phone: (678) 514-4315
Mobile: (678) 778-9730
cpapa@arbys.com

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 happygirl

happygirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,942 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:26 PM

Kudos to YOU for taking the steps to do this, and kudos to Arby's for such a thorough reply and plan to correct their mistakes.

#3 MySuicidalTurtle

MySuicidalTurtle

"Like a rolling stone?"

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,663 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 03:41 PM

Aw, that's a great reply.

#4 kevsmom

kevsmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 05:47 PM

Arby's website (www.arbys.com) shows that the roast beef minus the bun is gluten free.

When I went into Arby's to get some roast beef, I noticed that the staff were wearing gloves, but they did not change them between orders. This told me that the same gloves that had just dipped the gloved hand into the pan of roast beef (No, they did not use tongs) and made a sandwich on a roll, turned around to dip that same hand into the cross contaminated roast beef :o :angry:. Needless to say, I asked for my money back and left.

I don't know if all Arby's have this practice, or just the one near me.

Cindy
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease April 2005
Diabetic

#5 2kids4me

2kids4me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:17 PM

That is the best reply I have seen from a company - thanking you for seeing their mistake, a promise to correct it, in addition to acknowledging that the customer should not have to find the errors...wow...and it seems that reading thier reply indicates they are acutely aware of the sensitivity of celiacs to cross contamination!

Sandy

#6 pugluver31902

pugluver31902

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 146 posts

Posted 03 January 2008 - 10:22 PM

Arby's website (www.arbys.com) shows that the roast beef minus the bun is gluten free.

When I went into Arby's to get some roast beef, I noticed that the staff were wearing gloves, but they did not change them between orders. This told me that the same gloves that had just dipped the gloved hand into the pan of roast beef (No, they did not use tongs) and made a sandwich on a roll, turned around to dip that same hand into the cross contaminated roast beef :o :angry:. Needless to say, I asked for my money back and left.

I don't know if all Arby's have this practice, or just the one near me.

Cindy

I couldn't find anything on the menu except some sauces and a sausage patty. Could you show me where you found roast beef? Im just wondering if Im looking at the wrong part of the menu....lol

#7 kevsmom

kevsmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 428 posts

Posted 04 January 2008 - 03:58 PM

I couldn't find anything on the menu except some sauces and a sausage patty. Could you show me where you found roast beef? Im just wondering if Im looking at the wrong part of the menu....lol

I went to http://www.arbys.com/
Clicked on Nutrition
Clicked Allergens
Clicked Printable Food Allergens

Cindy
Diagnosed with Celiac Disease April 2005
Diabetic

#8 Avarismama

Avarismama

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 10:54 AM

I thought I'd share the reply from an Arby's representative when I noticed their "cheesecake poppers were on the gluten-free list and questioned this. Celiacs always have to be alert!

Dear Julie:
Your questions registered by way of the Arby's Guest Feedback system were forwarded to me, Charles Papa, Food Safety and Regulatory Affairs Compliance Officer for Arby's Restaurant Group, Inc. Thank you for your interest in Arby's, and especially for considering our menu in such detail. Im sorry for the oversight regarding the gluten-free status of the Cheesecake Poppers. And Im sorry that no one got back to you sooner on this.

My office is responsible for the accuracy of that information, so I have to apologize personally. And then Ill say, Thanks! too. As soon as I get a chance to correct that mistake, I will go into the website live to edit the entry. And then I have to have some preventive action, too. I have asked the head of our nutrition department to connect me with whoever in our Company is adding menu items to the website. I review matters in written form for accuracy, but I never know what will or will not get posted to the website. So this one took me by surprise, and I am indebted to you for catching the mistake at this time. I appreciate the service you are performing, but this is not the way its supposed to happen. We should serve customers, and we should do it right, whether it happens in our restaurants or the corporate office headquarters.

And to answer your other question, Julie, no, we do not use dedicated fryers for the fries. The website makes this mention, too, for all fried foods. Therefore, I cannot recommend the Homestyle Fries and Potato Cakes for gluten-intolerant individuals. In their cooking at the restaurant, there is the chance they will share fryer-space with wheat flour-based coated items, and cross-contact comes into play.

So thanks, Julie, for considering our menu in such detail and for trying to be our customer. Im sorry for the oversight. Best wishes to you.

Sincerely,
Charles Papa, Ph.D.
Food Safety and Regulatory Affairs Compliance Officer
Technical Services
Arby's Restaurant Group, Inc.
1155 Perimeter Center West
Atlanta, GA 30338
Phone: (678) 514-4315
Mobile: (678) 778-9730
cpapa@arbys.com

I couldn't find the Gluten free menu. I am new to this could you please help me. My husband loves Arby's....I did too!!

#9 home_based_mom

home_based_mom

Operation Christmas Child

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 768 posts

Posted 12 February 2008 - 06:45 PM

Only 3 dipping sauces are listed as gluten free. Moreover, this statement alone makes me think that we should all cross Arby's off our lists indefinitely.

"All of our foods are prepared in a common kitchen, and all of our fried foods are prepared in a common oil."

:o
Sandi ~ learning to live in a world obsessed and infested with wheat.
"You don't need a weatherman to know which way the wind blows" probably was not referring to us . . .
"For the love of money gluten is a root of all sorts of evil, and some by longing for it have wandered away from the faith and pierced themselves with many griefs." (apologies to 1 Timothy 6:10 (NASB)
The person we most dislike is still a soul for whom Christ died. (David Jeremiah)

#10 samcarter

samcarter

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 251 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 06:03 PM

I found myself at an Arby's today; my in laws were visiting and we went out for lunch. It's their favorite fast food place, and we'd never eaten there.

I was able to get a salad, which had no croutons on it to start, and it was pre-packaged. I checked their allergen menu that was available, and saw that the potato cakes claimed to be wheat free, but I'm glad I didn't get on, based on their lack of dedicated fryers.

I'm feeling a little loopy today, but that could be because I snuck a few bites of roast beef out of my kids' sandwiches. I should know better *doh* Or it could be the giant Dr Pepper; I'm not used to high fructose corn syrup anymore. We ate a lot of sugar this weekend!
Negative EMA test 8/08
Gluten free 8/08
Positive response to dietary change
Dairy free 3/09
Citrus free 5/09
Allergies: bananas, apples, green beans, mold.

#11 lizard00

lizard00

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,528 posts

Posted 31 May 2009 - 06:49 PM

I found myself at an Arby's today; my in laws were visiting and we went out for lunch. It's their favorite fast food place, and we'd never eaten there.

I was able to get a salad, which had no croutons on it to start, and it was pre-packaged. I checked their allergen menu that was available, and saw that the potato cakes claimed to be wheat free, but I'm glad I didn't get on, based on their lack of dedicated fryers.

I'm feeling a little loopy today, but that could be because I snuck a few bites of roast beef out of my kids' sandwiches. I should know better *doh* Or it could be the giant Dr Pepper; I'm not used to high fructose corn syrup anymore. We ate a lot of sugar this weekend!

I got dragged into Arby's a couple of weeks ago and about the only thing I could eat was a salad. Probably the same one as you... but it was prepackaged so it really didn't freak me out too bad. I get the feeling that pretty much everything has gluten in it, whether directly or indirectly, so it's really not on the list of places to choose. Thank goodness for the prepackaged salad though!
Be yourself, everyone else is taken.
Oscar Wilde

Gluten free November 2007
IgA Deficient, Neg Bloodwork, Double DQ2 Positive
Dietary and Genetic Diagnosis June 2, 2008
Soy free Jan 09

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: