39 replies to this topic

#16 Cinnamon

Cinnamon

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:46 AM

Wow, all I can say is that this explains so many things!! My kids have ADD symptoms, and I'd been trying to find ways of boosting their levels of dopamine, norepinephrine, etc. Now I get it!! They weren't digesting the foods that are precursors to those things. And when I first took my son off gluten, he had what looked for all the world like withdrawal symptoms, sweating like crazy, up all night, craving carbs, etc.

Who would ever have thought that that morning toast was ruining everyone's lives in so many areas!! Physically, mentally, emotionally.

Another piece of the puzzle fits into place! Thanks for posting this.

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 CuriousOne

CuriousOne

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 100 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 07:43 AM

You know its just so weird...
The last few days things have just felt off to me. Everything...every single thing...

And this morning I woke up and finally felt right again.
Its almost ridiculous. I think I did get glutened... I was feeling SO good and then a friend fed me some of this pot roast he made. I'm sure the broth had something bad in it... or it could have been cross contamination from something else.

One sign I know when things aren't going right is my right eye droops. That... and I start getting really nervous around people!!!!! Social anxiety... its just there and I can't shake it. I guess I just feel uncomfortable and I would rather not be around other people because I don't want them to feel my weird feelings that I'm having.

I think whoever said it on these boards....that when your gut is inflamed for whatever reason...then you are in an "anxiety" state. Makes sense! Can you imagine your gut shaking and trembling and inflammed... that is probably what anxiety truly is. A shaky state. And so -you- become that way...and then you start seeing the world through that filter of your own feeling-state. Its just bad...

I'm starting to wonder if there is a big conspiracy out there. We know that huge corporations have such power in America. its almost like corporations are our government now... why?? Well they have tons of money. They have huge connections to our -actual- government. So they have a lot of power.

Just like the cotton and other industries in the 30's told the government to ban hemp (so good for our environment and much better)... I wonder now... if its possible... that some of these huge genetic engineering companies are working together with the government and pharmacuetical companies...

Do you think its possible they have genetically engineered wheat... they KNOW the symptoms and problems it causes...

They work together with the pharmacuetical companies so those companies can make BILLIONS of dollars supplying MEDS to treat the problems caused by a genetically engineered wheat plant. Then its all sealed when they tell the government to put it in all of the elementary and public school system.

I could be really paranoid here...hehe... but just think for a second.

Why the heck is gluten in EVERYTHING. And we even feed our cows this high-gluten stuff...which gets in our MILK...which is in everything also....

Check out some of the articles on DogtorJ.net.... especially his article "The Answer". He really has some interesting ideas.

I personally just CANNOT afford anymore days of being slightly glutened...cross contaminated... blah blah blah blah blah. Its just horrible. Your sitting there wondering what is going wrong with your life. I start questioning everything... and right now I am in a spot in life where I absolutely cannot afford this type of behavior.... because I could tell that this behavior the last few days could have cost me numerous business and social contacts etc...not acting like my true self...not having a clear head.

I guess no more restaurant eating, sadly...at least for a long time. NO MORE EATING stews from "innocent" friends who don't really know what they put in the stew and "threw away the broth packaging" so I couldn't read it.

Just keep eating raw foods...foods like bananas...packaged by God so no possible source of cross-contamination!!

Geez...

These last few days just sucked! I didn't think I was glutened either...although I had thoughts that I could have been somehow. And some signs... I wish there was some sort of ph-test or spit test or piss-test that you could do to see if you were having an auto-immune response so that you could indeed realize what was truly going on!!!

Well back to reality now... finally woke up. All of a sudden everything doesn't seem so starky and I'm ready to take on the day! Phew...

Man this life ain't easy!....
I eat whatever I want. But I listen to my body. I just can't eat a lot of diary or grains. If I do eat them, I savor and chew them slowly and well... I don't like feeling sluggish and if I eat alot of those things I start feeling sluggish. I feel very cleaned out now. I like to eat lots of raw fruits and veggies. I think for me I just can't eat things that are inflammatory, and dairy and all grains are inflammatory to me. So looks like I'll be eating mainly fruits, veggies, wild or grass-fed meats, and figure out what other stuff I can eat thats not too inflammatory. I'll probably also drink wine or brandy and use other plants things that are anti-inflammatory. Yeah!

#18 Guest_maybe I have celiac_*

Guest_maybe I have celiac_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:23 PM

You know its just so weird...
The last few days things have just felt off to me. Everything...every single thing...

And this morning I woke up and finally felt right again.
Its almost ridiculous. I think I did get glutened... I was feeling SO good and then a friend fed me some of this pot roast he made. I'm sure the broth had something bad in it... or it could have been cross contamination from something else.

One sign I know when things aren't going right is my right eye droops. That... and I start getting really nervous around people!!!!! Social anxiety... its just there and I can't shake it. I guess I just feel uncomfortable and I would rather not be around other people because I don't want them to feel my weird feelings that I'm having.

I think whoever said it on these boards....that when your gut is inflamed for whatever reason...then you are in an "anxiety" state. Makes sense! Can you imagine your gut shaking and trembling and inflammed... that is probably what anxiety truly is. A shaky state. And so -you- become that way...and then you start seeing the world through that filter of your own feeling-state. Its just bad...

I'm starting to wonder if there is a big conspiracy out there. We know that huge corporations have such power in America. its almost like corporations are our government now... why?? Well they have tons of money. They have huge connections to our -actual- government. So they have a lot of power.

Just like the cotton and other industries in the 30's told the government to ban hemp (so good for our environment and much better)... I wonder now... if its possible... that some of these huge genetic engineering companies are working together with the government and pharmacuetical companies...

Do you think its possible they have genetically engineered wheat... they KNOW the symptoms and problems it causes...

They work together with the pharmacuetical companies so those companies can make BILLIONS of dollars supplying MEDS to treat the problems caused by a genetically engineered wheat plant. Then its all sealed when they tell the government to put it in all of the elementary and public school system.

I could be really paranoid here...hehe... but just think for a second.

Why the heck is gluten in EVERYTHING. And we even feed our cows this high-gluten stuff...which gets in our MILK...which is in everything also....

Check out some of the articles on DogtorJ.net.... especially his article "The Answer". He really has some interesting ideas.

I personally just CANNOT afford anymore days of being slightly glutened...cross contaminated... blah blah blah blah blah. Its just horrible. Your sitting there wondering what is going wrong with your life. I start questioning everything... and right now I am in a spot in life where I absolutely cannot afford this type of behavior.... because I could tell that this behavior the last few days could have cost me numerous business and social contacts etc...not acting like my true self...not having a clear head.

I guess no more restaurant eating, sadly...at least for a long time. NO MORE EATING stews from "innocent" friends who don't really know what they put in the stew and "threw away the broth packaging" so I couldn't read it.

Just keep eating raw foods...foods like bananas...packaged by God so no possible source of cross-contamination!!

Geez...

These last few days just sucked! I didn't think I was glutened either...although I had thoughts that I could have been somehow. And some signs... I wish there was some sort of ph-test or spit test or piss-test that you could do to see if you were having an auto-immune response so that you could indeed realize what was truly going on!!!

Well back to reality now... finally woke up. All of a sudden everything doesn't seem so starky and I'm ready to take on the day! Phew...

Man this life ain't easy!....

Check out the Gov't's food pyramid and look at what comprises the majority of it...

http://medicalimages...ide-pyramid.jpg

#19 fedora

fedora

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 443 posts

Posted 03 February 2008 - 06:21 PM

I would like to say I am so sorry...and Thank Goddess I am not alone anymore!!!!!!!since going gluten free I haven't had a single depressed mood, no pms!!!, no anxiety.
gluten . . . Kiss my grits!

pork and beef free- 1994
wheat free or wheat light- 2003
gluten free- January 2008

#20 Dennis wayne

Dennis wayne

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:03 AM

This is how I feel sometimes, and when I didn't eat gluten for a little while it went away. Does anyone relate to this?

Yes when i was sick or even now when i get cross contaminated i don`t even want to be around anyone and when i am i can`t look them in the eye i just want to be left alone in my misery. thats why it`s so great to find out it feels sooo much better. it`s hard to believe i lived like that for so long. good luck

#21 Dennis wayne

Dennis wayne

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 02:22 AM

Check out the Gov't's food pyramid and look at what comprises the majority of it...

http://medicalimages...ide-pyramid.jpg

amen brother... wheat is a subsidized crop, cheap and versatile and yes it has been highly modified over the years. over the last 3 yrs i have lost everything house wife family business everything ended up living at my mom`s towards the end. now i`m starting all over and it`s a lot slower a process than i thought it would be. but i just have to be patient ( i was really bad like a concentration camp victim) and focus on getting better. good luck

#22 pixiegirl

pixiegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 756 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 03:28 AM

This doesn't happen to me but... to my daughter it does! She has been gluten free for about a month and the difference in her personality is like night and day. When she was a gluten eater she was always so down on herself, to the point of... well as her mom, it was scary to me.

Now she is just a typical teenager. Some good days. some not so good but nothing like she had before. Having other food allergies + now have to be gluten-free has been hard on her, she feels so "different" then other kids so I'm praying every day that she sticks to the gluten-free.

