This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Rice Cakes

stef-the-kicking-cuty

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

Hi to all,

i tried something now, that one co-worker of my husband said he had done. This co-worker is a celiac, too. Put your rice cake in your toaster. I know, it says on the package not to do it. But if you put the toaster on low and watch it the whole time, so you could take it out, before it goes black, not much should happen. The result is much better than this untasty rice bread. Me for my part i couldn't see it anymore <_< . It's very yummy :P . I put some breadspread on it that i like. Sometimes plain old country crock, Nutella, liverwurst or cheese. Hmmm!!! Can't get enough.

Enjoy!

Stef

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

dbuhl79 Contributor

Stef,

What brand of rice cakes do you use for this? Sounds good! I might actually have to break out the toaster again!

tom Contributor

GET A BREADMACHINE !!

ENJOY BREAD AGAIN !!

gluten-free bread actually comes out so good that non-celiacs are happy to eat it and won't even KNOW it's gluten-free if u don't tell them.

stef-the-kicking-cuty Enthusiast

I use the Quaker's rice cakes. They are very yummy. They also taste "untoasted". But toasted they're much better.

And @ tom: I don't buy a bread machine, because i get one for christmas ;) and then head first in all the breads. Yippie!!! :D Praise to all good mother-in-laws. :lol: Well, i guess she just spoils me, because my parents live on another continent :lol: and she anyway enjoyes having the daughter she never had :P Couple of days ago my father-in-law made a comment about her, because she spoils me so much and buys a lot of stuff for me. She replied, she will enjoy it even more, when there will be three to buy for. Well, as for right now, there's no baby on the way yet. But soon... :rolleyes:

Stef

terri Contributor

I eat Lundberg's rice cakes. They are much heavier than quaker and are delicious! I too, make my ricewiches, with mayo, coldcuts, tomato and melt cheese on the top. Beats a rice bread sandwich any day! The Lundberg rice cakes do have 70 calories, compared to Quakers 35, but they are nice good healthy calories. They have flavors like Wild rice, brown rice, honey nut, and so on. So you're getting some fiber in there too. Enjoy! :)

pixiegirl Enthusiast

Are both kinds gluten-free, both the Lundenburg and Quaker...

Susan

tarnalberry Community Regular

I know the Lundberg Farms ones are - everything they make with the exception of a couple of seasoned rice mixes is gluten-free - and Quaker has said that theirs are (most flavors, I think - someone correct me on this one?), but there's a risk of cross contamination that a few people have written about on the board.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

celiac3270 Collaborator

What "flavor" of rice cakes do you use?--i don't know if there's a plain, cause i've always had a flavored rice cake.

celiac3270 Collaborator

Oh, Tiffany, with the Quaker rice cakes I THINK that all of the large ones are gluten-free....and the minis are problematic.....I haven't had them in months, though, so i can't remember the full list

• 3 weeks later...
GFGAL Newbie

Real Foods are the BEST!! They are "corn thins" and are wonderful for a tuna melt, PB & J, a slice of cheese or just to munch on. They also say not to put them in the toaster, but I haven't had any problems. They aren't available everywhere, but healthfood stores are more likely to have them. Go to www.realfoods.com to see where you can get them.

Linda74 Rookie

Stef.

Thanks for the tip! Have been having PB&J and butter and really enjoying it!

Even my nonceliac husband is eating them!

Linda

KarenCM Rookie

I love the Real Foods Corn Thins too. They are great anytime with or without toppings.

Karen

darlindeb25 Collaborator
;) Quaker Crackerjack original corncakes are a staple of my diet--DONT BUY THE BUTTER TOFFEE ONES, THEY CONTAIN BARLEY--and the caramel corncakes are ok too--they are the only 2 that i will eat so i cant answer on the others--deb
traci Apprentice

WELL CRAP!!!! :angry: I just ate a couple of the butter toffee.. nothing no reaction... but if they have barley, out they go. How come it does NOT say barley on it??? It says nothing about it. And it says contains Milk and Soy and may contain peanuts. They can say that but not mention the stupid barley? Gonna start eating carrots and water soon.

Thanks for the ideas.. I am not fan of ANY bread I have made. Manna from Anna is the best... but you still cannot just slice it and eat it. I so miss my sandwiches.. But you see I hated even multi grain bread in my gluten in my days.. I liked soft white bread. :(

Guest barbara3675

The Quaker mini apple cinnimon rice cakes are gluten and casein free, but almost addictive. They are hard to stop eating, I swear. Several of the flavored rice cakes have casein, but these don't. However, check the ingredients.....sugar is the first on listed for the apple cinnamon ones!!!!!!!!! They are still relatively low in calories if you can stop eating them at some sensible time. I miss sandwiches too and good french bread. I have a bread mix here and have never even tried it, but I think I may just give it a try. I don't have a bread machine, so it will be by hand....have been making do with rice/almond and rice/pecan breads from the store which you pretty much have to toast because they are so heavy. They do make good garlic toast with spaghetti, though with lots of butter and garlic. I like corn spaghetti as it keeps it shape just like wheat as opposed to rice spaghetti which tends to get mushy. I make my own sauce with Contadina tomato products cooking slowly and you just can't tell the pasta is any different with a good sauce on it.

Barbara

darlindeb25 Collaborator
;) sorry traci--my butter toffee said it contained barley--maybe they dont have barley now--sorry deb
  • 4 years later...
nkherczeg Newbie

My mom just bought me some ACME brand rice cakes, Caramel corn and Pop Corn Flavor. I tried the Caramel and they are pretty good. No reaction thus far. They are the big ones. They don't have gluten free on the package and they say that they are processed in a plant that also processes soy and nuts. But again, no reaction thus far. Is this a good sign that they are gluten-free?

By the Way, my info:

Celiac or Gluten-intolerant by self diagnosis

elimination diet

Going for blood tests within next month.

I am just self diagnosis until I can get actual diagnosis

then I will post results in signature line

Archived