This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Chocolate Chip Cookie Disaster

JustMe75

JustMe75 Enthusiast

My daughter and I made some chocolate chip cookies and substituted the flour with Gluten Free Pantry all purpose flour and it was a disaster. They never melted down for lack of a better way to describe it. They stayed as clumped formed balls of cookie. They crumbled like they were made of powder and were awful! This is so frustrating since there were probably 10-15 dollars worth of ingredients. (she is dairy free so we used DF butter and DF chocolate chips - more expensive)

Any advice? We want to try again, but I don't know what went wrong. Anyone have an easy no fail recipe I can try?

Here are the ingredients I used:

1c dairy free margarine

1/2 c brown sugar

1/2 c sugar

1/4 c soy milk

2 tsp vanilla

2 c gluten free flour

1/2 tsp salt

1 tsp baking soda

half a bag of Enjoy Life chocolate chips (the best chocolate chips!!! As good as regular dairy chips!!)

I made them for her before she was gluten free and she said they were perfect. The only ehing we changed this time is the flour.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

flagbabyds Collaborator

we use the tollhouse cookie recipe.

• 2 1/4 cups gluten-free flour mix
  • 1 teaspoon baking soda
  • 1 teaspoon salt
  • 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
  • 3/4 cup granulated sugar
  • 3/4 cup packed brown sugar
  • 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
  • 2 large eggs
  • 2 cups Chocolate Chips

and my mom adds 1.2 teaspoon xantham gum to help them stick together better.

Darn210 Enthusiast

I noticed that you didn't use any eggs. I think this may be your problem. Are eggs an issue?

I also use the tollhouse cookie recipe with just a few modifications:

3/4 cup butter

1/4 cup shortening

3/4 cup brown sugar

3/4 cup granular sugar

2 eggs

1 Tablespoon vanilla

2 1/4 cup gluten-free flour (I use Annalise Robert's blend)

1 1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1 teaspoon xantham gum

1/2 teaspoon salt

2 cups choc chips

I believe a lot of dairy free people have good luck with spectrum shortening. Or you could use all shortening but then I would add some butter flavoring (1 Tablespoon).

I just got done making these cookies about an hour ago and gave some to a neighbor (she always likes to try the gluten-free stuff). Her first comment was . . . "these look like mine". The second comment was . . . "these taste great, I would have never known."

mamaw Community Regular

Yep, I too bet no eggs. If you have a problem with eggs as I see you used dairy free butter you may need to use a sub for eggs.

I have never used the flour you used but I use my old reg choc chip recipe ( similar to toll house) . Batter Batter Flour has a blend flour mix that is one for one ratio .

mamaw

JustMe75 Enthusiast

Actually no problem with eggs. I am learning to bake since going gluten-free and my daughter found the recipe on a dairy free website. I thought you usually bake with eggs, but didn't know to question it. I will try the shortening, do you know if butter flavor Crisco is dairy free? The ingredients say "natural and artificial butter flavors" I would think if it has naural butter flavor it would have to have dairy but I am still learning about the dairy free thing. She was just told she has a dairy allergy in late November. Can I get butter flavoring at most stores?

The flour I used said 1 to 1 ratio too. I bet I needed the eggs. I am gonna scratch that recipe and try the ones you guys gave me.

Thanks and wish me luck!

NorthernElf Enthusiast

I use this recipe from Recipezaar.com - but for the 1 1/2 cup flour I substitute 1/2 cup brown rice flour (or white), 1/2 cup soy flour, 1/4 cup white rice flour, and 1/4 cup garbanzo bean flour for some protein (can't use too much of this or the flavor is off). I also add ground flaxseed (1 tbsp or so) and psyllium husks from the health food store (about 1 tbsp too) - I'm never sure how much fiber gluten-free flours have. It works well as posted too- just light on the fiber.

Gluten Free Awesome Chocolate Chip Cookies

Recipe #1217147

1/4 cup softened margarine

1/2 cup brown sugar

1/2 cup sugar

1 large egg

1/2 teaspoon vanilla

3/4 cup rice flour

3/4 cup soy flour

1/2 teaspoon baking soda

1/2 teaspoon salt

1 cup nestle chocolate chips

Not the one? See other Gluten Free Awesome Chocolate Chip Cookies Recipes

< 30 mins Cookies & Brownies

Gluten-free Cookies & Brownies

Comfort Food Cookies & Brownies

By hand blend margarine, sugars, egg, & vanilla until creamy.

In a separate bowl blend flours, baking soda salt. Combine both bowls and mix well. Add chocolate chips and mix. Roll into balls.

Bake at 375

Darn210 Enthusiast
Actually no problem with eggs. I am learning to bake since going gluten-free and my daughter found the recipe on a dairy free website. I thought you usually bake with eggs, but didn't know to question it. I will try the shortening, do you know if butter flavor Crisco is dairy free? The ingredients say "natural and artificial butter flavors" I would think if it has naural butter flavor it would have to have dairy but I am still learning about the dairy free thing. She was just told she has a dairy allergy in late November. Can I get butter flavoring at most stores?

The flour I used said 1 to 1 ratio too. I bet I needed the eggs. I am gonna scratch that recipe and try the ones you guys gave me.

Thanks and wish me luck!

I'm not familiar with the world of "dairy free" but since it (Crisco butter flavor) doesn't call out milk in an alergy warning, doesn't that make it OK?

I just also wanted to pass on that this last time I made cookies, I save back some of the dough, formed into balls on wax paper (not touching each other) and put them in the freezer. Now that they are frozen, I'll but them in a ziploc bag or something. That way, we can have a few homemade cookies in a week or two without having to haul everything out again and slows down the rate that we consume a batch of cookies. :P

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

zachsmom Enthusiast

Okay pamelas did this . what hers did was melt all over the pan. so I had a really think almost hard crunchy .. hard crisp ... hard flat. You can go either choc chip or sugar. it makes better sugar than choc chips.

Archived