This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Lifelong (under)weight Problem.. Gluten To Blame?

rhubarbarin

rhubarbarin Newbie

I have recently begun to suspect that I have a problem with wheat/gluten. I have weighed the same since I was 16; I am now 22. I have a BMI of about 15. I don't feel too bad, but I don't look healthy. I have tried to gain weight with no sucess. Food goes right through me. Other symptoms I have had throughout my life that sound typical are frequent, soft poops; bloating and sleepiness after eating; CRAZY gas and burping; and migraines and skin afflictions. I was always severely underweight as a child, and didn't grow at all for 3 years. I have always eaten a great deal of wheat/gluten products.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? And did going off gluten help to solve the problem?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Those are all common symptoms. You should probably be tested for it.

• 4 weeks later...
cojaro Newbie
I have recently begun to suspect that I have a problem with wheat/gluten. I have weighed the same since I was 16; I am now 22. I have a BMI of about 15. I don't feel too bad, but I don't look healthy. I have tried to gain weight with no sucess. Food goes right through me. Other symptoms I have had throughout my life that sound typical are frequent, soft poops; bloating and sleepiness after eating; CRAZY gas and burping; and migraines and skin afflictions. I was always severely underweight as a child, and didn't grow at all for 3 years. I have always eaten a great deal of wheat/gluten products.

Has anyone else had a similar experience? And did going off gluten help to solve the problem?

Except for the skin problems, that sounds about like how I was, especially the "CRAZY gas" you speak of. Kinda embarrassing when you can't help the gas and you're in a car with 4 relatives and the realtor! (really embarrassing, actually) I'm 20, and was diagnosed when I was 12. I haven't grown much in my middle and highschool years; I went from a small 4'7" (and 75lbs) in 7th grade to a subaverage 5'3" (and ~105lbs) around 10th grade and probably stand a good 5'3.5" right now. For me, regardless of how I eat, I usually don't gain much. I have noticed that school affects my weight; during the summer I average 105lbs and during the school year I average between 110 and 115lbs. I guess it's the regular eating that puts weight on me. i suggest eating three meals a day, including a hearty breakfast. Vitamins and things like Carnation Instant Breakfast help me. Personally, I strongly suggest taking a multivitamin daily, preferably the 100% and not the supplements; the amount of nutrients you lose while not being gluten-free are great and can lead to malnutrition. I myself looked a little malnourished before going gluten-free.

Good luck! Eating gluten-free today is much easier than it was when I was first diagnosed, so staying gluten-free shouldn't be a problem!

(p.s.- I was a bread fiend also :-P I loved most everything baked, so going gluten-free was a little hard for me, especially since I couldn't have my favorite, French Toast from Perkins)

wowzer Community Regular

That is me on the weight too. I am 53 now and weigh 106. I have been married 33 years and weighed 99 pounds when I got married. I was always the smallest, skinniest,shortest child until high school. Iwas also a late bloomer. I had all sorts of itchy rashes growing up. I have a little sister that is celiac. I can't believe it took so long for me to find out. I have been gluten free since January 1, 2007.

• 3 weeks later...
Spunky007 Apprentice

This is me as well. My BMI was also 15 for long time and I looked like an emaciated freak for most of college. I managed to gain about 10-15 lbs by force feeding massive amounts last year, but haven't been able to pack on any more. Plus, i spend such a large chunk of my life between eating and goign to the bathroom that something must not be right! I feel like the bulemic who doesn't want to be. :(

I am also hoping that gluten might be to blame, but I don't know yet--it's only day 2 of gluten free.

Archived