On another note... its early and I'm only on my first cup of tea but earlier in this post some were talking about being addicted to gluten, the say like smoking, its addicting to everyone. Is that what you were saying? I'm not sure thats true. BGF (before gluten free) I ate pizza or sour dough bread occasionally but I certainly didn't crave them and once I found out I had to be gluten-free it was ok - done. I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms, I didn't feel deprived or have personality changes (other then good ones cuz I felt so much better). So I'm not sure I'm buying its addicting.

Either way.... have a good one!

Susan

#23 aikiducky

aikiducky

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,113 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 04:16 AM

I didn't have any withdrawal symptoms, I didn't feel deprived or have personality changes (other then good ones cuz I felt so much better). So I'm not sure I'm buying its addicting.

I don't think it's necessarily addicting to everyone. But I think to people who have more of the neurological and mood symptoms, a lot of those people say they were big bread eaters and found it hard to quit. So I think it's quite possible that gluten has a different effect on some people, you shouldn't generalize from just your own experience (although of course we all do that).

Pauliina

#24 Cinnamon

Cinnamon

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 135 posts

Posted 20 February 2008 - 06:33 AM

Well, I think what's happening when a person seems addicted to gluten is that bits of undigested or partially digested gluten (or dairy) find their way back into the bloodstream, and supposedly they are of a similar composition to opiates like morphine or heroin and fit into the same receptor sites in the brain. They are even called casomorphin and gliamorphin or gliadorphin or something like that, names similar to morphine. There's a theory called the opioid peptide theory which anyone can google for more information about this. I think you have to have a leaky gut problem to have this, though.

#25 huevo_no_bueno

huevo_no_bueno

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 26 February 2008 - 11:38 PM

As I read through this, it keeps making more and more sense....A couple hours after eating gluten the mental symptoms are as follows: social anxiety, slight dizziness, "down" feeling, both wired and tired at the same time, my inner critic gets really super loud...

I tested negative for celiac disease but was dx gluten intolerant and told to eliminate it. I've tested as having extremely low neurotransmitter levels, and have been on high levels of St. John's Wort (herbal serotonin booster) and amino acids to address the deficiency, for over a year. I know this was caused by gluten, because when I go off of gluten, it is like taking a happy pill; in about two days I start to feel "normal" again. And then after about 4 to 5 days I feel like the sun is shining and I finally know what it is like to actually be happy--and not in a constant self-berating, groggy funk. I liken this effect to a garden hose with a kink in it--you remove the gluten, you take the kink out of the hose, and everything flows as it should.

It was a relief to get to stop gluten (I was eating it in anticipation of a possible biopsy and I was totally miserable).

I can identify with every single mental/emotional symptom described here. And I used to be a total wheat freak. It was all or nothing for me. I'd go off of it for a few months, and then a day would come along when I would say, a little bit won't hurt. Sooner or later I had to have it every morning to feel "up." On some level I knew it was making me unwell, mentally.

And you know what I think? I'm no doctor, but for what it is worth: just because medicine doesn't have a test to measure the damage gluten does in some people's brains, does not mean that it isn't every bit as serious as celiac disease. It just happens to manifest in some people as one, or the other, or both.

So, as I understand it from reading the articles I'm linking to below, the theory is that the peptide chains in gluten don't break down in the gut. These large opioid peptides go into the brain, and jam into one's opiate receptors. Much like the toxins in our environment that mimic hormones in our bodies and jam themselves rudely into our hormone receptors, the key fits, but not quite. It is like jamming a square peg into a round hole. This places the "kink in the hose." Gluten comes in, and your own endorphins can't go into your receptors, so maybe your poor little natural endorphins give up and go home or something....And eventually the hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal axis gets out of whack, and that's when physical effects of all sorts may ensue. Like adrenal fatigue, PMS, sleep problems, so-called emotional problems.

Anyway, here are the articles I found a while ago when I was googling this topic. If you've already seen them, I apologize; if not, I hope they are helpful for someone. I hope there is someday a test to see who has this "brain allergy" (an overly mild term, in my opinion) so that they can avoid all the confusion I had for years.

http://orthomolecula...5n01-p005.shtml

http://developmental...om/page.cfm/248
Positive IgA-gluten in 2004
Positive IgG-gluten in 2008
Gluten intolerance
Egg allergy

#26 Dennis wayne

Dennis wayne

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 06:21 PM

As I read through this, it keeps making more and more sense....A couple hours after eating gluten the mental symptoms are as follows: social anxiety, slight dizziness, "down" feeling, both wired and tired at the same time, my inner critic gets really super loud...

I tested negative for celiac disease but was dx gluten intolerant and told to eliminate it. I've tested as having extremely low neurotransmitter levels, and have been on high levels of St. John's Wort (herbal serotonin booster) and amino acids to address the deficiency, for over a year. I know this was caused by gluten, because when I go off of gluten, it is like taking a happy pill; in about two days I start to feel "normal" again. And then after about 4 to 5 days I feel like the sun is shining and I finally know what it is like to actually be happy--and not in a constant self-berating, groggy funk. I liken this effect to a garden hose with a kink in it--you remove the gluten, you take the kink out of the hose, and everything flows as it should.

It was a relief to get to stop gluten (I was eating it in anticipation of a possible biopsy and I was totally miserable).

I can identify with every single mental/emotional symptom described here. And I used to be a total wheat freak. It was all or nothing for me. I'd go off of it for a few months, and then a day would come along when I would say, a little bit won't hurt. Sooner or later I had to have it every morning to feel "up." On some level I knew it was making me unwell, mentally.

And you know what I think? I'm no doctor, but for what it is worth: just because medicine doesn't have a test to measure the damage gluten does in some people's brains, does not mean that it isn't every bit as serious as celiac disease. It just happens to manifest in some people as one, or the other, or both.

So, as I understand it from reading the articles I'm linking to below, the theory is that the peptide chains in gluten don't break down in the gut. These large opioid peptides go into the brain, and jam into one's opiate receptors. Much like the toxins in our environment that mimic hormones in our bodies and jam themselves rudely into our hormone receptors, the key fits, but not quite. It is like jamming a square peg into a round hole. This places the "kink in the hose." Gluten comes in, and your own endorphins can't go into your receptors, so maybe your poor little natural endorphins give up and go home or something....And eventually the hypothalamus-pituitary-adrenal axis gets out of whack, and that's when physical effects of all sorts may ensue. Like adrenal fatigue, PMS, sleep problems, so-called emotional problems.

Anyway, here are the articles I found a while ago when I was googling this topic. If you've already seen them, I apologize; if not, I hope they are helpful for someone. I hope there is someday a test to see who has this "brain allergy" (an overly mild term, in my opinion) so that they can avoid all the confusion I had for years.

http://orthomolecula...5n01-p005.shtml

http://developmental...om/page.cfm/248

#27 Dennis wayne

Dennis wayne

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 9 posts

Posted 29 February 2008 - 08:00 PM

it straight up fucks me up... i apologize for being so brash, but the gluten has been making my brain dance like a cat on a hot tin roof for years. some day they will know more about the total overall effects on the brain. i think you are on the right track. you do a lot of soul searchin when 1+2 doesn't equal 3...it has been a large part of defining who i am. now i ( being recently diagnosed ) am looking forward to finding out who i really am. and i think i'm pretty cool...

#28 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,163 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 03:43 AM

"I Hate Everything" Well, that pretty much narrows it down! : :lol: Just kidding! :D

These are interesting theories about gluten and milk proteins affecting the brain chemistry. I know my mental state has changed for the better since going gluten-free, and I know I am negatively affected by slip-ups with gluten. I am starting to wonder about milk too after reading some of the comments and links. Guess I picked a bad week to buy a block of velveeta! But for me 10 years of struggling to cope with "stuff" has been pretty much cleared up by going gluten-free. So maybe I will take the next step and go CF also.

Thanks for the info people, very helpful!
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#29 Glutina

Glutina

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 01 March 2008 - 11:09 AM

Hi!
I DEFINITELY get like this after eating gluten!!!!

And if I have some, I go into withdrawal-ish behaviours (moodiness, irritability, obsessing about having "bad" foods) and then into a depressed kind of state. Weeeeiiiird! I never knew other people experienced this as well!

Also, it seems to be triple the severity if I have glutened candy, ot those with modified corn starch....gummies seem to produce a"high" effect on me. Then, if the candy contains gluten on top of it...I am a mess! :o

Just thought I would share :)

-Glutina
-Recently diagnosed with extreme gluten sensitivity
-Celiac test results: negative
-In and out of hospitals and doctors offices for past 5 years with stomach/digestive issues
-Eating disordered past (this most likely triggered gluten issues G.I. thinks)

Symptoms when glutened: Diah. and Cons.; cramping/uncomfortable abdomen; rash on forehead; extreme fatigue; sometimes excruciating abdominal pain; feeling of weakness; acid reflux

**New to the gluten free way of living, but feeling like my old, healthy self again!!**

#30 huevo_no_bueno

huevo_no_bueno

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 64 posts

Posted 24 April 2008 - 07:13 PM

Dennis Wayne,

I know exactly what you mean. Exactly.....but I can't believe how sometimes it takes hours for me to realize that I've been glutened and it isn't "just me." It isn't me at all. I'm learning that when a packaged rice cracker says, "produced in a facility that also produces wheat.." I can't eat that...
Positive IgA-gluten in 2004
Positive IgG-gluten in 2008
Gluten intolerance
Egg allergy

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: