42 replies to this topic

#16 Lisa

Lisa

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,799 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 04:48 PM

I had purchased the Triumph Dining Trio and out of the the three products I found the laminated restaurant cards to be really useful. They have the language of the cuisine you're eating on one side and then they have it in English on the other. How long have you been gluten free?

Loey

P.S. I read that the FDA doesn't acknowledge barley, oats and rye as gluten so some companies can be saying something is gluten free when it's not.

Hi Loey! And Welcome to the Forum!!!!

This list was not compiled by me, but someone else. And as GFinDC mentioned, it is not a reliable listing because it is dated (2008). Ingredients change frequently and the best was to keep yourself safe is to become an expert label reader.

Your Triumph Grocery guide is super in the beginning, but as I said, learning to read labels is the key. The dining cards will also help you in foreign restaurants where language is an issue.

Sounds like gluten is finding it's way in somewhere,as result of your tests indicate.

By law barley, malt, rye do not need to be declared. And also, a standard had not been set in the US for guidelines, in which companies can claim that their products are gluten free. It is voluntary at this point, without the law to back it up.

There is a list of companies who will always disclose all forms of gluten and I will post that. Many of us like to support those companies:

http://glutenfreeins...statements.html

It takes time to learn the ins and outs. But stick with this forum and you'll be an expert in no time. :)
Lisa

Gluten Free - August 15, 2004

"Not all who wander are lost" - JRR Tolkien

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 07:16 PM

Hi Loey! And Welcome to the Forum!!!!

This list was not compiled by me, but someone else. And as GFinDC mentioned, it is not a reliable listing because it is dated (2008). Ingredients change frequently and the best was to keep yourself safe is to become an expert label reader.

Your Triumph Grocery guide is super in the beginning, but as I said, learning to read labels is the key. The dining cards will also help you in foreign restaurants where language is an issue.

Sounds like gluten is finding it's way in somewhere,as result of your tests indicate.

By law barley, malt, rye do not need to be declared. And also, a standard had not been set in the US for guidelines, in which companies can claim that their products are gluten free. It is voluntary at this point, without the law to back it up.

There is a list of companies who will always disclose all forms of gluten and I will post that. Many of us like to support those companies:

http://glutenfreeins...statements.html

It takes time to learn the ins and outs. But stick with this forum and you'll be an expert in no time. :)

Hi Lisa,

Thank you for your welcome, sharing your knowledge and the link. Initially I was just sticking to basics. I think when I first moved, because I was feeling so well, I wasn't as cautious as I should have been. I may not have recognized some of my trigger foods or those additives that I don't know the meaning of and should just stay away from. Tomorrow I start a 4 week course of prednisone (I wean down tablet a week - I know a lot of people are opposed to the drug) which I hope will help with this really painful flare. I'll be playing detective and also feel confident Ill learn a lot from this site. It's good not to feel alone. Posted Image I will definitely check out the link you posted.

Loey

#18 GFinDC

GFinDC

A little farting never hurt anybody... :-).

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 09 October 2010 - 08:50 PM

Thanks for the reply and warm welcome!

I was only diagnosed in the spring, started feeling well a few weeks after eliminating gluten and then had a major setback about three weeks ago. My G.I. in NJ thought I had it for a very long time and was surprised I hadn't been diagnosed earlier. I moved to another state the day after she told me my test results. I took my son in to be genetically tested by my new G.I. in before he left for college (phew, he doesn't have it) and the new doctor felt I was all right. When I saw him yesterday he told me that my blood work showed high markers (is that the correct term) for gluten (even though I've been following it religiously). I'm taking a proactive approach and told him I felt I should have the capsule endoscopy. I'm going for it in two weeks. Right now I'm playing detective. It's hard to be sick in a new state where I don't know anyone. I can't wait to feel better so I can look for a teaching job. I'm an optimist and I think this forum is going to be really helpful. I'm also a resource geek (I wanted to be a librarian before I went back to Grad School for teaching) so hopefully I'll be able to give back as much as I get.

I had purchased the Triumph Dining Trio and out of the the three products I found the laminated restaurant cards to be really useful. They have the language of the cuisine you're eating on one side and then they have it in English on the other. How long have you been gluten free?

Loey

P.S. I read that the FDA doesn't acknowledge barley, oats and rye as gluten so some companies can be saying something is gluten free when it's not.

Hi loey,

I went deep into the gluten-free world shortly after Thanksgiving 2007. Duhn duhn duh. Sorry, watching a silly spooky movie now. Anyway, my first 2 years were a rollercoaster ride of feeling better sometmes and worse more times. I was happy when I got to where I felt better for 5 days in a row. That was a neat trick. Anyway, I had lots to learn and took the slow road to do the learning part. I eventually got to where I hardly ever eat at restaraunts, and I make all my meals at home from scratch, using whole ingredients. I found several additional food intolerances along the way that were making me feel almost as bad as the gluten did. Not as bad, but defintely not well, and almost as miserable as this silly movie. Duhn duhn duh!

But, after eliminating my other food intolerances I find myself feeling almost like a human being sometimes. Kinda nice that. Anyway, dairy, soy, nightshades, carrots, turnips, garbanzo beans, them things in my sig are what get me. Others have other intolerances like eggs, corn, rice etc.

There are some processed foods I can eat ok. Like Enjoy Life brand brown rice wraps, Mission corn tortillas, Planters peanuts, Pepsi (regular not diet), Food for Life gluten-free bread, Baker's Secret 100% cocao unsweetened chocolate squares, True North nut clusters, some Frito Lay NUT HARVESTŪ Nut & Fruit Mix, Tempt Hemp Milk, most wines except Franzia, absinthe (any kind so far), Lundberg rice cakes, Knorr bullion cubes, natural style peanut butters (soy-free), Food Should Taste Good brand gluten-free chips.

Well, it is different for different people, we each have our individual row to how as they say. Ok, the scary movie over now. The bad guys are defeated and the good guys won!

You are right about labeling. Like Lisa said though, some companies voluntarily label products. But there is no law about it yet in the USA. Liking to do research is a good thing. There is plenty to learn. If you search for a product name and add gluten you can find lots of info that way. Also try "celiac related condition" or "associated condition". For soy try "infant thyroid soy", or "rat intestine soy". Of course soy is a ripe field for researching negatives, there is also the hormonal tie in.

Anyway, welcome again, and hang around and ask questions. We like to help!
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#19 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:13 AM

Hi GFinDC,

Thank you so much forthe informative reply. My new doctor acted as if I was not following the basicgluten free diet when I knew I was and then I realized I had to be my owndetective and look for trigger foods. Do you know how the elimination dietworks? I think you eliminate one food at a time. My breakfast today didn't sitwell. I would hate to have to eliminate eggs and am hoping the canola oil inthe mayonnaise I used (egg salad) was the culprit. For now I'm going to go backto a very strict regimen. I was able to tolerate a lot ofgluten-free foods for the two months following my diagnosis. I love (and havebeen eating) a lot of foods on your trigger list and will try to eliminatethem. Hopefully I will be able to tolerate some of them.

We had recently moved toa new state and my old G.I. wanted me to have the capsule endoscopy when Ifound a new G.I. She felt that this had gone undiagnosed for a long time andwanted to make sure there was no organ damage. My new doctor didn't think thatwas necessary because I was doing well when I brought my son in for genetictesting (in August). I was diagnosed in June - moved the day after I got mytest results and slowly improved before seeing him - two and a half months).Then I started going downhill. When I saw him this week he told me my bloodwork showed high levels of gluten and there was gluten in something I waseating (as I mentioned above). I decided to be proactive and told him I wantedthe capsule endoscopy. It's scheduled pending authorization from my insurance.In the mean time he put me on a 4 wk course of prednisone (weaning down aweekly dose - starting at a week of 40 mg tablet a day for a week, then 30 aday for a week, etc). I've taken prednisone for respiratory problems in the pastand haven't had bad side effects. I need to feel better for next Saturday. We have reallygood seats at the Roger Water's The Wall concert and it will be the first timewe see our son since he left for college at the end of August. I'm hoping acombination of the prednisone and eliminating more foods from my diet will helpme do that. Even if it's jut for a day. I also want and need to be able tostart looking for a job but right now it's not possible. As a teacher I'll beable to start out by subbing and not take a job if it's a bad day but right nowI haven't felt well enough to submit the paperwork.

