This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Intestinal Metaplasia

yukionna

yukionna Newbie

hi,

I went for a gastroscopy the other day, and appart from GERD it appears I have this condition called intestinal metaplasia. Helico bacter was negativ. I googled it and everywhere the word 'precancerous' jumped into my face. Is anyone familiar with this? How is it treated?

The good news was that my intestinal mucosa is in good shape, so the diet seems to work. Not much use if I die of cancer though :(

tnx

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

mommida Enthusiast

bump

yukionna Newbie
bump

Well, that's very enlightening... <_<

mommida Enthusiast

That means I don't have anything intelligent to add, but I want draw attention by putting it on the top of the new posts (BUMP).

I hope some one has a response for you soon. :)

yukionna Newbie
That means I don't have anything intelligent to add, but I want draw attention by putting it on the top of the new posts (BUMP).

I hope some one has a response for you soon. :)

Hi,

sorry, didn't know that, Thought it was your idea of telling me not to go hysterical :lol:

Which I should indeed not do. Thanks for your effort. If no answers come, at least I have learned something new

WW340 Rookie

The way I understand it, metaplasia is where the cells have changed to an abnormal state. The road to cancer goes something like this:

Normal cells -------->inflammation----------->metaplasia----------->dysplasia---------->cancer

So it would appear that the cells have been inflamed long enough that they have changed and become abnormal cells, which left untreated can progress to dysplasia and can continue on to cancer.

If the source of irritation is removed, the cells can stop changing and may even return to normal.

Since your doctor now knows you have the metaplasia, he should monitor you closely to see if the cells are stablizing or progressing. There are things that can be done to prevent cancer even if the cells progress to dysplasia.

So, it does not necessarily mean that the metaplasia is going to turn into cancer, but it does need to be watched, and sources for the irritation need to be eliminated.

There is a lot of information on the web about this. Barrett's esophagus is a good example. If the reflux can be controlled in Barrett's, there is less chance of progression to cancer.

yukionna Newbie

tnx for the info. Good to know it's reversable...thought it could only go from bad to worse. Oh well, now we know why I have stomach problems :D

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 5 years later...
0range Apprentice

I know this is an old thread, but I am posting in it again! My dad has intestinal metaplasia. OP, have there been any changes in your condition? 

GottaSki Mentor

I know this is an old thread, but I am posting in it again! My dad has intestinal metaplasia. OP, have there been any changes in your condition? 

Hi There!

FYI -- The OP hasn't been active since 2008.

0range Apprentice

Hi There!

FYI -- The OP hasn't been active since 2008.

Oh darn! :( just realized. I wonder if there are any others on this forum dealing with metaplasia. I have been trying to educate myself about it ever since my dad developed it. I heard it is reversible as well, if you deal with the stimulus or the instigator that caused it to develop is removed. Scary realizing it can develop into stomach cancer. Hoping to get my dad tested for celiac disease this month. 

birdie222 Newbie

Oh darn! :( just realized. I wonder if there are any others on this forum dealing with metaplasia. I have been trying to educate myself about it ever since my dad developed it. I heard it is reversible as well, if you deal with the stimulus or the instigator that caused it to develop is removed. Scary realizing it can develop into stomach cancer. Hoping to get my dad tested for celiac disease this month. 

Hey I just got a biopsy result yesterday and the result was focal intestinal metplasia in the stomach, antral, with gastritis.  h. pylori was negative.  I also have hashimoto's...just learning about this disease but from what I gather it is extraordinarly common.  On one site I saw that it is suspected to be in 30% of the population:

Open Original Shared Link

On another site somewhere I saw that 1 in 4 endoscopies will pull up this condition. So, very common.  Which is not to say it isn't important to monitor.  Re. treating it, what I've come across is that vitamin c. can help (but this study was just in people who had recently eradicated h. pylori): Open Original Shared Link

It apears that with managing whatever irritant has caused your stomach lining to be chronically irritated will potentially reduce, halt or even reverse the GIM (gastric intestinal metaplasia).  However the problem is that it is impossible to know how long the patient has had GIM whne it is discovered frequently, so its difficult to say if you are at high risk or not (Though there are several ways that they can asses this with co-presenting factors).  I think not having h. pylori is good.  I think antrallly located is good.  Much worse to have this in the esophagus region apparently.  I know that when this is in the esophagus, because the risk of it going cancerous is much higher they treat it with radiofrequency ablation.  I have seen that in asia (where stomach cancer is way more common) they have experimented with doing radiofrequency ablation in the stomach, or at least I thought I saw a clinical trial on that--I want to find more about this or any aggressive way of attacking these cells head on, especialy if its focal (rather thant diffuse IM throughout the stomach).  I can't seem to find very good info on this.

Oh the other thing I found was that in addition to controlling gastritis/stomach acidity, its been shown that green tea may help, also selenium and vitamin a. And perhaps asprin. 

• 2 years later...
Smart007 Newbie

Hi, I just had my upper endoscopy and doctor found out that I have Celiac disease and also focal Intestinal Metaplasia. I have been reading over this online and found all scary stuff. My H.Pylori test came out to be negative. 

People who have posted their diagnose with Intestinal Metaplasia back in 2008 and 2013, have you guys followed up to see weather the Metaplasia progressed or reverse back? 

Archived