7 replies to this topic

#1 holdthegluten

holdthegluten

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 06 January 2008 - 05:45 PM

I never ever get hunger pains like i used to. I dont know what it is, but i never get to the point where i feel really hungry, but i just know when i need to it. Does anyone else fell this way. I dont get that rumbling stomach like i used to when i would get hungry. I always feel like my stomach just hurts a little and i get a little anxious and short of breath when i need to eat. Any thoughts please?
28 yr old Male
Diagnosed Celiac in February 2007
Gluten-free/Casein Free
HLA DQ 2,3 Subtype (2,8) I have both celiac genes!
Married
1 child 9 months- Levi

Yeast/Bacteria overgrowth
" CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS AND THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"
Wayne Dyer

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,768 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 02:46 AM

It has been so long since I was actually hungry that I have forgotten what it feels like. In my case I wonder if it was so many years of negative reinforcement with food. Like Pavlov's dog (sp) in reverse. :D I have noticed that the only time my tummy rumbles now is when it gets something it doesn't like. Since food intolerances will make some of us feel constantly hungry it makes me wonder if stomach rumbles are actually more associated with food intolerances than hunger. You feed the growling dog and it just makes it growl worse.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#3 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 05:08 AM

It is very rare that I have hunger pains now. I even eat less than I did (still put on weight though...:( ) I used to get bad hunger pains, some would feel as if I didn't eat for days and I would eat and 30 minutes later the pains would return. It was horrible.
I could probably go without snacking during the day.....but I have too many temptations in my office :)
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#4 bluejeangirl

bluejeangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 07 January 2008 - 01:34 PM

I miss the feeling of being so hungry you could eat a horse. :( I don't know if I'll ever get that back but I'm working on it. I know I have to heal my stomach, well the lining and going down through the intestines. I've just started taking some enzymes (Zypan by Standard Process) and buffered ascorbic acid. The directions say to take 2 but I'm starting off with just one. Hopefully on to two.

The ascorbic acid will help me with it being vit. C a vitamin that helps to heal but also it will add acid to help digest the meal.

IF my stomach starts to hurt with the zymes and C I'm just going to drink alittle baking soda in water to neutralize for the time being. I don't know if this will work I'll see. I really think I need help with digesting foods. Its not good for food to sit in your stomach or intestines. If you stomach acid is low your suseptable to bacteria, overgrowth of yeast, viral illnesses.

Also indigested food that didn't get digested in the stomach goes into the gut and causes all kinds of problems. When the flora is compromised the immune system weakens, destructive bacteria or yeast are not held in check. Then colonies of the harmful organisms can cause dysbiosis.

Without friendly flora the intestinal lining can become malnourished, you don't make vit. B12, and the destructive microbes that produce toxic chemicals will cause tissue damage in the G.I. tract. The barrier gets leaky and all toxins and bacteria can now seep into our bloodstream.

Well I could continue but you get the idea. You might want to check into the thread "candida". I'm going to be joining as well once I get over this cold I have.

Gail
Gluten Free since Jan. 06
Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602
Lactose intolerant.

#5 CMCM

CMCM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 851 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:02 PM

I virtually never get hunger pains any more either, but since in the process of eliminating gluten I also ended up cutting out most sugar and starches as well, I'd say it's more because I don't have the huge insulin fluctuations that you get when you eat grains, sugars and starches (which of course turn into sugar immediately after you chew them up). I'm aware of some hunger in the mornings before I eat breakfast, but after that I just don't ever get hungry.

I'm not sure I care, actually. It's nice not to be driven by stupid hunger all the time. :)
CAROLE

-------------
Enterolab 1/2006
IgA & tTg Positive
DQ2-0201 (celiac) and DQ1-0604 (gluten)
Casein IgA positive
Mom has 2 celiac genes
Both kids have a celiac gene.
Lots of celiac disease in my family, both sides.

#6 Lemonsieur

Lemonsieur

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 20 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 06:34 AM

Nope you're not the only one. I used to get bad hunger pains followed by the shakes and irritability, followed by headache or migraine. That was if i didn't eat every 2-3 hours or so. I can now go 4-6 hours between meals, and I don't ever get that severe hunger I used to have. I don't miss it!

#7 bluejeangirl

bluejeangirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 480 posts

Posted 09 January 2008 - 09:21 AM

Nope you're not the only one. I used to get bad hunger pains followed by the shakes and irritability, followed by headache or migraine. That was if i didn't eat every 2-3 hours or so. I can now go 4-6 hours between meals, and I don't ever get that severe hunger I used to have. I don't miss it!

That is true...I forgot about those feelings. Much worse then feeling like I do now. I don't hardly eat any grains now. I don't have carrots or potatoes or legumes for that matter. Its no wonder I'm never hungry. I do get cravings though. Like warm choclate chip cookies out of the oven. If I do make them I'll eat so many I usually can't eat supper. :rolleyes:

Gail
Gluten Free since Jan. 06
Gluten intolerant. DQ 0301 DQ 0602
Lactose intolerant.

#8 VioletBlue

VioletBlue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 01:30 PM

I am the same way. I suffered from hypoglycemia prior to diagnosis. That was what brought on the shakes for me. I have read that it is somewhat common in untreated Celiacs. I also had days where I was always hungry, and when hunger pangs would hit it was such an urgent need I couldn't do much of anything else until I ate.

Now when I actually feel hunger is not as intense an experience and I can actually ignore it and continue with what I was doing. There have been days when I just haven't noticed that I'm hungry and have gone eight hours without eating.

"My mother always told me, it's okay to play with a man's mind
as long as you put it back where you got it when you're done with it."

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: