This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Costco

HAK1031

HAK1031 Enthusiast

so I haven't been to costco since going gluten-free, but I've heard they sell lots of gluten-free products (hopefully for cheaper than the health food store...I hate paying $7 for a box of cereal that only has enough for like 4 bowls) lol so does anyone know what products they often have and where to find them?

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

MNBeth Explorer

I just bought some "Naked Nuggets" from the freezer section. Kinda cute, but I'm not sure I'd buy them again. Might as well just buy... chicken. Tyson individually quick frozen chicken tenderloins are just as easy to fix and cheaper. If my kids were really hankering for nuggets, I might feel differently.

I also get Lara Bars, Trio Bars (fruit and nut type bar,) and Nature Valley Nut Crunch Bars (Peanut Crunch - not all varieties are gluten-free, but this is the only one they carry at our Costco.) And I get El Monterrey Beef Taquitos (frozen.) Never ate them before going gluten-free, but now that I can't have much restaurant food, they hit the spot now and then.

No gluten-free cereal, unfortunately. I get that most cheaply at Trader Joe's or Whole Foods.

We're currently dairy-free, so there might be other things I'm not thinking of 'cause I can't have 'em. (They have soy milk, but not almond milk, which is what we drink.) Some Costcos apparently have Crunchmaster gluten-free Crackers, but not mine.

I won't try to say where things are, 'cause they love to move everything around every now and then!

Mostly, though, I go there for milk (for the rest of the fam.,) eggs, meats, fruits & veggies.

MNBeth Explorer

Oops; got distracted & double posted.

JennyC Enthusiast

I would avoid buying their brand of products. My son's babysitter uses their dish soap and when I called them to find out if it's gluten free they told me I would need the UPC code or at least the location and date of purchase. They recommended that I call about each item every time. They also did not seem very knowledgeable regarding gluten.

JNBunnie1 Community Regular
I would avoid buying their brand of products. My son's babysitter uses their dish soap and when I called them to find out if it's gluten free they told me I would need the UPC code or at least the location and date of purchase. They recommended that I call about each item every time. They also did not seem very knowledgeable regarding gluten.

Yikes. That's a little wacky.

cruelshoes Enthusiast

We use our costco card a lot! Things I have purchased there in the last few months include (I also included the prices if I could remember them):

Yopliat yogurt

cheese, shredded and block

lunchmeat

string cheese

sugar

brown rice

jasmine rice

corn tortillas

fresh salmon

Larabars ($17.59 for a case of 18 bars)

Produce - their stock is top notch, but make sure it's something you will eat before it goes bad)

Butter

Egg substitute (the Kirkland brand is gluten-free)

Ground beef (5# leanest ground beef frozen in 1# chubs for $11 something)

Boneless skinless chicken breasts (Kirkland brand for $2.29/lb)

Canned goods like peaches, tomatoes, etc

Kids vitamins (Kirkland brand is marked gluten-free, and much less expensive than the other brands)

Mr. Krispers chips (marked gluten-free on the package)

Phyllis28 Apprentice

Their are many items at Costco that are gluten free. Many of the Kirkland branded items are just larger versions of a brand that can be found in the grocery store. Examples are:

Kirkland corn tortillas - Marked gluten free and made by Mission (marked gluten free on the bag)

Kirkland Chicken Toquitos - Made by El Montery. I saw this on a gluten free list but it should be double checked.

Kirkland Boneless skinless chicken breast. In So. Cal. the brand is Foster Farms.

I do not check with Costco on the gluten free status. I check with the actual company that made the food if there is a question about the ingredients.

I buy the following items at Costco on a regular basis:

Fresh Whole Produce

Fresh Meat

Fresh Chicken

Dove Shampoo and Conditioner

Olive oil

Bushes Beans (regular)

Sun Vista Pinto Beans

Colgate Toothpaste

Crest Toothpaste

Kirkland Garlic Powder

Milk

Rice

Nature Made Vitamins and supplements

Kirkland brand Vitamins

Pre-cooked chicken - labeled gluten free

Since a food manufacturer can change the ingredients at anytime read the label each time you buy a product.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

larry mac Enthusiast

Why would dish soap have gluten? I've never worried about non-food items, but I just have the regular Celiac, and as far as I know haven't had a problem with non-food items.

Does you're son have DH?

best regards, lm

JennyC Enthusiast
Why would dish soap have gluten? I've never worried about non-food items, but I just have the regular Celiac, and as far as I know haven't had a problem with non-food items.

Does you're son have DH?

best regards, lm

For a while my son was having some "bathroom issues" and I was racking my brain for any possible causes. I was concerned about the scents and additives containing gluten. It's not THAT strange. Others recently posted that Palmolive won't confirm or deny gluten in their products. ;)

• 1 year later...
sicl4015 Rookie

:rolleyes: Soaps, Shampoos, Conditioners and Massage Oils all can contain "hydrolyzed wheat protein".

It is true, gluten can not be absorbed through the skin. Therefore is TECHNICALLY not a probem for Celiacs.

HOWEVER, if the gluten is on the skin/hair, it can get on the fingers, then, in the mouth, then in the gut.

I have found products with wheat and regular oats, in all of the items listed above.

Now, I always check with the products manufacturer if there is no "gluten-free" labeling, or if gluten does not appear in the ingredient list.

S

• 6 years later...
The Five I's Newbie

This forum post came up when I Google searched Kirkland Dish Soap. I called them today and they said there is no gluten in the dish soap. :)

Janis 

Archived