This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Recipe Substitutes For Turnovers?

Guest Rosany

Guest Rosany

Good evening ladies and gents,

I have a recipe for a glutened turnover pastry and I would like to know how I can tweek it to be Gluten free. I use it to make empanadas and it is my sons favorite dish. It is also kind of my thing...Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks ladies/gents and have a great night.

Recipe:

3 1/3 cups all purpose flour

1 tablespoon salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

3 1/2 tablespoon shortening, chilled

1 egg - well beaten

3/4 cup cold water

oil for frying

Hugs Hugs,

Rosa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

carriekate Rookie

I have a recipe for a glutened turnover pastry and I would like to know how I can tweek it to be Gluten free. I use it to make empanadas and it is my sons favorite dish. It is also kind of my thing...Does anyone have any suggestions? Thanks ladies/gents and have a great night.

Recipe:

1 tablespoon salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 egg - well beaten

3/4 cup cold water

oil for frying

Hugs Hugs,

Rosa

Here is a gluten-free blog website with a crescent roll recipe that is adaptable for turnovers. Hope this helps.

www.glutenfree.wordpress.com

Julie

Takala Enthusiast

I have not tried this recipe but it might be an acceptable substitute, or could at least give you a framework for experimenting. It uses a packet of Chebe Pizza Mix, which is a tapioca flour based mix, with the addition of coconut oil and milk, some spices, and an egg. It is mixed, rolled out, filled with meat mix, and baked instead of fried. The cheese which is normally added to Chebe mix is left out. The tapioca flour would give it the elasticity to be a dough.

Open Original Shared Link

Here is a page of Chebe mix recipes:

Open Original Shared Link

If you were going to alter your recipe by using a gluten free flour mix, you would want to use one which contained some tapioca flour for elasticity and some cornstarch for crispiness, maybe some other flours for taste, plus the addition of xanthan gum, anywhere from 1/2 teaspoon to 1 teaspoon per cup of flour. You also would add some gluten-free vinegar, maybe a teaspoon, as a "dough conditioner" to make the mix more acidic so the baking powder would work better. I haven't tried deep frying gluten free dough so I don't know what would happen.

Here is a basic Gluten Free Flour mix, by proportions

1/3 Tapioca flour (this is the same as Tapioca starch)

1/3 Corn starch

1/3 other flours, such as a half and half mixture of sweet sorghum and garbanzo bean flour.

This is about the same as Bette Hagman's "4 bean flour mix" but that has a tablespoon of potato flour added, which is not crucial. A small amount of sorghum flour adds taste (you could use a different flour here) and the bean flour does something else texture wise. Some people with more sensitve taste buds don't like bean flour but this varies from individual to individual.

GRUMP 1 Contributor
Here is a gluten-free blog website with a crescent roll recipe that is adaptable for turnovers. Hope this helps.

www.glutenfree.wordpress.com

Julie

Julie or some one can you help me. I went to the site posted here. I saw a post on there from ksmommy about French Bread posted 01/09/08. She says is fast and easy. But I cant seem to find the recipe on it. Can some one please help me and post it on here if you have it.

Thank you,

Grump

mamaw Community Regular

Here you go:

Crescent Rolls

1/2 stick butter (room temp)

3/4 cup small curd cottage cheese

1 cup gluten-free flour mix

1 tsp. xanthan gum

1/8 tsp salt

1/4 tsp. cream of tartar

1/2 tsp baking soda

1 tbsp sugar

Combine butter,& cottage cheese in you rmixer bowl. Add dry ingredients. Mix until a ball of dough forms.

Wrap in plastic wrap for several hours.

Preheat oven to 350.

On slightly floured parchment paper , roll dough into a 14 inch circle. Cut into 8 triangles ( use a pizza cutter)

Roll each

rectangle from wide end to tip, turning ends to form a crescent shape.

Place on a lined parchment cookie sheet & bake 20 to 30 minutes.

bakingbarb Enthusiast

Recipe:

1 tablespoon salt

1 teaspoon baking powder

1 egg - well beaten

3/4 cup cold water

oil for frying

Hugs Hugs,

Rosa

I would use your recipe, sub the flour with any flour blend you like and add 2 to 3 tsp. xanthan gum. This is similar to making pie crust and it works the same.

Guest Rosany

Dear Ladies and Gents,

I really appreciate your responses and suggestions. I will be trying some next week. Thank your so much for taking the time to help me. You are all very sweet. Will let you know how they turn out...YUM

Hugs Hugs,

Rosa

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived