Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Getting Up All The Time?

7 posts in this topic

I was curious if anyone else had these problems . . . my sleep is constantly interrupted by me having to get up at least 5 times a night to use the rest room. It is horrible because I feel like I am never sleeping. I get up just fine and I survive the day just fine . . . sometimes I am really tired come 9:00 but normally can stay awake until 11:00.

Also, the other problem is the minute I lay down on my back or lay on my left side, my stomach/gut/intestine noises become loud and embarrassing. My husband just looks at me like I have terrible animals fighting in my gut. I constantly go to bed feeling bloated and/or stuffed like I ate too much (which is true sometimes). I am gaining more weight then I would like but I have decreased my amount of exercise and plan to change that soon.

Just curious if anyone experiences this.

Ads by Google:

pturse

I also had that problem, getting up 3-5 times a night to use the restroom. My doctor suggested that this could be caused from other food intolerances and I have tried to really watch my diet besides gluten. I basically have tried to exclude nuts, dairy, corn and gluten and I have stopped getting up at night. This is the first time in years that I have not gotten up to go to the restroom all night and it is great!!!! The other night I ate some popcorn without thinking and I was up half of the night. I also get night sweats and these have stopped unless I eat something I shouldn't.

Hope this helps!

Melissa

*sigh* Sounds like me over the last month. As of this last Monday (3 days) I've given up eating any grains at all (I think it's rice, but I'll check this in a week or so) and I'm being very careful with dairy (I'm only eating yogurt or a little cheese but with the cheese I'm taking a lactaid pill.) So far, I'm feeling much better, even in the daytime. Last night was the first time in weeks I haven't felt the need to take both a pseudophed and motrin before going to sleep and I almost slept through the night (up only twice.)

I'm going along with someone's idea that as we heal, the new intestinal linings are more sensitive and after a while these new problems will go away.

Pseudoephedrine (sudafed) can also be keeping you up at night most people either are made jittery by it or are made tired, you might be a person who gets jittery and can't sleep.......just something to think about.

-Jessica :rolleyes:

Thanks I already am dairy free for the most part because I am lactose intolerant. I can't seem to give up corn and rice though because I am also a vegetarian and w/o those staples, I would be miserable.

What seems to bother my stomach the most, believe it or not, are vegetables! All kinds. They flow right through and the gluten-free soy sauce seems to bother me too sometimes.

Although, I am thankful I slept through last night. Go figure!

Hi! I have been gluten-free for 5 months now. My principal benefits have been better sleep and more energy. I still get up once a night, once in awhile twice if I drank water during the evening, eating fish will also do it sometimes. I have no trouble getting back to sleep or getting to sleep in the first place which I used to have. I am still working on other foods that may bother me. I am on the SCD diet, so am not eating rice, potatoes, yams, etc. Have been experimenting with kefir the past week, using lactase with it since I am also lactose intolerant. I suspect it is giving me trouble, though. I did enjoy the flavor!, but it's not worth it to mess up the holidays. I think the body has to get used to something like that, but this is not the time. The increased energy is a plus. I don't take even naps any more. Once in while I still get drowsy when reading or watching tv. but not as often as I used to. I find when watching reruns, that I recognize that I have seen the beginning, but the ending is brand new to me! Cheers, Ruth

Pseudoephedrin sure will keep you up at night! When I was on it for allergic congestion, I went almost two weeks with little and no sleep. I called the pharmacist and asked him about adverse reactions, since I had just started several new meds, and he told me to stop the pseudoephedrin immediately! It was an adverse reaction, and I can never take it again! Please do not rule out meds as causing some of your problems!