This recent flare hasreally made me homesick. Close friends in our neighborhood had two familymembers suffering from Celiac and I could always walk over for a chat and whenthey had us for dinner it was home cooked and gluten free. We email but it wasnice having them around the corner. I had lived there for 20 years and in NJ myentire life.

I'm sorry if this replyis long. I feel a connection to this forum and I think I need that right now.I'm a very positive person and don't want the Celiac to change that. I am goingto look into the Celiac Support Group in my state and see when and where theymeet. Right now driving too far can be an issue.

BTW, my hubby and I arebig fans of horror movies. What were you watching when you posted? We went tosee Let Me In last weekend. Really enjoyed it but felt that theoriginal was better. We also like subtle horror. After watching the entire runof Lost on Netflix we decidedto revisit The Stepfather withTerry O'Quinn. Right now we'rewatching Heroes and on theweekends we either go to the movies or watch something from Netflix. Dealingwith empty nest syndrome on top of moving and Celiac. I have to admit to coveringmy eyes during parts of some of the horror movies we watch but the sound getsme. He was trying to get me to watch Drag Me To ... (not sure of posting rules with language yet).

Thanks again for you support and for lending your ear.

Loey Posted Image

#20 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 10 October 2010 - 09:21 AM

Hi Britt26,

That's why GFinDC's post was a great cautionary P.S. to the list of foods that was compiled. We all need to read the labels carefully and become our own detectives. I'm also learning that all foods that are legitimately gluten free can still trigger an attack for me. I hope this Forum helps you as much as it has helped me in the few short days that I've been here.

Loey

P.S. You've actually been a member longer than I have Posted Image

#21 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 03:29 PM

Hi Loey,

The elimination diets have about as many variants as there are people doing them. Eliminating one food at a time is not going to work well unless you already know that one food is bothering you. In which case why would you be eating it anyway, eh? :-) The way I do them, and it's not the only way, is to pare down to five foods for a week. And then add one new food every 3 days. With this approach, if you are still sick after the first week, then you know it is one of those 5 foods. So you would rotate out one of those 5 foods with something else for 3 days until you got to a stable place. Then you could add one food every 3 days.

The thing is to pick a good starting list of 5 foods that you can tolerate for a week. Pick foods that you believe are safe for you to eat. I am talking about whole foods only, no processed foods at all. So a possible starting list would be rice, apples, parsley, chicken, salt and pepper. Salt and pepper are not often triggers foods though. You want to check out the top 8 food allergens and avoid any of them.

Mayo Clinic lists these top 8:

http://www.mayoclini...lergies/AA00057

* Milk
* Eggs
* Peanuts
* Tree nuts (such as almonds, cashews, walnuts)
* Fish (such as bass, cod, flounder)
* Shellfish (such as crab, lobster, shrimp)
* Soy
* Wheat

None of these should be in your starting list of 5 foods.

You would want to consider grains as possible category of trigger foods. For instance some people react to corn and rice or other non-gluten grains. So although rice is in the list I suggested, it might not work for you. You could do some other non-gluten grain instead.

Nightshades are another group of foods that cause reactions in some of us. Tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and eggplant are some common nightshades that cause problems for some people.

Some people avoid lectins, I don't know much about them though.

When doing an elimination diet, everything counts. That includes vitamins and medicines you are taking and drinks like coffee, tea, soda, wine, etc. So, if you wanted to add these things you would treat them just like a food and add once every 3 days, or every 4th day. Some people suggest adding a new food every 5 days or a week. If you have obvious reactions once every 3 days is probably going to work. If you have slower less obvious reactions then a longer time is probably better. If you are on prednisone then it would be one of the 5 food items for your starting diet.

So, this is not a hard process really, though it can get a little boring at first. But the idea is to simplify your diet to the point where you can recognize what is bothering you. It would be a good idea to do a food diary each day listing how you felt and what you ate.

You really are in control of what goes into your body, so with this process you can detect what the problem food/drink/other is and eliminate it. When a person is eating 50 or 60 food ingredients or more each week it can be pretty dang hard to figure out which is causing a problem. With most processed foods of course there are often multiple ingredients some of which are not even food but are chemicals or colorings to make it look edible. This process also eliminates all those additives that could also cause problems for some of us.

The movie I was watching wasn't all that scary. It is called "The Other Side" and I was watching it on HULU. I did see another one that was called "The Discovery of Heaven" that was ok, not scary but interesting in it's own way. I have gotten kind of hooked on Hulu's science fiction channel. you might like "LEXX" on HULU, kind of fun for Halloweeen.

