20 replies to this topic

#1 horsefarmer4

horsefarmer4

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 14 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:01 PM

Hi, I'm a new bee and My question is - Are gluten free skin, hair and body nessisary? I also wonder are Walmarts products that are marked gluten free always safe? do they have a testing policy? Because I've used their soy sauce in a veggie stir fry and I wonder if i was glutened. I'm just returning to the diet after being off for a month or so and i've been (trying) gulten free for about a week and a half. Alot of my symptoms are going away execpt a few times after eating I starting getting that dizzy, spacey, tired feeling and my dermatiss is still active.

F.y.i. my blood test was neg and my GI is a Quack so I have stopped persuing a diagnoses. THe diet has improved my life and body so Im living as a celiac and quite happy!
Thanks for any help you can offer, Tina

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kbtoyssni

kbtoyssni

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 02:11 PM

All my personal care products are gluten-free. It's a risk that I'm not willing to take. Even though most celiacs do not get skin reactions from gluten (although those with DH probably do), it's too likely to be ingested. I only get shampoo in my mouth once or twice a year, but that's one or two glutenings that are easily avoidable. I like that my house is a 100% gluten-free zone so when I'm home my celiac is never an issue. I can eat anything I want and touch anything I want free from worry. I figure the risk of having gluten personal care products is about equal to the risk of eating out a few times a year, and I'd much rather go out to eat than use wheat-based shampoo!

I have no idea about how Wal-Mart tests their products.
Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.
Peanut-Free since July 2006.

#3 aorona

aorona

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 55 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 03:31 PM

Many will disagree with me, but I believe that gluten-free personal care products are a must. Lotion, soaps, make-up, shampoo; all of these products are put on using your hands. What do you use to prepare and eat food? Right, your hands!so, if any of these products contain gluten you will be cross-contaminating everything you eat. Remember that even the tiniest microscopic bit of gluten can make you sick. Everything (except for an occassional loaf of bread for my husband) in my house is gluten free. I'm glad that when I wake up at 5 am to take a shower I don't have to worry about grabbing the wrong bottle of shampoo and being sick all day because of it.
Myself & 2 children (when they were ages 20 months & 4 & I was 28) diagnosed celiac in July 2005
All Gluten-free since July 2005
My mother & 1 sister diagnosed celiac in December 2005
same sister diagnosed with IBS March 2006

1 other sister self-diagnosed celiac in February 2006
2 other sisters & 1 brother have not been tested yet

My 3rd child is gluten free, but we are not certain he is celiac

#4 Gemini

Gemini

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,160 posts

Posted 11 January 2008 - 06:32 PM

Hi, I'm a new bee and My question is - Are gluten free skin, hair and body nessisary? I also wonder are Walmarts products that are marked gluten free always safe? do they have a testing policy? Because I've used their soy sauce in a veggie stir fry and I wonder if i was glutened. I'm just returning to the diet after being off for a month or so and i've been (trying) gulten free for about a week and a half. Alot of my symptoms are going away execpt a few times after eating I starting getting that dizzy, spacey, tired feeling and my dermatiss is still active.

F.y.i. my blood test was neg and my GI is a Quack so I have stopped persuing a diagnoses. THe diet has improved my life and body so Im living as a celiac and quite happy!
Thanks for any help you can offer, Tina

This choice is a personal one and will be different depending upon each situation. I don't have DH and, except for lipstick or lip balm, none of my personal care products are gluten-free that I know of. I don't eat my make-up or shampoo
and practice good hygiene to prevent CC. I can't remember the last time I was glutened and to prove compliance, I have my blood tested regularly. My numbers are consistently very low so I know I am not getting glutened. This has worked for me so far but others may not be comfortable with that.

For people with negative blood work to begin with, you could try using your regular products and see how you feel. If it causes a problem, you may want to rethink changing products.

#5 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 12 January 2008 - 03:53 AM

I do not have DH either, never did to my knowledge, yet I react to gluten on my skin. I didn't in the beginning. I have been gluten free now for over 7 yrs. At 4 yrs, I realized I could not have gluten on my skin either. It's true, it is a personal preference as to whether you use gluten free personal products--for me, it's a must. It's just so much safer. Shampoo can easily get into your mouth and eyes while rinsing in the shower, conditioner too! Hand lotion can get on your food--cross contamination alone is enough of a reason. My policy--better safe, than sorry!!!! Wheat in my soaps burn the minute it touches my skin--so, I am very careful.

As for you meal, did you use an old scratched pan, maybe you cross contaminated yourself that way--maybe it wasn't the Walmart soy sauce. Maybe another spice you may have used that wasn't gluten free, some aren't?
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#6 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 13 January 2008 - 07:24 AM

Last month I called L'Oreal about one of their skin lotion products and rep told me that anything with fragrance could have low level of gluten in it. I do gluten-free skin products because my celiac husband has this tendency to kiss my face ;) and I don't want him to get any gluten on his lips.

Anyway,the L'Oreal rep said that unscented has "masking agents" which does not mean it's fragrance free & again could contain low level of gluten; unfragranced means that there should be no gluten in it as there is no fragrance.

So I didn't buy the L'Oreal product as it had fragrance in it....
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#7 ElseB

ElseB

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 289 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:06 AM

I'm new to this forced gluten-free living and don't know how to find gluten-free non-food products. I note that shampoo, etc. never has ingredients labelled, and so I have no idea if its gluten free. Do I have to buy this stuff in a special store?

Can anyone recommend any brands of gluten-free products for:
- shampoo
- conditioner
- make-up
- toothpaste
- hairspray, gel, etc.

(I live in Toronto, Canada if that makes any difference - I don't think we always have the same products as in the U.S.)

#8 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 15 January 2008 - 06:48 AM

I'm new to this forced gluten-free living and don't know how to find gluten-free non-food products. I note that shampoo, etc. never has ingredients labelled, and so I have no idea if its gluten free. Do I have to buy this stuff in a special store?

Can anyone recommend any brands of gluten-free products for:
- shampoo
- conditioner
- make-up
- toothpaste
- hairspray, gel, etc.

(I live in Toronto, Canada if that makes any difference - I don't think we always have the same products as in the U.S.)

Hi--I'm in the US, but I'll tell you what I use to give you an idea, and hopefully you can find some of the products where you are. Do note that sometimes formulas can vary depending on where it's made.

You can always call the manufacturer--I strongly suggest you do this--with any products you are considering.

Shampoo--I use Dove, who will clearly list any gluten on the label.

Conditioner--Dove

Makeup--Everyday Minerals for foundation, blush, concealer and lip gloss--

http://www.everydayminerals.com/

Also, Burt's Bees lip shimmers are gluten-free--the tocopherol in it is from soy.

I'm very sensitive, and have not had luck with body lotions found in stores, so I use Dakota Free Moisturizer

http://www.dakotafree.com/

For mascara and facial creams, I like Personal Basics--(her products are also salicylate free, for those who need to consider that)

http://www.andrearose.com/

I use Crest toothpaste--I spoke with them and was told that all of their products are gluten-free.

I don't use hairspray, but I use Garnier Smoothing Milk on my hair before I blow dry. Garnier has great customer service and will answer any questions you have about their products.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#9 Terbie

Terbie

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 34 posts

Posted 16 January 2008 - 01:35 PM

This is all recent news to me too, so I'm not sure what to do with it.

Does anyone know of a list that states all of the ingredient names in beauty products that might contain gluten? I can't understand half of the ingredients listed on my shampoo, so I have no idea. I saw my conditioner actually said "wheat protein," so that's fairly easy to rule out.

What do you do about soap when you're out of the house? Do you bring your own with you everywhere you go?

#10 Katrinm

Katrinm

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 10 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 05:08 AM

I am one of the celiacs whose skin reacts. So happy to find others because I get so frustrated when I buy products, think the labels read free of gluten and an hour after using them I have bumps on my face.

What I have found that is things in the products that are not listed cause me the most problems. For example alcohol in products gives me bumps. So frangrance is ok if it is soy based and contains no alcohol. Also witch hazel (in toners) contains about 40% alcohol but that is not on the label. We really are at companies mercy!!

I saw the woman who started Herbology Beauty speak in a health food store here in NYC. She is a celiac/cosmetic chemist and started her company because she was frustrated with what was available on the market. Said that companies have to make a committment to be gluten free and train all their employees on it. Talked about things like watching who is selling the company ingredients to make sure that they are consistenly gluten free, how to read labels etc. Also she brought up cross contamination. Really interesting.

Does anyone have problems at spas? I went for a facial, asked if the treatment was wheat free....two hours later all broken out.

#11 loco_ladi

loco_ladi

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 462 posts

Posted 17 February 2008 - 02:34 PM

My household consists of myself (gluten-free) and my hubby, 2 cats and 3 dogs...

other than the very tiny cupboard I allow my hubby to have for his "cant live without these gluten items" which ONLY come out when I am not home and he is restricted to certain pots and pans along with a very tiny excuse for a countertop... my house is gluten-free, the cats and dogs have gluten-free food as well as all shampoo's, lotions and vitamins
Just my .00000002 cents worth
If I knew what I was doing years ago I would have half a clue today!

#12 katiebugg

katiebugg

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 1 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 10:29 AM

I was somewhat informally diagnosed with Celiac about a year ago. I am 21 and have had every vitamin deficiency, growth problem, and GI problem imaginable. Spent almost my whole life sick with something and nobody could figure out why I had such a weak immune system. Since going gluten free the migraines have stopped, the stomach problems, everything! One problem... the longer I am gluten free it seems like the more sensitive I become to the slightest contamination. I used to get hives and Eczema that went away after going gluten free, but are now coming back. Does anybody know if this means I need to start using gluten-free sking products too? Thanks for the help!!! :)

#13 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,791 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 12:05 PM

I was somewhat informally diagnosed with Celiac about a year ago. I am 21 and have had every vitamin deficiency, growth problem, and GI problem imaginable. Spent almost my whole life sick with something and nobody could figure out why I had such a weak immune system. Since going gluten free the migraines have stopped, the stomach problems, everything! One problem... the longer I am gluten free it seems like the more sensitive I become to the slightest contamination. I used to get hives and Eczema that went away after going gluten free, but are now coming back. Does anybody know if this means I need to start using gluten-free sking products too? Thanks for the help!!! :)

I would start using gluten-free skin products and see if it helps..
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#14 cat3883

cat3883

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 106 posts

Posted 19 November 2009 - 04:31 PM

My gastroenterologist said all products must be gluten free. You can call any manufacturer and they will know if their products are gluten free. I used to use very expensive skin products but now use Burts Bee products. They are wonderful, and gluten free. If it can touch your lips it can contaminate you. Make sure you check ALL meds. If you are prescribed any meds your pharmacist can call to make sure they are gluten free. They may not like doing it but that is part of their job. I have followed all suggestions my GI gave me and in 13 months my TGG level went from 63 to 4. Yes that's right a 4. 0-19 is normal. It really does get easier. Good luck to you.

#15 Laurelf

Laurelf

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 33 posts

Posted 20 November 2009 - 08:59 AM

I've been using Bare Minerals make-up from Sephora which I was told is g.f but made in a facility. I have DH and I think the make-up is bothering my face. Anyone else tried this make-up and had problems? There also could be something else in it that I'm sensitive to and don't know it.

Thanks,

Laurel

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: