59 replies to this topic

#16 lovegrov

lovegrov

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 4,537 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:17 PM

I haven't cheated in more than 6 years, but I also understand that a fair percentage of people with celiac do at some point, whether because they can't resist something or they get trapped in a situation where that's all they have to eat. I have no idea how I would feel physically if I cheated. However, if you do break down and cheat, I wouldn't beat yourself up over it.

richard

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#17 larry mac

larry mac

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 1,197 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 07:39 PM

I've made it over a year now without cheating once. I've briefly considered it, but not seriously. Wouldn't know where to begin. Too many things I miss.

best regards, lm

gluten-free 12-18-06

colonoscopy, upper GI
blood, urine, stool tests, prometheus panel
positive endoscopy/positive duodenal biopsies (severe villous atrophy, high intraepithelial lympocytes)
diagnosed celiac disease by Gastroenterologist Andrew R. Gottesman, 12-18-06

"Sobriety sucks. That's why they invented booze in the first place." Denis Leary - Rescue Me

Beware the chocolate of Chiapa

#18 MrMark

MrMark

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 41 posts

Posted 22 January 2008 - 11:16 PM

...if they cheat? i am definitely celiac, however, there i times when i cheat and feel like crap!...anyone else feel the same??

Feeling like crap is your body informing you that something is harming you. It is strange that other times gluten has no effect on you :huh: I would think it would be worse after some time on a gluten free diet, which it sounds like you are trying to do.

Just cross contamination is enough to take me out for about 3 days. Personally, I don't even consider cheating because gluten makes me physically sick and causes me major depression. Every time you consume gluten you are increasing your chances of developing some other celiac related complications.

#19 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,747 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 04:01 AM

I have been on the diet for over 5 years now. I was close to death before I was diagnosed and even a bit of CC will bring back my arthritis, my migraines, my muscle pain, take away my ability to think and walk and leave me depressed for a couple days and anxious for a couple weeks. At times I am a bit jealous of those who can even consider 'cheating just a little bit'. I have to be so careful of CC and even a small amount effects me so strongly that it just isn't worth it to me. Cheating and CC will keep the anitbodies active and on attack. It is hard at first but it is doable and the diet is a life saver for those of us who need it.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#20 justanotherday

justanotherday

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 10:16 AM

I'd like to say that you're normal for wanting to cheat... this diet is hard, especially at first. To be honest, if I didn't get so sick from CC, I might feel tempted sometimes, too. :o

But........ we just can't lose focus. Our health depends on it. It's too risky. I really have no desire to have intestinal cancer, thank you very much. Yes, I want a cheeseburger (with a big nasty bun!) so bad I could scream, but I want a million dollars, too, and that isn't going to happen either ;) .

This may sound super weird, but it works for me. I smell my family's food. Put it right up next to my nose and take a good whiff. The smells of familiar comfort foods are almost as good as eating them... now, I did say almost... but it's the best I can do.

Good luck!
  • Gluten-free since 6/12/07
  • Positive Blood Test
  • Sjogren's Syndrome
  • DH
  • HLA-DQ 2,3 (Subtype 2,8) DQ2 and DQ8

#21 jayhawkmom

jayhawkmom

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 727 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 10:26 AM

I went gluten-free shortly after my daughter was dx. I felt great after that first week. I remained gluten-free for several months, and then had one slip. Then another. Then another. Next thing I know... I'm eating gluteny garbage all the time. I started gaining weight, my stomach was bothering me - tremendously - but I kept dismissing it.

I won't make that mistake again.

I've now been completely gluten-free for a month, and I'm feeling so much better. I struggle, but I won't cheat again. Falling back into the *wrong* way of eating happened all too easily. I can't go back there again.

I felt guilt, remorse, and I felt like a failure for my daughter.... who needs to see how important it is to remain on the gluten-free diet. No cakes, cookies, or other tasty treat is worth compromising her health... or mine. Those things can all be made without wheat and the other gluten grains. Sure, it takes longer and it's less convenient, but she's worth it. And, so am I.
Jayhawkmom -
Mom of three....
Jay - 11
Bean - 8
Ian - 3

#22 Guest_Jemenii36_*

Guest_Jemenii36_*
  • Guests

Posted 23 January 2008 - 01:44 PM

thank you everyone for your input! i appreciate all your comment

#23 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:04 PM

if it makes you feel any better, you're actually quite normal for cheating. studies suggest that more than half of celiacs do cheat - this board isn't quite representative as we've got a bunch of people here being proactive about keeping themselves informed and healthy.

but cheating, even as infrequently as once a month, keeps your body from healing, and you might as well not be on the diet at that point.

find alternatives, find your coping mechanisms, find your support. you can do it! but it takes time to learn how.
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#24 Judyin Philly

Judyin Philly

Moved to SO CA in November 2010

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,626 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 03:54 PM

A question comes to mind.

For those who have cheated....even tho no outwards signs of discomfort..........what are your ages? I'm only guessing but bet maybe your younger than most of us who have not cheated.

I've been gluten-free for over 2 1/2 years with MANY other food intolerances........and am 66 and went un-dxd for 20 years and spent those years SO SICK. Sure I went to expert doctors but they just didn't know about it then.

If your in you teens or early 20's I can sure understand how very hard that must be socially. I only wish that I'd known back then and I sure wouldn't be still suffering the effects of eating gluten and other foods for so many years. I can't get those years back.

A dear friend ..........also un dx'd for 20 years even after persisitant doctoring.........has beat lymphoma once only to find it came back the day before this Thanksgiving. :lol: The oncologist said it was the result of untreated celiac. Her chemo will run until Christmas 2008.

Judy
Judy in Southern CA

#25 nmw

nmw

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 125 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:08 PM

Never have cheated. I do not plan on ever consuming gluten voluntarily again. So not worth it.

#26 VioletBlue

VioletBlue

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 517 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 05:34 PM

Never cheated. I'm 45. I don't want to die young. Well, okay, some would say that ship has already sailed. But I don't want to die at fifty. There is way too much I want to do with my life to check out that early. My life depends on this diet, and I value life in a way I never have before. I don't know, maybe you do have to be closer to the end than the beginning to treasure every extra day you get.

Violet
"My mother always told me, it's okay to play with a man's mind
as long as you put it back where you got it when you're done with it."

#27 Franceen

Franceen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 06:32 PM

Since I never really had a FORMAL and OFFICIAL via a positive test - at first I duped myself into thinking that the Capn Crunch and Rice Krispies I was eating once per day, weren't "enough" to worry about. I had terrible awful DH, and no "reportable" stomach symptoms at the time. People on this forum chided me and told me that I could be doing damage even without a dx and symptoms. When my DH nearly killed me my Dr told me to go 100% "no-cheat" gluten free and see what happens. I did, with the help of this forum, and it's wonderful, helpful people. And the DH disappeared completely, except for when I accidentally get Glutened (which DOES happen when you travel, eat a restaurants that you don't choose, and get a "glucose free diabetic meal" instead of a "gluten-free meal" on a plane (14 hr flight) and HAVE to try to pick at the most innocent looking items (and then you get Glutened anyway!).
I DO NOT CHEAT.
When I get glutened accidentally, now I get the big D and gas for about 1 - 2 days!
(IHOP scrambled eggs REALLY got me, they didn't tell me they pre-mix pancake batter in the eggs to make them fluffier).

BUT, JUST TODAY, my primary care Dr (not the allergist that finally dx me as "gluten intolerant") told me that my "ketones" were high in my blood and he thinks that my gluten-free diet is harming me in some way, but did NOT think I should really try to go back - but thought that maybe I should challenge the diet and see if my KETONES go down......
Hmmmm. He recommended that I got to a homeopath (odd for a medical dr. to support a homeopath!!) and maybe a nutritionist. Usually ketones are up when you eat no carbs and too much protein! That's not my diet! I eat Dark Snickers and Dark Milkey Way and Reese's as comfort foods! (AND it shows on my hips now too)!

Am

Franceen
Diagnosed DH by Allergist via gluten-free Diet Success
Gluten-free since Dec 2005
Gluten-free works so why keep getting tests?

Neg skin biopsy & Neg bloodwork after gluten-free for 3 months
No Endoscopy - need to eat gluten for good test & won't do it

No other Allergies or major ailments!

#28 Franceen

Franceen

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 23 January 2008 - 06:37 PM

Since I never really had a FORMAL and OFFICIAL DX via a positive test - at first I duped myself into thinking that the Capn Crunch and Rice Krispies I was eating once per day, weren't "enough" to worry about. I had terrible awful DH, and no "reportable" stomach symptoms at the time. People on this forum chided me and told me that I could be doing damage even without a dx and symptoms.
When my DH nearly killed me my Dr told me to go 100% "no-cheat" gluten free and see what happens. I did, with the help of this forum, and it's wonderful, helpful people. And the DH disappeared completely, except for when I accidentally get Glutened (which DOES happen when you travel, eat a restaurants that you don't choose, and get a "glucose free diabetic meal" instead of a "gluten-free meal" on a plane (14 hr flight) and HAVE to try to pick at the most innocent looking items (and then you get Glutened anyway!).I DO NOT CHEAT. When I get glutened accidentally, now I get the big D and gas for about 1 - 2 days! (IHOP scrambled eggs REALLY got me, they didn't tell me they pre-mix pancake batter in the eggs to make them fluffier).
BUT, JUST TODAY, my primary care Dr (not the allergist that finally dx me as "gluten intolerant") told me that my "ketones" were high in my blood and he thinks that my gluten-free diet is harming me in some way, but did NOT think I should really try to go back - but thought that maybe I should challenge the diet and see if my KETONES go down...... Hmmmm. He recommended that I go to a homeopath (odd for a medical dr. to support a homeopath!!) and maybe a nutritionist. Usually ketones are up when you eat no carbs and too much protein! That's not my diet! I eat Dark Snickers and Dark Milkey Way and Reese's as comfort foods! (AND it shows on my hips now too)!
But I often really crave Dunkin Doughnuts, Waffles, Pancakes, and Angel Food Cake!!!!
And Sara Lee Walnut Coffee Ring, and cheescake WITH the crust, and CHINESE FOOD (real stuff like Wonton Soup, egg roll, Lo Mein.....) and Hostess Cupcakes, and German Spaetzel, and more............But never enough to get even close to eating it.

Franceen
Diagnosed DH by Allergist via gluten-free Diet Success
Gluten-free since Dec 2005
Gluten-free works so why keep getting tests?

Neg skin biopsy & Neg bloodwork after gluten-free for 3 months
No Endoscopy - need to eat gluten for good test & won't do it

No other Allergies or major ailments!

#29 Guest_Jemenii36_*

Guest_Jemenii36_*
  • Guests

Posted 24 January 2008 - 06:47 AM

Judy-i am soon to be 21 years old and began a gluten free diet about march of last year. I think I was not clear as to what cheating is, considering the responses. Yes, of course if I got symptoms as bad as some people do then I don't think I would EVER cheat (which is probably about once every two months if not less). And when I do cheat, I don't have a donut or bagel, I will have something such as french fries (CC). Regarding your story, I completley understand because the same thing happened with my mother. She had thyroid Cancer and has an autoimmune disorder where much of the inside of her body is scaring over now, after being on the gluten free diet. Do you think if damage has been done for so long that one will be fighting for their whole life to get healthy? It seems that many people who have been under diagnosed for many many years have so many health issues that their body will have a hard time being 'normal' again. Do you think this is true? Do you think the extraordinary damage that celiac disease has on one's body can be reversed after a certain amount of time?

#30 PaulaHayden

PaulaHayden

New Community Member

• Members
  • Pip
  • 8 posts

Posted 24 January 2008 - 07:48 AM

I was diagnosed 3 years ago...I cheated for quite awhile. However, what I found was that every time I cheated, the reaction got worse. I dont cheat anymore and actually I cannot tolerate many things that I used to be able to in the beginning...kind of screwed myself!
Paula

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: