4 replies to this topic

#1 dmchr4

dmchr4

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 18 December 2004 - 09:40 PM

Well, 8yo dd has been eating a little bit better the last few days. I've been trying to give her more bland foods and I wonder if she may have been getting some contamination.

But the last three days or so she's told me that she gets a weird feeling that starts in her feet and moves quickly up through her whole body. She says it feels like ice going up her body. Is this a celiac thing too? She's told me this has happened about 3 or 4 times. Could she have a few more weird things happen to her??

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 03:54 AM

<_< its hard to tell what that means without feeling how she means i guess--it could mean there is something else wrong or it could be that she is having a reaction to some other food intolerance--my soy intolerance reacted differently then my wheat does--i would just keep an eye on her now and occasionally ask her if it is still happening :) deb
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#3 FreyaUSA

FreyaUSA

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 249 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 07:05 AM

It could be from the celiac disease. There are quite a few people here that have had some degree of nerve damage caused by gluten (it runs in my family.) It usually effects the extremities: hands up arms, feet up legs. Numbness, tingling, pain are the usual descriptions, though. Did she ever have this happen before going gluten-free? If so, it could be just a number of things happening that are causing it to flare up (even a withdrawel symptom or maybe an accidental gluten ingestion?) However, if she didn't, like Deb said, it could be caused by something else. (Fyi, if it is gluten related, it shouldn't get worse and, over time, should heal as she stays gluten-free.)

#4 judy05

judy05

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 11:36 AM

I had a weird reaction when I first started to go gluten-free.
Everytime I consumed rice I would get an overall
body chill to the point I would shiver and have to
wrap up in a heavy blanket. To some extent I
still get it especially this winter, I am constantly
adjusting the thermostat.

The one resolution, which was in my mind long before it took the form of a resolution, is the key-note of my life. It is this,always to regard as mere impertinences of fate the handicaps which were placed on my life almost at the beginning. I resolved that they should not crush or dwarf my soul, but rather be made to blossom, like Aaron's rod, with flowers-Helen Keller

Judy- Gluten Intolerant

#5 dmchr4

dmchr4

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 36 posts

Posted 01 January 2005 - 05:25 PM

Well, she never mentioned having this before going gluten-free. Now it seems like it's been happening more frequently. I'll have to pay better attention to when it happens and if it is food related.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: