This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Husband Wants Tilapia

Glutenfreefamily

Glutenfreefamily Enthusiast

I did find a recipe which sounded good with sour cream bread crumbs and italian seasonings but Im hoping to do it dairy free so our daughter can eat it too. My husband is kinda picky and doesnt like lemon pepper fish so any alternative is much appreciated.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Fiddle-Faddle Community Regular

Why not make the recipe as directed, substituting corn meal or Potato Buds for the bread crumbs and soy sour cream for the sour cream? The soy sour cream is very good--we are not dairy free, but I have used it occasionally and nobody noticed!

MrMark Apprentice

Grilled Tilapia-

I found that grilling fish on an outdoor propane grill works good. The initial stink of cooking the fish stays outside. I'm no chef though....

Simply clean and oil the grill. Applying cooking oil to the grill is important, as the fish will stick otherwise. There is a special fish grill available on the market, but I don't use one.

Season the fish with garlic salt (gluten free) on both sides. Cook until fish flakes, that simple.

I have cooked salmon, trout, ahi and mahi mahi this way and my kids love it. Kids usually won't eat fish unless it taste good. Tilapia is white meat and pretty neutral in taste, so it should work well. I will try tilapia this way sometime. Easy cleanup too!

CarlaB Enthusiast

Each piece of tilapia gets its own piece of foil for this recipe .... it's from my memory, so I'm not sure on the timing, but it's 350 degrees.

Place a few spinach leaves in the center of the foil, also some sliced mushrooms. Then the tilapia. Pour olive oil over it (or butter if you can have dairy). Fold the foil up and roll the top so it's sealed. Bake. (I'm guessing around 30 minutes ... if I were doing it, I'd check after 20 minutes and judge how much longer it needs).

You can add seasoning before you close up the foil .... salt, pepper and dill would be good. Lemon juice after it's cooked.

The key with fish is to not overcook it. If it flakes, it's done.

Thanks so much for the ideas/recipes, I have a bunch of it! It was on sale at the grocery and I have so much I'll be trying it a few ways :D

Juliet Newbie

Coconut curried tilapia:

Open Original Shared Link

I've really been meaning to try this! Dairy free & gluten free.

Lollie Enthusiast

I've made a delicious pecan encrusted tilapia.... basically you just need really fine ground pecans, salt and pepper... roll the fish in the pecans, cook in a skillet with a little olive oil, when first side is browned, flip and then place in a 375 oven for about 10 minutes.... done! And it really is good.

Lollie

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Yum! thanks so much, Im saving all of these. My mom wants me to email her a copy of them since she bought it too :lol:

cjjolly Newbie

Here's how we like it (I found this by doing a Google search)

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees

1/4 to 1/2 lb of tilapia per person

Rinse the tilapia and place in a shallow glass oven dish

Brush 1 tsp of olive oil on each tilapia filet

Coat each filet with dijon mustard

Crush pecans and cover the filets

Bake at 350 degrees for 30 minutes.

Dorie Newbie

I was looking through the suggestions for the Tilapia we eat it often and while the Pecan encrusted is really good, it can be fattening. I have found Garbonzo bean flour seasoned with Old Bay seasoning to be one of my favorite. Pan sear it in a small amount of oil until nicely browned.

Good luck,

D

jkmunchkin Rising Star

I just sautee the tilapia in margarine with some salt, pepper and garlic rubbed into it and serve with my favorite veggie and white rice. It's one of my I'm starving, need to eat in 10 minutes meals ;)

Sweetfudge Community Regular

mmm now i need to go out and find some on sale too!

confusedks Enthusiast

Tonight for dinner we had the one CarlaB suggested. It was REALLY good! Except, we didn't use mushrooms (yuck! lol) and we did it on the BBQ.

Sweetfudge Community Regular
Tonight for dinner we had the one CarlaB suggested. It was REALLY good! Except, we didn't use mushrooms (yuck! lol) and we did it on the BBQ.

did you foil them on the BBQ? i personally love mushrooms and bet they'd taste good with fish. :D Good to know the recipe was a success! REALLY gotta go get some fish!

Thanks again I'm hoping to make some this weekend. lol about the mushrooms :D I'm not a big fan of mushrooms either.

Archived