This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Feeling Frustrated - New Symptoms

CycleFitness

CycleFitness Rookie

<Note: Sorry is this is a duplicate post. I thought I posted this earlier this am, but am not seeing it, so am trying again.>

I've been gluten free for over two months. I did it in response to a recommendation from a chiropractor who suggested I had all the symptoms; painful bloating all the time, very bad gas and belching, severe joint pain, etc. The elimination of gluten from my diet yielded immediate relief from the gas and bloating. I felt completely in control over my GI issues that previously I had discounted as "just the way it is."

The last two days, though, have been very disconcerting. I started work on a new contract. I am a systems analyst and work at the computer. It was not stressful at all. The environment is very friendly and low-key. I was completely comfortable in the situation. I took a left-over turkey burger with me, which had gluten free bread crumbs and cabbage (great recipe). I ate that around 11:00. Then I went out for lunch at 1:00 and had a spinach salad at a restaurant. It had such a wonderful dressing that I didn't even bother to inquire of its contents. By 3:00 I had searing pain in my lower intestine and it was hard as a rock. I got a pounding headache and fatique by 4:00. I went home, took a nap, had soup for dinner, and went to bed. When I woke yesterday I felt a little better. No pain in abdomen and a normal BM (I have one at the same time every morning, so no problem there). I ate normally for breakfast, walked 3.5 miles at lunch, then ate at my desk a homemade chicken salad (with soy mayo) and half of an apple I had brought from home. By 2:00 I was again in searing pain. I kept having to get up from my desk and walk around the office, feeling like I needed to "stretch" the pain away. The difference from the day before is that the pain was worse and it lasted all night and now I've woke within it this morning and have diarrhea.

I feel completely out of control now, whereas before I could control the pain with what I ate, now I haven't really eaten anything that would cause such a problem. Could the salad dressing from Monday still be in my system this morning?

I'm beginning to wonder if this doesn't have something to do with sitting slouched at a computer. These were the same types of pains I used to have every day after lunch that led me to a gluten free diet. To be gluten free and have this episode is very frustrating.

Any thoughts?

Thanks so much.

Deb

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

Guest gfinnebraska

I ate something bad on friday night... hit me HARD on Sunday & Monday. Yes, something with gluten could hit you even harder today than yesterday. I believe all our bodies are going to react at different speeds to things. I react differently depending on the amount of gluten I have accidently ingested. It is going to take a few days to get it totally out of your system. I would NEVER, by the way, eat a dressing anywhere without knowing the ingredients. That is asking for trouble. I always carry a packet of dressing with me. Good luck & hopefully a pain free rest of your week!! ;)

tom Contributor

I've been gluten-free 11 months and also spend a lot of time sitting at a computer. I've had some bad days during that time but never had a reason to think that extended pc use and associated slouched body position was a factor. For one, my pc usage was no different on all the good days/weeks.

I'd expect others will agree that while slouching at a pc may not be ideal for one's back, the episode you had was most likely from something in the dressing.

I like Deb's practice of carrying a packet of gluten-free dressing! No purse for me but maybe i can carry some in the car.

Archived