2 replies to this topic

#1 holdthegluten

holdthegluten

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 01:26 PM

last night when i got home from work I had something really scary happen............I just gave my son a bath and all of a sudden my legs got really weak and they started shaking uncontrollably, then my stomach and legas were shaking............i thought it was low blood sugar, so i ate a banana and drank some juice.......i tested my blood sugar and it was 80 after the banana, but I was still shaking and weak, my heart was also racing and i got a really warm sensation in my chest, neck an face when this all started........i did go quite a while without eating, but it was weird that i still had the symptoms even after my blood sugar was normal..............it went away after about 30 minutes.......I read about hyper thyroidism and the symptoms are pretty much dead on, even the gritty eyes feeling. Today I had a mild case of the legs weakness, but not shaking. My blood sugar was 68 and i ate plenty of food to keep it above that. Do you think I have a thyroid problem and its making it difficult to control my blood sugar? I am lost? Do these two go hand in hand?
28 yr old Male
Diagnosed Celiac in February 2007
Gluten-free/Casein Free
HLA DQ 2,3 Subtype (2,8) I have both celiac genes!
Married
1 child 9 months- Levi

Yeast/Bacteria overgrowth
" CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS AND THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"
Wayne Dyer

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 2kids4me

2kids4me

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 933 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 02:22 PM

symptoms of hyperthyroidism do include a racing heart as the heart rate is increased, also weight loss and elevated temperature are not uncommon,
What you described is a severe hypoglycemic event.
The shakiness and sensations you describe are related to an adrenalin release. It is not unusual that your blood sugar was still low after the juice and banana and that it took 30 mins for the feelings to pass..
Easiest way to explain it is in point form:

blood sugar drops to critical level and body reacts
adrenalin is released in order to mobilize glycogen from storage in the liver
adrenalin causes increased heart rate and sweating - often followed by chills
low blood sugar creates muscle weakness / cloudy thinking, unable to think straight
food is eaten - but because of the hypoglycemia blood has been shunted from the intestine to the brain and vital organs. Absorbtion of food is slower
this shunting of blood may cause nausea
stomach has to digest food and send it small intestine before the carbs can be utilized by body
because of adrenalin release and whole body response to hypoglycemia - it can take 30 - 45 minutes before the body stops "yelling for food"...

Often in diabetics a severe low leads ot a somoygi effect - where the blood sugar skyrockets after a low - this leads to lethargy and a crappy feeling

http://www.diabetess.../Somogyi_Effect
Somogyi effect,
When blood glucose levels drop too low, the body sometimes reacts by releasing counterregulatory hormones such as glucagon and epinephrine. These hormones spur the liver to convert its stores of glycogen into glucose, raising blood glucose levels. This can cause a period of high blood sugar following an episode of hypoglycemia

Thyroid problems are commonly associated with diabetes and celiac. If your heart rate is normal at other times and you are not suffering from insomnia and weight loss - then chances are your thyroid is fine and what you experienced was a severe hypoglycemic event. What you described is exactly what I experience during a severe hypoglycemia, including the time it takes to feel fully recovered.

Keeping dextrose tablets on hand would be wise as they are absorbed as soon as you put them in your mouth - the body does not need to digest it or break it down before "using it".
If you are concerned about your thyroid - you can ask to be checked.. and make sure they check more than just the TSH and T4...they should run a comprehensive thryoid panel that also checks for antibodies to the thyroid, as well as T3 levels. Also a hyperthyroid individual usually but not always has an enlarged thyroid / or nodules on it.
Are you diabetic as well - or hypoglycemic ?- is that why you havea glucose meter?
Sandy

Type 1 diabetes - 1986
hypothyroid -1993
pernicious anemia
premature atrial beats
neuropathy
retinopathy
daughter is: age 15
central hypotonia and developmental delay
balance issues (rides an adult 3 wheel bike)
hypothyroid 1996
dermatographia - a form of angioedema 2002
celiac 2004 - by endoscopy
diagnosed Aspergers at age 7 - responded very well (HUGE difference) to gluten-free diet
recovered from Kawasaki (2003)
lactose intolerant - figured out in Oct/06
Gilberts syndrome (April/07)
allergy to stinging insects
scoliosis Jan 2008
nightshade intolerance - figured out April 2008
allergy to Sulfa antibiotics

son is 13
type 1 diabetic - 2003 diagnosed on his 9th birthday
celiac - 2004 by endoscopy
lactose intolerant - figured out Nov/06

#3 holdthegluten

holdthegluten

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 375 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 03:32 PM

I am not diabetic or hypoglycemic............I have a meter because my wife thought she was having blood sugar issues and so we got one..........I didnt eat for 7 hrs and then had a dr pepper because i was feeling a little faint.........i was with clients one after another and didnt have time to eat. I hope it was just a one time thing. Today I checked my blood sugar and it was 68 and i ate really good........what would cause a sudden difficulty in maintaining blood sugar.
28 yr old Male
Diagnosed Celiac in February 2007
Gluten-free/Casein Free
HLA DQ 2,3 Subtype (2,8) I have both celiac genes!
Married
1 child 9 months- Levi

Yeast/Bacteria overgrowth
" CHANGE THE WAY YOU LOOK AT THINGS AND THE THINGS YOU LOOK AT CHANGE"
Wayne Dyer

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: