47 replies to this topic

#1 horsegirl

horsegirl

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 11:17 AM

I feel like I'm always freezing cold, deep inside my body, even when others say it's comfortable or they're even hot. I dress in layers, drink warm beverages, snuggle under blankets, etc but I'm cold probably about 90+% of the time. This past summer I wasn't cold all the time, but still got cold much faster than I ever used to. I've always been sensitive to the heat too, & feel like I get overheated quickly in the summertime.

My thyroid has been checked several times (most recently about 3 months ago) & it's all fine.
I'm not anemic (low normal lab values), my hormones have checked out OK, & other labs are OK too.
My vitamin D levels are low, so I'm taking supplements.
My triglycerides are very low, but the doctor's not worried about that.

Could this be related to recovery from gluten intolerance? Could it be from the fibromyalgia?
I just want some possible solutions, because it's miserable to be cold all the time. Even at night, with
flannel or fleece P.J.s on, then flannel sheets, blanket, quilt, & another blanket, I'm still cold much of the time.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
BRRR!
Diagnosed Fibromyalgia & osteoarthritis in multiple joints 12/06

Diagnosed gluten intolerant through dietary trials 8/07
Enterolab positive for gluten, casein, soy, egg
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 6,6)

Gluten free 8/10/07
Casein free 8/27/07
Soy & egg free 9/8/07
Eggs back again (whoo hoo!) 11/08

Diagnosed chronic fatigue syndrome 12/09
Starting various supplements/vitamins in hopes of feeling better!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 mamaw

mamaw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,030 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:23 PM

I have no answers but I get that & have thyroid problems & raynauld's... Do you get the free T-3 Checked ? Most doctors do not check that for the thyroid. Do you check your pulse & temp. when you awake in the morning? Just some suggestions. Iblame mine on my health issues

mamaw

#3 skyepie

skyepie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 28 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 01:30 PM

I'm with you on the always being cold!!!! Most days I shut my office door at work and crank my space heater. It gets up to 87* in my office and I'm still shivering. Everyone gives me grief about the "sauna room" I work in. I blame it on my anorexia - yeah, I'm an overweight celiac, but that joke usually gets people to stop giving me crap about being cold. Or else it causes an awkward silence.

When I was in high school my mom suspected that she and I have Raynaud's, though we never had it diagnosed officially. But I was able to get excused from outdoor PE in the winter. (I live in MN.)

I sleep with my electric blanket cranked to 10, my hubby never turns his on. Sometimes I wear mittens in my house.
Tummy troubles began in early 2005.
Misdiagnosed with IBS in May 2006, meds didn't work.
June 2007 IgA results 137.8, MD said "normal" is <20. Gluten intolerant.
7/2/07 endoscopy indicated Celiac Sprue. Gluten free since that day.

#4 HAK1031

HAK1031

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 364 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:14 PM

yep! I'm always cold. my mom has raynaud's and I suspect I do too. PS-horsegirl if that fresian in the picture is yours I'm jealous :P
Gluten Free since 10/07
Mildly Lactose Intolerant, slight intestinal symptoms after eating milk products, but easily corrected with lactase enzyme
Endometriosis- DX'd 5/07

Gluten Antibodies- "negative"...don't know exact numbers, am highly suspicious...
DXed celiac 12-19-07 via genetics/elimination diet- DQ2 allele

Brother with Celiac, aspergers...his tests were all negative (he didn't have genetics done), including endoscopy, but he definitely is at the least gluten intolerant...highly suspect my mother has it as well- she has hyperthyroid, fibromyalgia, hemochromatosis, and now colon cancer, and she has been weak and exhausted and just generally sick. She's going to get tested.

#5 MrMark

MrMark

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 02:33 PM

I feel like I'm always freezing cold, deep inside my body, even when others say it's comfortable or they're even hot...

I'm often very cold too. I never used to be that way until I went gluten free.

#6 evie

evie

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 322 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:13 PM

I feel like I'm always freezing cold, deep inside my body, even when others say it's comfortable or they're even hot. I dress in layers, drink warm beverages, snuggle under blankets, etc but I'm cold probably about 90+% of the time. This past summer I wasn't cold all the time, but still got cold much faster than I ever used to. I've always been sensitive to the heat too, & feel like I get overheated quickly in the summertime.

My thyroid has been checked several times (most recently about 3 months ago) & it's all fine.
I'm not anemic (low normal lab values), my hormones have checked out OK, & other labs are OK too.
My vitamin D levels are low, so I'm taking supplements.
My triglycerides are very low, but the doctor's not worried about that.

Could this be related to recovery from gluten intolerance? Could it be from the fibromyalgia?
I just want some possible solutions, because it's miserable to be cold all the time. Even at night, with
flannel or fleece P.J.s on, then flannel sheets, blanket, quilt, & another blanket, I'm still cold much of the time.

Any suggestions?
Thanks!
BRRR!

Have you tried wearing socks to bed? I have the same problem of needing extra heat and clothing, has been worse since I was diagnosed 2 yrs ago. my heart rate is quite low, Dr. says could be from some of my neccessary meds...hope you are better soon...evie :( :)

#7 sickchick

sickchick

but you don't look sick.

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,137 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:38 PM

I too am always freezing, and my thyroid tests were normal. My fingers & toes turn white too I am pretty positive I have Reynaud's.
Collette

Positive Bloodwork Oct 1st 2007. Gluten-free 3 YEARS Oct 1st!
Dairy & Soy free since Dec 1st 2007.
Potato free since January 3rd 2008.
Remaining Nightshades since April 1st 2008. Back on September 2010. :)
Developed Rice & Tapioca & Corn Intolerances...
NO Carageenan.

In a constant state of evolution... sending love! :)

#8 JustMe75

JustMe75

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:39 PM

I am cold all the time too and I thought it was my thyroid but my doctor ran the tests and they are "perfect". Has anyone found out they had a thyroid problem after their blood tests were within range? Is there anything else they can test? My TSH was 1.39 (smack in the middle of range) and they did something else called 3rd generation w/ reflex to FT4 that was within range as well. I am so cold I sleep in flanel pjs, socks and a heated blanket and when I took my basal temp every morning it was from 96.4-97.9. I also have like 9 outa 10 symptoms for hypothyroidism, but doc says can't be it.

Oh and he said I'm not anemic. My hemoglobin was 14.6 (range=11.7-15.5) doc says very high for a menstrating woman.

#9 wolfie

wolfie

Kim

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 752 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 03:55 PM

I am always cold as well. I also get the white toes, sometimes for no reason. I often wear multiple layers topped off with a fleece jacket in the winter. I always bring a sweatshirt or jacket whereever I go in the summer. My thyroid is normal. Iron stores were a bit on the low normal side. When I do get hot though, I seem to overheat quickly.
Kim

"Life isn't about how to survive the storm
but how to dance in the rain."

Positive bloodwork 1/9/06
gluten-free since 1/12/06
Very positive dietary response

DS (12 years old)
Biopsy 7/7/06 ~ Diagnosed Celiac 7/12/2006
gluten-free since 7/15/2006

DD (almost 6)
HLA-DQ2 positive
Celiac Bloodwork negative 2 different times
Still eating gluten for now.

#10 confusedks

confusedks

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 05:15 PM

For everyone who has had their hemoglobin checked...what about other numbers? That's not the only way to diagnose anemia. You can be iron defieient also. My regular dr. told me I wasn't anemic for months, until I went to a Hematologist and he told me I was "deathly" anemic because I was severely ferritin (and other things) deficient. I was also very cold.
Dairy/Casein Free- March 2007
Gluten Free- May 2007
Soy Free- August 2007
Sugar Free- January 2008
Starch Free- January 2008
Egg Free (again!)- February 2008
Sulfur Free- May 2008

Dx'd Lyme Disease and co-infections- December 2007

#11 JustMe75

JustMe75

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 134 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:43 PM

For everyone who has had their hemoglobin checked...what about other numbers? That's not the only way to diagnose anemia. You can be iron defieient also. My regular dr. told me I wasn't anemic for months, until I went to a Hematologist and he told me I was "deathly" anemic because I was severely ferritin (and other things) deficient. I was also very cold.

I was wondering about that. I don't see ferritin on my lab results. They tested for a ton of things that I don't know what they are, but I don't see ferritin. Also, what would the results say if they checked my calcium and B vitamin levels, do you know? How'd you get to a hematologist? Did you have other symptoms?

#12 Glutenfreefamily

Glutenfreefamily

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 484 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 07:56 PM

What is your diet like? Im a vegetarian with a few cheats during a year. I notice if I eat mostly cold foods that I stay cold. I believe my thyroids fine last time I checked.

#13 confusedks

confusedks

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,743 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 08:17 PM

I was wondering about that. I don't see ferritin on my lab results. They tested for a ton of things that I don't know what they are, but I don't see ferritin. Also, what would the results say if they checked my calcium and B vitamin levels, do you know? How'd you get to a hematologist? Did you have other symptoms?

Both calcium and vitamin B levels will have a number (your result) and a reference range. I have no idea what the ranges are beause they are different with every lab.

Ferritin often gets overlooked, but for me it caused a lot of problems. I had a huge blood loss and my hemoglobin along with every other iron number got realllly low. My ferritin was at zero, that is unheard of! It was NOT good. I had to have Iron IV's because no amount of iron pill could do anything to a number that low.

Then, 6 months went by and I had a normal hemoglobin, but low everything else. That is iron deficiency, NOT anemia. I had iron IV's again (this was about 3 weeks ago). I go back to the Hematologist on Friday to see if they "took" or not and whether I need more or not.

My symptoms were EXTREME fatigue and I was cold all the time, but only when I had low hemoglobin. I also get severly pale, like I look dead. LOL! My Dr's can even tell when my numbers are low because I'm so pale...and I'm not a pale person usually.

I went to a Hematologist because like I said, no amount of oral iron could get my numbers up. My PCP suggested one and I got in I think the next day because it was urgent.

If you have any more ?'s feel free to PM me. :)
Dairy/Casein Free- March 2007
Gluten Free- May 2007
Soy Free- August 2007
Sugar Free- January 2008
Starch Free- January 2008
Egg Free (again!)- February 2008
Sulfur Free- May 2008

Dx'd Lyme Disease and co-infections- December 2007

#14 sneezydiva

sneezydiva

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 157 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 09:34 PM

I'm completely the opposite. I used to always be hot. When I was a kid, my mom had to cut the feet off my feetie pajamas, because I always complained of being hot and my feet sweating.

About a year or two ago, when my chronic feeling ill and tired was at its worst, I started feeling cold all the time. Wearing socks to bed, lots of blankets, etc.

Since going gluten-free, I'm gradually warming back up. Still need to wear socks to bed, but the thermostat has been much lower this winter.
Celiac blood testing negative July 2007
Confirmed diagnosis of wheat allergy by skin test Dec 2007
Gluten-lite since July 2007 (didn't know all the hidden sources of gluten)
Gluten-free since December 2007

Life Long Symptoms
Extreme fatigue--needing 10-12 hours of sleep and still woke up exhusted
Allergic to everything--allergies remained out of control despite shots and strict enviornmental controls in my home.
Severe "sinus" headaches

More Recent Symptoms
IBS symptoms
Severe stabbing stomach pains that started 6 months before diagnosis of wheat allergy.

In my heart I feel it is more than an allergy and that I am gluten intolerant. This is based on my how eerily my childhood maladies match most celiac's histories, and my more recent increase in the severity of my usual symptoms and new digestive symptoms that have already started to subside on the gluten-free diet.

#15 horsegirl

horsegirl

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 188 posts

Posted 08 January 2008 - 10:02 PM

Thanks for all of the responses, everyone! I guess I need to pull out my lab results again & pour
over them more thoroughly to find out about ferritin & part of the thyroid function too.
I've caught a few "low normal" or slightly below-normal values before, but my doctor always
says they're "fine" & not to worry about them.

I haven't checked my temp in the morning ever before; maybe I'll try that.
Do I just use our ear thermometer? My mom has always run at least 2 degrees below
normal, & I'm usually low normal too. Plus I generally have low blood pressure, & my
blood sugars run about at the bottom of normal.

I don't think I have Reynaud's, because I don't get the ghostly white fingers/toes, or blue either.

I used to be hot all the time, when I was younger too. Then, I lost about 65# through Weight
Watchers (over 1 1/2 years, very slow & safe) & ever since then, I've been freezing. People told
me it's because I was used to all the extra fat on my body, but it's been over a year since I finished
the weight loss, & I'm still cold all the time. Not too bad a thing in summer, but terrible in winter!

I'll check out my labs & see if there's anything I missed.
Thanks again!
Diagnosed Fibromyalgia & osteoarthritis in multiple joints 12/06

Diagnosed gluten intolerant through dietary trials 8/07
Enterolab positive for gluten, casein, soy, egg
Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 1,1 (Subtype 6,6)

Gluten free 8/10/07
Casein free 8/27/07
Soy & egg free 9/8/07
Eggs back again (whoo hoo!) 11/08

Diagnosed chronic fatigue syndrome 12/09
Starting various supplements/vitamins in hopes of feeling better!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: