3 replies to this topic

#1 JennyC

JennyC

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 12:35 PM

I have been trying to make General Tso's chicken and none of the recipes turn out like the real thing. They mostly taste like soy sauce and sherry. I found a recipe that calls for hoisin sauce and I hope to make it tonight. So, what kind of hoisin sauce is gluten free?

Here's a link to the recipe in case anyone would like it:

http://www.recipezaar.com/266373

Thanks!
Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.
Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 celiac-mommy

celiac-mommy

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,692 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 02:53 PM

I have been trying to make General Tso's chicken and none of the recipes turn out like the real thing. They mostly taste like soy sauce and sherry. I found a recipe that calls for hoisin sauce and I hope to make it tonight. So, what kind of hoisin sauce is gluten free?

Here's a link to the recipe in case anyone would like it:

http://www.recipezaar.com/266373

Thanks!

Hi Jenny,
We use the Premier Japan wheat free hoisin sauce. I've found it at New Seasons and Wild Oats. I use their teriyaki sauce too. They're pretty thick so I usually dilute them a bit to make it last longer--it's a little spendy but tasty--and not too spicy. You could always use some red pepper flakes if you wanted it spicy.

Rachelle 20dance.gif

Daughter diagnosed 1/06 bloodwork and biopsy
-gluten-free since 1/06

Son tested negative-bloodwork (8/07), intestinal issues prompted biospy (3/08), results negative, but very positive dietary response, Dr. diagnosed Celiac disease (3/8)

#3 JennyC

JennyC

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,013 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 04:17 PM

Thank you. I looked at Fred Meyer and all their Hoisin sauce contained wheat. I'll just have to wait until I go to Whole Foods. I really want General Tso's chicken! ;)
Jenny

Son 6 yrs old, Positive blood work, Outstanding dietary response, no biopsy.
Household mostly gluten free since 3/07

Me: HLA-DQ 02 & 0302 (DQ 08), which I ran & analyzed myself!Currently gluten lite, negative tTG, asymptomatic

#4 gfmolly

gfmolly

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 200 posts

Posted 19 January 2008 - 05:44 PM

Thank you. I looked at Fred Meyer and all their Hoisin sauce contained wheat. I'll just have to wait until I go to Whole Foods. I really want General Tso's chicken! ;)

We have the brand "Dynasty" in Wisconsin and it has gluten free hoisin sauce and other good sauces. It is in the Asian food aisle in the grocery store. Can you get that brand?
Good luck!
Diary free 11/06-6/08
Now using a small amount of low-lactose dairy such as aged cheeses and yogurt. Yum!
Gluten-free since 4/07

"When you row another person across the river, you get there yourself."
- Fortune Cookie

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: