This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

How Does Everyone Feel When They Cheat?

Guest Jemenii36

Guest Jemenii36

hi everyone! i have been diagnosed with celiac disease about a year ago and was wondering how everyone feels if they cheat? i am definitely celiac, however, there i times when i cheat and feel like crap! but other times i feel completely normal! i know it sounds funny but i wish i would always get some type of reaction so i would never cheat! anyone else feel the same??

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• Replies 59
  • Created
  • Last Reply
kbtoyssni Contributor

I don't cheat. My life was so miserable pre-diagnosis that there is no way I would purposely eat gluten. Even if you don't get an outward reaction, you're still doing damage and setting yourself up for a major health issues down the road.

Phyllis28 Apprentice

If I cheat, I get sick. I don't like getting sick, therefore I don't cheat.

jerseyangel Proficient

I have not cheated once in 2 1/2 years....I was sick for over 20 years before being diagnosed, and it took probably 2 years before I began to feel "norml" again.

I wouldn't even consider it. ;)

It's true that even if you don't feel any symptoms when you ingest gluten, you are incurring damage to your intestine every time.

tom Contributor
I don't cheat. My life was so miserable pre-diagnosis that there is no way I would purposely eat gluten.

Same here. Wayyyy too hellish an existence pre-gluten-free.

I plan on zero gluten for the rest of my life.

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

I know this is probably not the answer you are looking to hear but I don't cheat. I do not want to feel that miserble. Sorry.

Annie/NM Apprentice

I have only been gluten-free for a year now too. My son was diagnosed and that's why we all went through the testing. I of course was the only one who had it too and my stomach did have damage on the biopsy. That being said, I did not have major symptoms before going gluten-free. Now, I am a lot like you. If I am really tempted to cheat, sometimes I'm fine and other times I will sleep for 6 hours and have migranes. My son is 5 and great and he doesn't cheat and I'm trying to be better! I'm such a comfort eater and all my comforts have gluten so it is really hard for me. My big problem is trying to lose weight. I've gained 30 lbs since the diet and having a hard time losing. I just ran a 1/2 marathon so I exercise regularly, but absorption stinks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest Jemenii36

annie-

Thanks! i felt so abnormal when everyone was saying they don't cheat. And i am not saying i do it often and at times i do it without even realizing it. but it is difficult when everyone you know ism not allergic to gluten. Gluten is everywhere and because i have only been diagnosed about 9 months ago, i'm still finding my ins and outs. congratulations about running the marathon! that is great. It is hard not to gain wain because a lot of the gluten-free food is very high in fat compared to foods containing gluten. but you know what...if you feel good and are much healthier that is what matters in the long run! keep going what your doing...as long as your healthy! i think a lot of people get physical effects as well as internal effects and depends on the person. if i got extremely sick from gluten then i don't think i would ever cheat as well, but i think because you and i don't always get sick we are more proned to cheat.

Jodi Mills Apprentice

I have been gluten free(again) for 3 months, It was longer, but then I cheated, so it doesnt count. On that cheat, I went to taco bell, was totally craving a chalupa. Anyhow I ate it down in seconds, and regretted it for days...since then I have not "cheated" but have been glutened, and even still it is a pain I wouldn't wish on anyone. With that being said, I no longer cheat, I learned my lesson....

I do understand that is is totally tempting though, and there are times at bday partys, or nights out that I want a slice of cake, or a nice cold beer, but i hold off, and go home and eat something gluten free, and drink a red bridge(gluten-free beer) it doesnt taste as good, but I love it cuz I have no other choice.

CCM Rookie

I cheat too! In fact, I am online after having just finished a hot cocoa and Xmas cookies I had hidden in the back of the freezer. It is bittersweet. I have been transitioning to a gluten-free diet this month, and in doing so discovered that I also have a problem with dairy. I was so down about it this afternoon that I felt I needed a private moment with my cocoa and cookies before my son gets home from school. :(

The docs could not confirm celiac by blood test or biopsy, but the food challenge proves a definite intolerance I have been dealing with for years. So I will feel crummy the next 24 hours and wake up determined to try harder tomorrow. I guess this is where a few trips to the local gluten-free support group might come in handy.

darlindeb25 Collaborator

I have been gluten free for 7 1/2 yrs and can honestly say I have never cheated, never even wanted too. I was so sick before going gluten free, that cheating has never been an option for me.

cruelshoes Enthusiast

Sorry to say it, but in the 2.5 years since my diagnosis, I have never cheated, nor wanted to. If you keep eating gluten even though you know it will make you sick, I think it would be very helpful for you to reflect and figure out why. Here are some ideas for you to think about:

- Can't eat family favorites? Post some recipes and we'll help you convert them.

- Gluten-free is not as convenient? We can give you ideas for grab-and-go foods.

- Gluten-free food too expensive? We can give you ideas on how to get the costs down.

- Don't know how to cook tasty gluten-free foods? We can help you find easy, delicious recipes.

- It's hard to eat out? Tell us what you like to eat and we can help you get a safe meal at a safe restaurant.

- Don't know what to eat? We can help you learn to read labels.

- Don't know how seriously sick you can get from eating gluten? Let some of us that nearly died before diagnosis tell you how serious it can get.

- Don't have the will power? We can help you with that too.

Hope this helps.

Guest Jemenii36

CCM and CRUEL SHOES-well you know i think sometimes it just takes some time for people to get in the habit to eat gluten free. but if you find its hard to do it for yourself do it for those who love you because in a way (because we are all allergic to gluten) if we continue to eat it we are killing ourselves and we can't do that to the people who love us :) don't be so hard on yourself...you have to just find ways around it eating gluten. i have made quite delicious cookies that were gluten-free. for example just take the nestle chocolate chip morsels and on the back of the package make their cookies, but just substitue gluten-free with regular flour. no need to get fancy or make it difficult!

thank you for all your help cruel shoes! that is incredibly nice and that is one of the resons i joined this site! is to find people as nice as you and as helpful! :)

dbmamaz Explorer

I wasnt tempted to cheat until I saw a test that said i have to also avoid rice, pork, most fish, almonds, peanuts, walnuts, coffee, hot peppers, onions, eggs ... . now i feel like giving up.

But when it was just gluten and dairy, that was pretty easy. I bought gluten and dairy free choc chips and made AWESOME choc chip cookies, i swear they were better than regular ones. I made pb cookies the kids loved. I made rice crispy bars w grated chocolate and almond butter in it, yum!! And almond milk is the yummiest, try chocolate almond milk warmed in the microwave!

Of course, I never liked bread, so that was easy for me. And I was about to work on my favorite banana bread recipe . . when i got that rice thing ... grrrr.

hez Enthusiast

I have never cheated. Having said that does that mean I haven't been tempted? Of course not. I am surrounded by temptation. I have been able to find my will power through my kids. If they ever get dx with celiac I would like them to think of me as a positive role model. Oh, did I mention I get horrible sick from just slight cc? That helps stay on the straight and narrow as well.

Hez

lovegrov Collaborator

I haven't cheated in more than 6 years, but I also understand that a fair percentage of people with celiac do at some point, whether because they can't resist something or they get trapped in a situation where that's all they have to eat. I have no idea how I would feel physically if I cheated. However, if you do break down and cheat, I wouldn't beat yourself up over it.

richard

larry mac Enthusiast

I've made it over a year now without cheating once. I've briefly considered it, but not seriously. Wouldn't know where to begin. Too many things I miss.

best regards, lm

MrMark Apprentice
...if they cheat? i am definitely celiac, however, there i times when i cheat and feel like crap!...anyone else feel the same??

Feeling like crap is your body informing you that something is harming you. It is strange that other times gluten has no effect on you :huh: I would think it would be worse after some time on a gluten free diet, which it sounds like you are trying to do.

Just cross contamination is enough to take me out for about 3 days. Personally, I don't even consider cheating because gluten makes me physically sick and causes me major depression. Every time you consume gluten you are increasing your chances of developing some other celiac related complications.

ravenwoodglass Mentor

I have been on the diet for over 5 years now. I was close to death before I was diagnosed and even a bit of CC will bring back my arthritis, my migraines, my muscle pain, take away my ability to think and walk and leave me depressed for a couple days and anxious for a couple weeks. At times I am a bit jealous of those who can even consider 'cheating just a little bit'. I have to be so careful of CC and even a small amount effects me so strongly that it just isn't worth it to me. Cheating and CC will keep the anitbodies active and on attack. It is hard at first but it is doable and the diet is a life saver for those of us who need it.

justanotherday Newbie

I'd like to say that you're normal for wanting to cheat... this diet is hard, especially at first. To be honest, if I didn't get so sick from CC, I might feel tempted sometimes, too. :o

But........ we just can't lose focus. Our health depends on it. It's too risky. I really have no desire to have intestinal cancer, thank you very much. Yes, I want a cheeseburger (with a big nasty bun!) so bad I could scream, but I want a million dollars, too, and that isn't going to happen either ;) .

This may sound super weird, but it works for me. I smell my family's food. Put it right up next to my nose and take a good whiff. The smells of familiar comfort foods are almost as good as eating them... now, I did say almost... but it's the best I can do.

Good luck!

jayhawkmom Enthusiast

I went gluten-free shortly after my daughter was dx. I felt great after that first week. I remained gluten-free for several months, and then had one slip. Then another. Then another. Next thing I know... I'm eating gluteny garbage all the time. I started gaining weight, my stomach was bothering me - tremendously - but I kept dismissing it.

I won't make that mistake again.

I've now been completely gluten-free for a month, and I'm feeling so much better. I struggle, but I won't cheat again. Falling back into the *wrong* way of eating happened all too easily. I can't go back there again.

I felt guilt, remorse, and I felt like a failure for my daughter.... who needs to see how important it is to remain on the gluten-free diet. No cakes, cookies, or other tasty treat is worth compromising her health... or mine. Those things can all be made without wheat and the other gluten grains. Sure, it takes longer and it's less convenient, but she's worth it. And, so am I.

Guest Jemenii36

thank you everyone for your input! i appreciate all your comment

tarnalberry Community Regular

if it makes you feel any better, you're actually quite normal for cheating. studies suggest that more than half of celiacs do cheat - this board isn't quite representative as we've got a bunch of people here being proactive about keeping themselves informed and healthy.

but cheating, even as infrequently as once a month, keeps your body from healing, and you might as well not be on the diet at that point.

find alternatives, find your coping mechanisms, find your support. you can do it! but it takes time to learn how.

Judyin Philly Enthusiast

A question comes to mind.

For those who have cheated....even tho no outwards signs of discomfort..........what are your ages? I'm only guessing but bet maybe your younger than most of us who have not cheated.

I've been gluten-free for over 2 1/2 years with MANY other food intolerances........and am 66 and went un-dxd for 20 years and spent those years SO SICK. Sure I went to expert doctors but they just didn't know about it then.

If your in you teens or early 20's I can sure understand how very hard that must be socially. I only wish that I'd known back then and I sure wouldn't be still suffering the effects of eating gluten and other foods for so many years. I can't get those years back.

A dear friend ..........also un dx'd for 20 years even after persisitant doctoring.........has beat lymphoma once only to find it came back the day before this Thanksgiving. :lol: The oncologist said it was the result of untreated celiac. Her chemo will run until Christmas 2008.

Judy

nmw Newbie

Never have cheated. I do not plan on ever consuming gluten voluntarily again. So not worth it.

Archived