39 replies to this topic

#1 Joyous

Joyous

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 08:35 AM

This is how I feel sometimes, and when I didn't eat gluten for a little while it went away. Does anyone relate to this?
Joy

Not gluten free yet because I'm waiting to be tested.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_j_mommy_*

Guest_j_mommy_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2008 - 09:52 AM

Yes, your whole bondy goes out of whack if you eat gluten(and you have celiac or gluten intolerance). Many people feel a ton better when they go gluten-free...no depression, pain ect.

#3 rock on!

rock on!

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 10:37 AM

Although I don't really feel that way, I have seen it first hand in my husband.

All of 2007 was basically like that for him. He was just down, down, down every day. In a way, it's good that we run our own business, because I don't think he could've held down a job in the state he was in.

Then, about the end of November...a month and 1/2 into the gluten-free diet for him...he slowly began to have a better attitude overall. Things began to interest him again & he began to be the fun-loving guy I fell in love with. I was sooooo relieved to see this!

Then, we went to a holiday party where a friend of ours cooked this fabulous meal. We were told which items were not gluten free & we avoided those. This was our 1st time eating out since going gluten free. But, something got to my husband. He began having all the old symptoms all over again. He backslid into the same bad funk. Only now do I feel like he's beginning to feel a little better mentally. I am really surprised that it's taken this long for him to rally.
I do have to add that he has psoriatic arthritis & I think that a lot of the depression (but definitely not all) stems from having his joints flare up.

Clearly others have these "negative feelings" issues with gluten. But, if you get glutened, how long does it take you to begin to feel like life is worth living again? I am trying to be understanding, but I have to admit, I just want him to snap out of it & see that things were getting so good again. Hearing if others like my husband suffer from an accidental glutening for a while would really help.

Needless to say....it's gluten-free all the way!!! :D
never dx Celiac
dx IBS whole life
gluten free 9/12/07

husband:
blood test results negative
dx psoriatic arthritis 2005
psoriasis since childhood
gluten free 9/14/07

#4 Joyous

Joyous

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 11:43 AM

Thank you for these responses, they're helpful. I think the overall feeling for about half a day after I consume gluten is melancholy, and when I'm due for my next gluten fix (gotta love those opioid peptides) I get this feeling of restless frustration. I have to do something, but I feel literally incapable of doing anything. And I hate everything. :lol: Good times.
Joy

#5 Guest_j_mommy_*

Guest_j_mommy_*
  • Guests

Posted 06 January 2008 - 01:35 PM

For some it's a day for some it's longer to bounce back. For me it's a couple days...first is the bathroom issues and the next day or so I just feel out of it.

Watch out for parties....people have teh best intentions on cooking things with gluten free ingredients..but that does not account for CC when cooking ect!!!

#6 MrMark

MrMark

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:56 PM

...and when I'm due for my next gluten fix (gotta love those opioid peptides)...

What is a gluten fix?

Gluten now hits me about 1 day after consuming and the mental and physical effects last for at least 2 or 3 more, depending on the amount. Gluten causes me serious bipolar (manic depressive) side effects, reason enough for me to stay gluten-free. I cannot stand the bipolar :angry:, that really messes me up. I almost think gluten products should be kept behind the pharmacists counter :lol:.

#7 Joyous

Joyous

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 06:21 PM

What is a gluten fix?

For people who are gluten intolerant, eating gluten can cause the body's natural pain killers to be released. When we're used to getting it and we go too long without it, we can go through withdrawals just like any other drug addict who didn't get their fix.
Joy

#8 MrMark

MrMark

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 07:11 PM

Joyous-

Does that mean some people consume gluteny products to satisfy the fix?

:o Isn't the mental and physical punishment enough to put a stop to the craving. I used to have a slight hankering for gluten stuff, but now I have no desire because of the trouble it causes me. I'd rather bang my head on a brick wall than eat it on purpose. :lol: Mark

#9 CuriousOne

CuriousOne

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 03:25 AM

yep definitely feel like that ... definitely...
I eat whatever I want. But I listen to my body. I just can't eat a lot of diary or grains. If I do eat them, I savor and chew them slowly and well... I don't like feeling sluggish and if I eat alot of those things I start feeling sluggish. I feel very cleaned out now. I like to eat lots of raw fruits and veggies. I think for me I just can't eat things that are inflammatory, and dairy and all grains are inflammatory to me. So looks like I'll be eating mainly fruits, veggies, wild or grass-fed meats, and figure out what other stuff I can eat thats not too inflammatory. I'll probably also drink wine or brandy and use other plants things that are anti-inflammatory. Yeah!

#10 aikiducky

aikiducky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 03:52 AM

Rock on, when I first went gluten free, an accidental glutening could make me feel "down" for a couple weeks. I've been gluten free for over three years now and nowadays I recover in a few days. I know it can be frustrating for my husband as well, so you have my sympathies, but it really isn't something he can snap out of. I wish it was! But at least with me time has helped and I do recover more quickly now.

One thing that really helps me after a glutening is taking a vitamin B complex. I know a lot of people here recommend B12 but for me a supplement that has all the vitamin B's in a low dose seems to work well. I take one every day, when I've been glutened, two for a few days. It helps me get through the worst few days.

Pauliina

#11 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 04:20 AM

For people who are gluten intolerant, eating gluten can cause the body's natural pain killers to be released. When we're used to getting it and we go too long without it, we can go through withdrawals just like any other drug addict who didn't get their fix.

This is true of all celiac's, not just gluten intolerant, to a certain extent. I do not believe eating gluten causes the body's natural pain killer's to be released, I do know that we all are addicted to gluten, just as some are addicted to drugs. Gluten is an addiction and we must, always fight that addiction, and never give in, just as a drug addict can never give in to the drug, or an alcoholic can not take a drink--we can NOT eat gluten. Eating gluten only continues the addiction. In time, the want for gluten decreases and in time, you really do not crave it anymore. You will always miss certain foods, but you are missing the food, not the gluten itself.

I almost think gluten products should be kept behind the pharmacists counter .

What a great idea!!!!! :lol:
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#12 Joyous

Joyous

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 04:51 AM

I do not believe eating gluten causes the body's natural pain killer's to be released

Now that I think about it, I think the opioid peptides actually come from the gluten itself. They end up going through the intestinal wall and crossing the blood brain barrier. (I obviously need to learn more about this. lol) Let me see if I can find the article I read...

Okay, got it.

Why are gluten and casein a problem?

There are at least two clear problems. First of all, in some children, gluten is toxic to the intestine, similar to classic celiac disease, causing cramps, nausea, diarrhea or constipation, and poor absorption of nutrients from food. These children may show signs of malnutrition, such as swollen belly, thin arms and legs, skin rash, mouth sores, etc.

Second, and most shocking is that in some people, the proteins gluten and casein are not completely digested, leaving small protein fragments called peptides. Certain of the peptides derived from gluten and casein get through the intestinal wall into the blood stream, and are carried to the brain, where they have opioid activity--that is, they act like morphine! People with this problem are actually addicted to the gluten-derived opioid peptides (called gluten exorphins) and casein-derived opioid peptides (known as casein exorphins or casomorphins). While under the influence of the opioids, the child may not feel pain, and may seem spacey. As the dose of the opioid peptides wears off, the child goes into a withdrawal state, just like a drug addict, and may behave in an agitated or aggressive manner.

Is this gluten problem like celiac disease?

It is probably somewhere on the spectrum between classical "celiac sprue" and the less clear manifestions which are currently being called "atypical celiac disease." People with the atypical form of the disease may show no gastro-intestinal symptoms at all, only malabsorption of nutrients[4] or neurological symptoms such as ataxia (lack of coordination in walking)[5]. Many children who have the opioid peptide problem show up positive on tests for celiac disease, but not all do. My children's blood tests were negative for celiac disease. Note that celiac patients who do not follow a gluten-free diet have a high rate of mental illness and epilepsy[6], suggesting again that gluten or gluten-derived peptides can have mental effects.

However, perhaps when we eat things that are poison to our bodies it's reaction to pain and/or danger is to be expected? I have read about how people who lack the enzymes to digest certain sugars can become addicted to them because of the release of endorphins, which can be addictive.

Also, some people (especially people who can't absorb the nutrients from their food?) have low levels of norepinephrine (not to mentioned other neurotransmitters) because the proteins we eat contain amino acids that are precursers to neurotransmitters such as dopamine, norepinephrine, and seratonin. I've got a chart in my photobucket about how low levels of these things can cause addictions and other symptoms.

http://i14.photobuck...sanddogs003.jpg

So yeah, a lot of food containing gluten are also starchy. Cravings for bread or pasta (among other things, as you can see) could be the result of malabsorbtion.

Now, having said all that, I've read that many people go through a week or so of withdrawals when they stop consuming foods they're intolerant to. Taking certain supplements can help with this. When I stopped eating gluten for a week and a half as an experiment, I didn't go through any type of withdrawal, but I was taking some of the supplements listed in that chart as well as L-glutamine and a good multivitamin. The one that seems to help me the most is DLPA (listed in the chart as DL-phenylalanine).
Joy

#13 rock on!

rock on!

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 66 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 09:51 AM

Thanks Pauliina. I'm glad that things have gotten better for you over time & it's really reassuring to hear that someone else felt "down" for a while after getting glutened. Today is the 1st day in weeks that my husband got up & didn't scowl. I think he's on the mend. I do understand that he can't snap out of it. We're very open with communication & he does tell me what it's like for him. I just hate feeling like there's nothing I can do for him. You have given me hope that he can & will keep healing.

My husband is B12 deficient & I give him shots every 2 weeks. Come to think of it, yesterday he said he feels like he needs his shot. I'll give it to him today, maybe that will help him feel better.

Best to you-
R.O.

Rock on, when I first went gluten free, an accidental glutening could make me feel "down" for a couple weeks. I've been gluten free for over three years now and nowadays I recover in a few days. I know it can be frustrating for my husband as well, so you have my sympathies, but it really isn't something he can snap out of. I wish it was! But at least with me time has helped and I do recover more quickly now.

One thing that really helps me after a glutening is taking a vitamin B complex. I know a lot of people here recommend B12 but for me a supplement that has all the vitamin B's in a low dose seems to work well. I take one every day, when I've been glutened, two for a few days. It helps me get through the worst few days.

Pauliina

never dx Celiac
dx IBS whole life
gluten free 9/12/07

husband:
blood test results negative
dx psoriatic arthritis 2005
psoriasis since childhood
gluten free 9/14/07

#14 Lisa

Lisa

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,802 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 10:02 AM

Now that I think about it, I think the opioid peptides actually come from the gluten itself. They end up going through the intestinal wall and crossing the blood brain barrier. (I obviously need to learn more about this. lol) Let me see if I can find the article I read...

Okay, got it.

However, perhaps when we eat things that are poison to our bodies it's reaction to pain and/or danger is to be expected? I have read about how people who lack the enzymes to digest certain sugars can become addicted to them because of the release of endorphins, which can be addictive.

Also, some people (especially people who can't absorb the nutrients from their food?) have low levels of norepinephrine (not to mentioned other neurotransmitters) because the proteins we eat contain amino acids that are precursers to neurotransmitters such as dopamine, norepinephrine, and seratonin. I've got a chart in my photobucket about how low levels of these things can cause addictions and other symptoms.

http://i14.photobuck...sanddogs003.jpg

So yeah, a lot of food containing gluten are also starchy. Cravings for bread or pasta (among other things, as you can see) could be the result of malabsorbtion.

Now, having said all that, I've read that many people go through a week or so of withdrawals when they stop consuming foods they're intolerant to. Taking certain supplements can help with this. When I stopped eating gluten for a week and a half as an experiment, I didn't go through any type of withdrawal, but I was taking some of the supplements listed in that chart as well as L-glutamine and a good multivitamin. The one that seems to help me the most is DLPA (listed in the chart as DL-phenylalanine).

Joyous,
Would you please site the source of this article. Thanks. :)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

#15 Joyous

Joyous

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 144 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 03:02 PM

Joyous,
Would you please site the source of this article. Thanks. :)

Sorry, I was going to try to find a link when I posted it but had to get my kid to school and didn't know if I'd have time to google it (ended up being easy because apparently all you have to do with something like that is put quotes around a whole sentence and search for it, and it comes up right away).

Here's what I've found: http://www.come-over...SDnutrition.htm

Anyways... I don't want to make it sound like I'm saying this DEFINITELY IS TRUE or anything like that. I don't know how credible the source is, but when I originally found it I had been reading similar things from other sources (no idea what they were anymore). The article isn't even specifically about Celiac Disease. :lol:
Joy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: