2 replies to this topic

#1 BamBam

BamBam

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 312 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 10:29 AM

I am still learning all this gluten stuff, but I want to share with you what happened to my wife this past week. Monday and Tuesday were just every day normal days, work, activiteis etc. On Wednesday she decided to have a big bowl of Honeycomb cereal. She has eaten it in the past, thinking it was okay, even though it had oat flour in it. Well, let me tell you, I thought I was gonna lose her for good this time. Thursday morning was fine, about 3 p.m. on Thursday she had a bout of diarrhea, but just figured it was nerves, she had a doc appointment that day. Friday was worse, more diarrhea and her depression liked kicked into overtime. Everything overwhelmed her. Our house is in a mess right now with the holidays and just not being home, and she was just totally overwhelmed with two or three little projects. Cooking a meal was out of the question, she could not concentrate on anything. Friday night she didn't sleep well and Saturday I didn't know what to do with her, she had bad dreams, her anxiety and depression was full speed ahead. She wasn't eating her meals like she had been and couldn't concentrate on anything, just not a good day. Mid afternoon, she started coming back to reality. I am not joking at all here, she calmed down a lot. She went with me to some ballgames to sell concessions and she really enjoyed herself and today, Sunday is a totally new ball game, she slept well, and has the energy and the want to to do some of the normal activities.
Could this have all been due to eating a bowl of cereal with gluten?
Montana
Self-diagnosed after many tests and no results to feel better
Gluten Free since 8-6-2005
Lactose free for many years
Casein Free since 02/14/06

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 judy05

judy05

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 304 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 11:43 AM

Yes,

After being gluten-free for 6 months I tried a bowl of oatmeal.
About 6 hours later the pain and diarrhea started,
I was in the bathroom all night, My husband wanted
to take me to the ER but I was too sick to go. I
was not myself for 3 days, he cooked for me and
I gradually got better but I will never knowingly eat
oats again.

The one resolution, which was in my mind long before it took the form of a resolution, is the key-note of my life. It is this,always to regard as mere impertinences of fate the handicaps which were placed on my life almost at the beginning. I resolved that they should not crush or dwarf my soul, but rather be made to blossom, like Aaron's rod, with flowers-Helen Keller

Judy- Gluten Intolerant

#3 celiac3270

celiac3270

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,263 posts

Posted 19 December 2004 - 01:33 PM

Sure...that sounds very possible and actually, quite likely if she's a symptomatic celiac who has been avoiding gluten for a little while. Often, if a celiac has been off of gluten for a long time, reactions to gluten, even traces, are very harsh. Additionally, the symptoms could appear worse than before since you're not used to seeing them. Anyway, her reaction doesn't seem at all unusual.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: