- - - - -

How Does Everyone Feel When They Cheat?

• Please log in to reply

59 replies to this topic

#1 Guest_Jemenii36_*

Guest_Jemenii36_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2008 - 09:46 AM

hi everyone! i have been diagnosed with celiac disease about a year ago and was wondering how everyone feels if they cheat? i am definitely celiac, however, there i times when i cheat and feel like crap! but other times i feel completely normal! i know it sounds funny but i wish i would always get some type of reaction so i would never cheat! anyone else feel the same??

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 kbtoyssni

kbtoyssni

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,682 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:25 AM

I don't cheat. My life was so miserable pre-diagnosis that there is no way I would purposely eat gluten. Even if you don't get an outward reaction, you're still doing damage and setting yourself up for a major health issues down the road.
Gluten-Free since September 15, 2005.
Peanut-Free since July 2006.

#3 Phyllis28

Phyllis28

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 785 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:50 AM

If I cheat, I get sick. I don't like getting sick, therefore I don't cheat.
Phyllis

Gluten Free - 30 years

#4 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 10:53 AM

I have not cheated once in 2 1/2 years....I was sick for over 20 years before being diagnosed, and it took probably 2 years before I began to feel "norml" again.

I wouldn't even consider it. ;)

It's true that even if you don't feel any symptoms when you ingest gluten, you are incurring damage to your intestine every time.
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#5 tom

tom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,930 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:05 AM

I don't cheat. My life was so miserable pre-diagnosis that there is no way I would purposely eat gluten.

Same here. Wayyyy too hellish an existence pre-gluten-free.
I plan on zero gluten for the rest of my life.
>>>>>>> tom <<<<<<<

Celiac 1st diagnosed as a toddler, in the 60s. Docs then, between bloodletting & leech-tending, said "he'll grow out of it" & I was back on gluten & mostly fine for 30yrs.

Gluten-free since 12-03
Dairy-free since 10-04
Soy-free since 5-07

#6 blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda

York Fair 2009

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 5,569 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:20 AM

I know this is probably not the answer you are looking to hear but I don't cheat. I do not want to feel that miserble. Sorry.
~~~~Gluten Free since 9/2004~~~~~~

Friends may come and go but Sillies are Forever!!!!!!!

Posted Image

#7 Annie/NM

Annie/NM

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 30 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:25 AM

I have only been gluten-free for a year now too. My son was diagnosed and that's why we all went through the testing. I of course was the only one who had it too and my stomach did have damage on the biopsy. That being said, I did not have major symptoms before going gluten-free. Now, I am a lot like you. If I am really tempted to cheat, sometimes I'm fine and other times I will sleep for 6 hours and have migranes. My son is 5 and great and he doesn't cheat and I'm trying to be better! I'm such a comfort eater and all my comforts have gluten so it is really hard for me. My big problem is trying to lose weight. I've gained 30 lbs since the diet and having a hard time losing. I just ran a 1/2 marathon so I exercise regularly, but absorption stinks!

#8 Guest_Jemenii36_*

Guest_Jemenii36_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2008 - 01:08 PM

annie-
Thanks! i felt so abnormal when everyone was saying they don't cheat. And i am not saying i do it often and at times i do it without even realizing it. but it is difficult when everyone you know ism not allergic to gluten. Gluten is everywhere and because i have only been diagnosed about 9 months ago, i'm still finding my ins and outs. congratulations about running the marathon! that is great. It is hard not to gain wain because a lot of the gluten-free food is very high in fat compared to foods containing gluten. but you know what...if you feel good and are much healthier that is what matters in the long run! keep going what your doing...as long as your healthy! i think a lot of people get physical effects as well as internal effects and depends on the person. if i got extremely sick from gluten then i don't think i would ever cheat as well, but i think because you and i don't always get sick we are more proned to cheat.

#9 bobohead

bobohead

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 104 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 01:52 PM

I have been gluten free(again) for 3 months, It was longer, but then I cheated, so it doesnt count. On that cheat, I went to taco bell, was totally craving a chalupa. Anyhow I ate it down in seconds, and regretted it for days...since then I have not "cheated" but have been glutened, and even still it is a pain I wouldn't wish on anyone. With that being said, I no longer cheat, I learned my lesson....

I do understand that is is totally tempting though, and there are times at bday partys, or nights out that I want a slice of cake, or a nice cold beer, but i hold off, and go home and eat something gluten free, and drink a red bridge(gluten-free beer) it doesnt taste as good, but I love it cuz I have no other choice.
~~Jodi~~

diagnosed celiac around age 6
gluten free from age 6-age 12ish
Gluten free (again) since November 2007

People Say I am on a DIET, I tell them its a LIFESTYLE

#10 CCM

CCM

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 76 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 02:19 PM

I cheat too! In fact, I am online after having just finished a hot cocoa and Xmas cookies I had hidden in the back of the freezer. It is bittersweet. I have been transitioning to a gluten-free diet this month, and in doing so discovered that I also have a problem with dairy. I was so down about it this afternoon that I felt I needed a private moment with my cocoa and cookies before my son gets home from school. :(

The docs could not confirm celiac by blood test or biopsy, but the food challenge proves a definite intolerance I have been dealing with for years. So I will feel crummy the next 24 hours and wake up determined to try harder tomorrow. I guess this is where a few trips to the local gluten-free support group might come in handy.

#11 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 03:51 PM

I have been gluten free for 7 1/2 yrs and can honestly say I have never cheated, never even wanted too. I was so sick before going gluten free, that cheating has never been an option for me.
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#12 cruelshoes

cruelshoes

We've heard nothing at all about the growing tomato menace..

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,059 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:39 PM

Sorry to say it, but in the 2.5 years since my diagnosis, I have never cheated, nor wanted to. If you keep eating gluten even though you know it will make you sick, I think it would be very helpful for you to reflect and figure out why. Here are some ideas for you to think about:

- Can't eat family favorites? Post some recipes and we'll help you convert them.

- Gluten-free is not as convenient? We can give you ideas for grab-and-go foods.

- Gluten-free food too expensive? We can give you ideas on how to get the costs down.

- Don't know how to cook tasty gluten-free foods? We can help you find easy, delicious recipes.

- It's hard to eat out? Tell us what you like to eat and we can help you get a safe meal at a safe restaurant.

- Don't know what to eat? We can help you learn to read labels.

- Don't know how seriously sick you can get from eating gluten? Let some of us that nearly died before diagnosis tell you how serious it can get.

- Don't have the will power? We can help you with that too.

Hope this helps.
-Colleen
Dx 8/05 via bloodwork and biopsy (total villous atrophy)
13-year old son Dx 11/05 via bloodwork and biopsy
Daughters (16 and 5) have tested negative via bloodwork

A woman is like a tea bag - you never know how strong she is until she gets in hot water. - Eleanor Roosevelt

#13 Guest_Jemenii36_*

Guest_Jemenii36_*
  • Guests

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:47 PM

CCM and CRUEL SHOES-well you know i think sometimes it just takes some time for people to get in the habit to eat gluten free. but if you find its hard to do it for yourself do it for those who love you because in a way (because we are all allergic to gluten) if we continue to eat it we are killing ourselves and we can't do that to the people who love us :) don't be so hard on yourself...you have to just find ways around it eating gluten. i have made quite delicious cookies that were gluten-free. for example just take the nestle chocolate chip morsels and on the back of the package make their cookies, but just substitue gluten-free with regular flour. no need to get fancy or make it difficult!
thank you for all your help cruel shoes! that is incredibly nice and that is one of the resons i joined this site! is to find people as nice as you and as helpful! :)

#14 dbmamaz

dbmamaz

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 407 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 04:48 PM

I wasnt tempted to cheat until I saw a test that said i have to also avoid rice, pork, most fish, almonds, peanuts, walnuts, coffee, hot peppers, onions, eggs ... . now i feel like giving up.

But when it was just gluten and dairy, that was pretty easy. I bought gluten and dairy free choc chips and made AWESOME choc chip cookies, i swear they were better than regular ones. I made pb cookies the kids loved. I made rice crispy bars w grated chocolate and almond butter in it, yum!! And almond milk is the yummiest, try chocolate almond milk warmed in the microwave!

Of course, I never liked bread, so that was easy for me. And I was about to work on my favorite banana bread recipe . . when i got that rice thing ... grrrr.
Cara - 42, mom to dd 15, ds 12, ds 4
Off gluten and dairy (and tapioca ;-( ) since 11/07
A.L.C.A.T. test showed over 50 sensitive foods
Celiac panel came back negative.
Regular allergy testing reacted to every inhalant and all but 6 foods.
Slowly adding in foods, started w 19 and now have 25

#15 hez

hez

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 919 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 05:03 PM

I have never cheated. Having said that does that mean I haven't been tempted? Of course not. I am surrounded by temptation. I have been able to find my will power through my kids. If they ever get dx with celiac I would like them to think of me as a positive role model. Oh, did I mention I get horrible sick from just slight cc? That helps stay on the straight and narrow as well.

Hez

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: