This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Hives & Accidental Gluten Ingestion

Gwen B

Gwen B Rookie

Has anyone had hives after ingesting gluten?

I am a new undiagnosed coeliac and gluten free for 2 months. I ate at PF Changs, Portland, OR and suffered a severe hive attack - swelling face, neck, faintness only stopped by swift ER treatment. I also suffered the usual stomache problems that had plagued me before going gluten-free.

I was skin tested for allergies and the only food related stuff I tested posative for was soy, not wheat. I have not been tested for coeliac properly since the doctors i have seen said it was unlikely after a low negative tTg score over a year ago. However they also said that if I felt better on this gluten-free diet that must be it! They also said that there may not be any reason that the histamin reaction was triggered by food. I don't like coincidence and cannot help suspecting that I reacted to the combination of soy and wheat from being accidentally given regular soy sauce and not the gluten-free sauce I asked for. I have had everything else that I ate that day subsequently without any effect, except of course gluten.

Anybody else had similar experience?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Babygirl6915 Explorer
Has anyone had hives after ingesting gluten?

I am a new undiagnosed coeliac and gluten free for 2 months. I ate at PF Changs, Portland, OR and suffered a severe hive attack - swelling face, neck, faintness only stopped by swift ER treatment. I also suffered the usual stomache problems that had plagued me before going gluten-free.

I was skin tested for allergies and the only food related stuff I tested posative for was soy, not wheat. I have not been tested for coeliac properly since the doctors i have seen said it was unlikely after a low negative tTg score over a year ago. However they also said that if I felt better on this gluten-free diet that must be it! They also said that there may not be any reason that the histamin reaction was triggered by food. I don't like coincidence and cannot help suspecting that I reacted to the combination of soy and wheat from being accidentally given regular soy sauce and not the gluten-free sauce I asked for. I have had everything else that I ate that day subsequently without any effect, except of course gluten.

Anybody else had similar experience?

I am not too sure about the celiac aspect but I as far as wheat allergies go, you should have a blood allergy test. I do not test positive for wheat on the skin test however I test VERY positive for it on the blood test. I also suffer from severe hives every so often when I have been glutened. You really should have another allergy test!

zkat Apprentice

If I understand your post correctly, you have tested positive for Soy allergy and then had a hive reaction after eating at a chinese resturant with Soy sauce. My guess is your hives were triggered by the soy if that is a confirmed allergy. Some allergies become worse over time, I would not ever risk eating soy again if I were you!

Kat.

Gwen B Rookie
If I understand your post correctly, you have tested positive for Soy allergy and then had a hive reaction after eating at a chinese resturant with Soy sauce. My guess is your hives were triggered by the soy if that is a confirmed allergy. Some allergies become worse over time, I would not ever risk eating soy again if I were you!

Kat.

I have eaten soy yogurt since the hive incident and not suffered anything but a little gas. I'm already doing gluten-free, lactose and cassein, I'm not sure I want to add to the list! The allergist said that the soy protein that affects me when I drink soy milk may be destryed by heating and therefore inoccuous when eaten as cooked food. Is soy yogurt heated?

I'm thinking I should get blood allergy testing.

confusedks Enthusiast

Gwen B,

By the sounds of your allergic reaction, you need to ask for an epi-pen. You need to have one with you at all times, if you had to go to the ER, that's bad.

Also, I would ask for another allergy test because you may have developed a new allergy.

Gwen B Rookie
Gwen B,

By the sounds of your allergic reaction, you need to ask for an epi-pen. You need to have one with you at all times, if you had to go to the ER, that's bad.

Also, I would ask for another allergy test because you may have developed a new allergy.

Thanks for the info. I now have an epi-pen and am summoning up the courage to bug my doctor again about the allergy. I feel somewhat let down by their indifference and hate going back to the docs with yet another complaint!After all they gave me one blood test for celiac and a skin test for the allergies and they were both negative for wheat!

I am supposed to go away and contact them again if I have another hive attack.

Gwen B Rookie
Gwen B,

Thanks for the info. I now have an epi-pen and am summoning up the courage to bug my doctor again about the allergy. I feel somewhat let down by their indifference and hate going back to the docs with yet another complaint!After all they gave me one blood test for celiac and a skin test for the allergies and they were both negative for wheat!

I am supposed to go away and contact them again if I have another hive attack.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Archived