This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Help Celiac.com:
    eNewsletter
    Donate

New Here, Results From Metametrix And Looking For Advice

chamade

chamade Newbie

Hello all,

I just got the celiac panel results that my doctor ordered from Metametrix. I am seeing the doctor in a month

so I thought I'd ask you guys for advice in the meantime.

The numbers are:

transglutaminase (IgA-tTG) <20 Weak Positive

antigliadin antibody (IgA-AGA) 8 Negative

What I don't understand is that in the explanation it says this:

Negative <20

Weak Positive 20-30

Moderate to strong positive >30

So did they make an error by writing Weak Positive next to my <20 result or am I reading it wrong?

How does this result look?

My symptoms are mainly neurological: tingling/burning in limbs, muscle twitching. The onset was sudden but I have

had little stabbing pains in my toes for year...never worried too much about it, also anxiety etc...basically my nervous

system is in hyperdrive.

I used to have more symptoms but they went away with Lyme treatment. I tested positive for that and have been

under antibiotics for almost a year now. However the paresthesias and twitching are not going away so my doctor is looking at other possibilities (viruses, gluten).

I have gone gluten free 4 weeks ago and I noticed a substantial decrease in flatulence and my stool is better then it ever was, but the neurological symptoms have not improved.

Any advice for any other tests I can do to confirm/eliminate Celiac disease?

thanks!

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

hayley3 Contributor

Can't help you with the tests results but I also have the pain in the toes.

Do you have it in both toes? I've had this symptoms for about a month and it is really painful.

nora-n Rookie

Looks like to me above 20 since the 20 is on the open side of the <.

The transglutaminase test is pretty specific for celiac, but weak positives are not so specific. I just read several articles on that. If yours were above 30, the doctor would have sent you to an endoscopy. Now you are in the maybe-section for full-blown celiac, or in te latent section.

The doctors should have ordered the total IGA too and the endomysial antibody test, which almost only is postitive in full-blown celiac. Some only have that one show up postitive.

In any case, he cannot send you to an endoscopy now that you are gluten-free, as the gut heals quickly and the results will maybe be negative. You have to go back on gluten, and a lot of gluten, to get a definitive result .

Of course, you can still stay gluten-free but there may be problems with family etc believing you without a definitive diagnosis.

nora

mftnchn Explorer

Yes, now that you are gluten free the other blood tests and biopsy used to check for celiac will most likely be negative.

Many of us are in this situation, we don't have a definite diagnosis according to these standards. Some doctors will give a clinical diagnosis based on dietary response. You can have the gene tests, but having the most common genes for celiac doesn't mean you have the disease.

Some of us have gone the Enterolab route, with stool testing that can be done up to a year after going gluten free. This does not diagnose celiac, but does pick up gluten sensitivity.

Some people have found their gluten sensitivity to be temporary due to other issues that have attacked the GI tract causing dysbiosis.

chamade Newbie

Thanks for the responses...by the way there is a total IGA in the test:

Total Immunoglubulin A = 219 104-522 mg/dL

From what I understand this is totally non specific buit the overall results are more accurate if total IGA in under 10.

chamade Newbie

Hello...I have had occasional stabbing pains in my toes/fingers since I was 18...I am 28 now.

This was really nothing major and since I have mild scoliosis I always attributed it to that.

Little did I know what was I in for when the tingling, excruciating burning, eye pains, headaches, fatigue

etc. started.

With these neuro symptoms you should check out other causes besides gluten, such as lyme, mycoplasma and

viruses...and don't let anyone tell you that you need to remember a tick bite or have had a rash to be

infected.

Can't help you with the tests results but I also have the pain in the toes.

Do you have it in both toes? I've had this symptoms for about a month and it is really painful.

Archived