The celiac groups can be real nice. We have a couple here in DC that have regular meetings and often have free samples of gluten-free foods. The CSA has local chapters and others do too but I forget which ones.
Proverbs 25:16 "Hast thou found honey? eat so much as is sufficient for thee, lest thou be filled therewith, and vomit it."
Job 30:27 My bowels boiled, and rested not: the days of affliction prevented me.
Thyroid cyst and nodules, Lactose / casein intolerant. Diet positive, gene test pos, symptoms confirmed by Dr-head. My current bad list is: gluten, dairy, sulfites, coffee (the devil's brew), tea, Bug's Bunnies carrots, garbanzo beans of pain, soy- no joy, terrible turnips, tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and hard work. have a good day! :-) Paul

#22 MelindaLee

MelindaLee

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 12 October 2010 - 04:58 PM

Thank you for your list. I'm pretty new at all this. Went gluten free in Sept 2007. Didn't know about the Lay's Stax chips. I live in East Texas and there's not alot of Gluten free items that I know of in the regular grocery stores. I do shop at Walmart and love the fact that if their product is gluten free it's printed on the label. If I use anything gluten-free that's not on your list I'll post it. Right now I don't think I have anything to add. Thanks again for you help.

I was at Walmart and asked the other day...they didn't know their products are labled! Now I know. I left and spent my money at a different store! :o

#23 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 04:59 AM

Hi Loey,

The elimination diets have about as many variants as there are people doing them. Eliminating one food at a time is not going to work well unless you already know that one food is bothering you. In which case why would you be eating it anyway, eh? :-) The way I do them, and it's not the only way, is to pare down to five foods for a week. And then add one new food every 3 days. With this approach, if you are still sick after the first week, then you know it is one of those 5 foods. So you would rotate out one of those 5 foods with something else for 3 days until you got to a stable place. Then you could add one food every 3 days.

The thing is to pick a good starting list of 5 foods that you can tolerate for a week. Pick foods that you believe are safe for you to eat. I am talking about whole foods only, no processed foods at all. So a possible starting list would be rice, apples, parsley, chicken, salt and pepper. Salt and pepper are not often triggers foods though. You want to check out the top 8 food allergens and avoid any of them.

Mayo Clinic lists these top 8:

http://www.mayoclini...lergies/AA00057

* Milk
* Eggs
* Peanuts
* Tree nuts (such as almonds, cashews, walnuts)
* Fish (such as bass, cod, flounder)
* Shellfish (such as crab, lobster, shrimp)
* Soy
* Wheat

None of these should be in your starting list of 5 foods.

You would want to consider grains as possible category of trigger foods. For instance some people react to corn and rice or other non-gluten grains. So although rice is in the list I suggested, it might not work for you. You could do some other non-gluten grain instead.

Nightshades are another group of foods that cause reactions in some of us. Tomatoes, peppers, potatoes, and eggplant are some common nightshades that cause problems for some people.

Some people avoid lectins, I don't know much about them though.

When doing an elimination diet, everything counts. That includes vitamins and medicines you are taking and drinks like coffee, tea, soda, wine, etc. So, if you wanted to add these things you would treat them just like a food and add once every 3 days, or every 4th day. Some people suggest adding a new food every 5 days or a week. If you have obvious reactions once every 3 days is probably going to work. If you have slower less obvious reactions then a longer time is probably better. If you are on prednisone then it would be one of the 5 food items for your starting diet.

So, this is not a hard process really, though it can get a little boring at first. But the idea is to simplify your diet to the point where you can recognize what is bothering you. It would be a good idea to do a food diary each day listing how you felt and what you ate.

You really are in control of what goes into your body, so with this process you can detect what the problem food/drink/other is and eliminate it. When a person is eating 50 or 60 food ingredients or more each week it can be pretty dang hard to figure out which is causing a problem. With most processed foods of course there are often multiple ingredients some of which are not even food but are chemicals or colorings to make it look edible. This process also eliminates all those additives that could also cause problems for some of us.

The movie I was watching wasn't all that scary. It is called "The Other Side" and I was watching it on HULU. I did see another one that was called "The Discovery of Heaven" that was ok, not scary but interesting in it's own way. I have gotten kind of hooked on Hulu's science fiction channel. you might like "LEXX" on HULU, kind of fun for Halloweeen.

The celiac groups can be real nice. We have a couple here in DC that have regular meetings and often have free samples of gluten-free foods. The CSA has local chapters and others do too but I forget which ones.

Hi GFinDC,

Thank you SO much for the information. I was eating a lot of the products on the list because they were gluten-free. Today I eliminated milk (before I read your post about just eating 5 foods to try the elimination diet). Also when I saw my new GI last week he said there was still gluten in my system so it had to mean that I was still eating something with gluten in it. I reread everything I had in my pantry and after going on another thread here saw I could have been glutenized by my husband when he ate bread at a restaurant we went to (or by any number of things in the supermarket like bakery samples if I got too close). I seem to be in a super sensitive state right now. I'm seeing that there are so many variables to this diet and it's different for everyone. I will start the basic diet today and see how that goes. I seemed to tolerate a rice omelette for breakfast but will cut out eggs for now. I've been trying to avoid pain killers for a lot of reasons but yesterday it got so bad I almost took one. I decided to bite the bullet. Today isn't as bad so hopefully if I stick to your suggestions and I'll see a difference. As I've mentioned in previous posts to you we're going to a rock concert with my son this Friday night and it will be the first time I see him since he left for college. I need to be able to be in a car and at a concert for about 6 hours and it was looking bleak. You've given me hope.

I'm also taking medication that I can't go off so i hope the foods will be enough initially. I've posted a liink to a list of gluten-free medications in other forums but will post it here as well. Please still read all labels with a magnifying glass!

http://dearpharmacist.com/?p=755&print=1

Everyone here has been so helpful. I met someone who lives in my state (I just moved here) and she's going to take me to a gluten-free store and also to my first Celiac Support Group meeting here. We also share a lot of common interests outside of the disease.

Again, thank you for all you've done since I joined. I was in a downward spiral before that and I see (a distant) light at the end of the tunnel. Posted Image

Loey

P.S. I still highly recommend renting the original version of Let Me In and then seeing the remake. Chilling but it also has a moral message. My son went to high school with the boy who webcamed his roommate at Rutgers. I'll look into LEXX. I don't know if we have HULLA here. We have CHILLER in RI

#24 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 05:28 AM

I was at Walmart and asked the other day...they didn't know their products are labled! Now I know. I left and spent my money at a different store! :o

I purchased the Triumph Dining Trio (not cheap but if you buy it on thier website it's affordable). It includes two books (grocery guide and restaurant guide) and laminated dining cards. The grocery guide lists products that are gluten-free (and specific Walmart products are listed in there) and the restaurant guide lists restaurants in every state (and most big cities) that offer a gluten-free menu. The dining cards are very cool. They're laminated and can fold up and fit into your wallet. Each one has the language of the cuisine (i.e. Asian) on one side and then it is in English on the other side. It lists all of the things we can't eat and discusses cross contamination. The grocery book is heavy and cumbersome. For the store so I've been bringing "My Gluten Free Food List 1/10/08" (Thank you again!!!) to the market and making my shopping list using the book at home as well. Obviously all labels still need to be checked regardless of the products being on any list.

I'm going to try the elimination diet so I'll just be buying the basics suggested by GFinDC. I do still need baggy sweatpants because any pressure on my abdomen is excruciating (and I have to feed my husband) so I'm hoping to get to Walmart's today.

I hope this helps. It's my turn to give back to this awesome forum!

Loey

P.S. Right now I'm unemployed and I love doing research so if anyone has something they want looked up, get in touch. Again, I want to give back!

#25 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 02:53 PM

Hi Loey,

One more thing you might want to try. I was having some bloating for a while and wasn't sure what the cause was. I took a betaine HCL for a few days and it cleared up. I am thinking the extra stomach acid maybe killed off some nasty bacterias. Not sure, but it helped. I don't take them often though.

Betaine HCL turns into hydrocloric acid in the stomach so it can be helpful if there is low stomach acid for some reason. They say that h.pylori bacteria interfere with stomach acid production. Don't take more than recommended though, and make sure to wash them down with a good gulp of water. They aren't the kind of pills you want to chew or dissolve in your mouth!

That's not a replacement for the elimination diet though. Just a possible help with getting past some initial bloating.

Good to hear things may be turning for the better already.

This Ask a patient website might be helpful also. It has patients reports of their reactions to various drugs.

Ask A Patient
http://www.askapatient.com/

Ok saw the trailer. Yep I remember those commericials. Looks like a good one!

Let Me In trailer

#26 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 03:30 PM

Hi Loey,

One more thing you might want to try. I was having some bloating for a while and wasn't sure what the cause was. I took a betaine HCL for a few days and it cleared up. I am thinking the extra stomach acid maybe killed off some nasty bacterias. Not sure, but it helped. I don't take them often though.

Betaine HCL turns into hydrocloric acid in the stomach so it can be helpful if there is low stomach acid for some reason. They say that h.pylori bacteria interfere with stomach acid production. Don't take more than recommended though, and make sure to wash them down with a good gulp of water. They aren't the kind of pills you want to chew or dissolve in your mouth!

That's not a replacement for the elimination diet though. Just a possible help with getting past some initial bloating.

Good to hear things may be turning for the better already.

This Ask a patient website might be helpful also. It has patients reports of their reactions to various drugs.

Ask A Patient
http://www.askapatient.com/

Ok saw the trailer. Yep I remember those commericials. Looks like a good one!

Let Me In trailer

I had posted in another forum that my insurance company hasn't approved the capsule endoscopy for Monday. I don't think my new GI is taking me seriously. I get the feeling he thinks I want pain medication. I don't need to get it from him and have chosen not to take any that I have because I don't want to mask the symptoms or create other problems by taking anything addictive. I just want to feel better. A man my husband works with has IBS and uses a GI he's been happy with about a half hour away from me. I picked my GI because he was close and I had to get my son tested ASAP before he left for his freshman year at college. I wanted to make sure he could eat what he wanted and thankfully he can (when he's not home). My husband and I discussed it and I'll go see the other doctor.

Started the elimination diet today. Not feeling better yet but I'm willing to do whatever it takes (even though my husband's homemade gluten-free mac & cheese looked much better than my little grilled piece of chicken with rice). Tonight I'll treat myself to apple sauce while he has dessert.

BTW, where do you get the Betaine HCL? Is that a Health Food store item or pharmacy? I hope you know how much I appreciate all the help you've been giving me.Posted Image

Loey

#27 GFinDC

GFinDC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,134 posts

Posted 13 October 2010 - 06:04 PM

Hi Loey,

I think I got my Betaine HCL at the Vitamin Shoppe, it's been a while. So yeah, a pharmacy or some such would probably have it too. It's not a prescription item, so lots of places that stock vitamins may have it in the digestive aids section.

The elimination diet can take several days to settle things down. Our bodies need time to heal and adjust a bit too. Avoiding sugar is a real good idea while working on the elimination diet too. Sugars can feed a lot of hungry bacteria in our guts. After a week it should be helping though. Maybe sooner, but time will tell. Simplification of the diet is the key to it.

I hear those capsule endoscopies can be helpful. Seems like a good way to go.

I am glad to help, been there and done that myself plenty. I did elimination diets 3 times in the 3 years since I started gluten-free and found new intolerances each time. Seems our bodies can develop new intolerances whenever they see fit to. But it sure can be helpful when something that's irritating is removed from the diet.

I suggest you build up a list of safe foods that you know work for you. Then if you start having problems sometime down the road you can go back to eating those safe foods again for a while until you figure out what the culprit is. Your safe list doesn't have to be real short though. It could be 10 or 15 or 20 foods.

Well, I hope things get better soon! :)

#28 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 05:46 AM

Hi Loey,

I think I got my Betaine HCL at the Vitamin Shoppe, it's been a while. So yeah, a pharmacy or some such would probably have it too. It's not a prescription item, so lots of places that stock vitamins may have it in the digestive aids section.

The elimination diet can take several days to settle things down. Our bodies need time to heal and adjust a bit too. Avoiding sugar is a real good idea while working on the elimination diet too. Sugars can feed a lot of hungry bacteria in our guts. After a week it should be helping though. Maybe sooner, but time will tell. Simplification of the diet is the key to it.

I hear those capsule endoscopies can be helpful. Seems like a good way to go.

I am glad to help, been there and done that myself plenty. I did elimination diets 3 times in the 3 years since I started gluten-free and found new intolerances each time. Seems our bodies can develop new intolerances whenever they see fit to. But it sure can be helpful when something that's irritating is removed from the diet.

I suggest you build up a list of safe foods that you know work for you. Then if you start having problems sometime down the road you can go back to eating those safe foods again for a while until you figure out what the culprit is. Your safe list doesn't have to be real short though. It could be 10 or 15 or 20 foods.

Well, I hope things get better soon! :)

Hi GFinDC

My pain is a little better today. I also haven't eaten anything yet. Right now I'm only eating chicken, rice, and apples.

I've decided to go see another GI (one referred to us by my husband's co-worker). He has been seeing them for years (he has IBS) and is very happy the way he's been treated. It's further away but I think it's important for me to have a good relationship with my GI. I just don't think my new one is taking this seriously and think he might be labeling me as someone looking for pain killers. I haven't taken (or wanted to take) any since I got sick because I don't want to mask the pain or create other problems. They all don't have experience with this disease. I also know I have to be my own detective and advocate. I'm hoping the other doctor will push for the capsule endoscopy the way my old GI pushed for all of the other tests I had before I moved. After going undiagnosed for God knows how many years I want to know how damaged the villi are and if any organs were damaged.

Right now I'm cooking chicken in a crock-pot with just water, salt and pepper. The chicken last night got too rubbery when I broiled it (still getting use to my new electric oven and it's the one appliances that didn't come with a manual).

I'm hoping to get out to pick up the Betaine HCL today. I usually don't get out of the house too early. I suffer from the cold and numb hands and feet (with tingling) and usually crawl back into bed to watch a little TV and get warmer. This forum has gotten me out of bed and as I mentioned that's a Godsend.

Loey Posted Image

P.S. I almost ate applesauce last night and then looked at the ingredients. It had high fructose corn syrup in it. Dodged a bullet there.

#29 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 06:20 AM

I had posted in another forum that my insurance company hasn't approved the capsule endoscopy for Monday. I don't think my new GI is taking me seriously. I get the feeling he thinks I want pain medication. I don't need to get it from him and have chosen not to take any that I have because I don't want to mask the symptoms or create other problems by taking anything addictive. I just want to feel better. A man my husband works with has IBS and uses a GI he's been happy with about a half hour away from me. I picked my GI because he was close and I had to get my son tested ASAP before he left for his freshman year at college. I wanted to make sure he could eat what he wanted and thankfully he can (when he's not home). My husband and I discussed it and I'll go see the other doctor.

Started the elimination diet today. Not feeling better yet but I'm willing to do whatever it takes (even though my husband's homemade gluten-free mac & cheese looked much better than my little grilled piece of chicken with rice). Tonight I'll treat myself to apple sauce while he has dessert.

BTW, where do you get the Betaine HCL? Is that a Health Food store item or pharmacy? I hope you know how much I appreciate all the help you've been giving me.Posted Image

Loey

Hi GFinDC,

Another quick question about the elimination diet. If the food in my fridge is all gluten-free but not what I'm eating yet on the elimination diet (things my husband is eating), is that still OK or can it contaminate me. He's willing to do whatever it takes to help me heal but I'd like him to be able to eat the good gluten-free meals I made him. He wants to invite a co-worker over for dinner next week and I would like to cook them a nice meal while I eat my chicken, rice, and apples.

Thanks!!

Loey Posted Image

#30 Loey

Loey

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,460 posts

Posted 14 October 2010 - 09:28 AM

Hi GFinDC,

Hope I'm not becoming a PIA. I was wondering if I should add Quinoa to my "soup" instead of rice just to be safe. I ate a little bit of rice for lunch. Pain is a little better today (considering what it was yesterday - still fairly excruciating). Getting ready to try and do an errand or two. That completely wiped me out yesterday. I also spend a lot of time sitting at my computer and had previously been lying in bed (eased the pain a little but not good for my spirits or education on Celiac - although I did read books).

One last thing, I had posted a question to you about whether or not it was all right to have gluten-free things that I cooked in my fridge for my husband while I'm doing the elimination diet. My husband is a saint but I want him to at least have variety in the gluten-free meals he eats.

Again you are amazing and I feel so lucky to have found you and this forum!
Loey Posted Image

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: