9 replies to this topic

#1 teamworkjr

teamworkjr

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 18 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:01 PM

Am eager to cover up my newly sprouting gray hairs. Does anyone know of a gluten-free hair color or highlight? Please help!! I'm graying up by the minute!

Thanks!

Jennifer

DX 1/07
2 sons, both gene +, antibody neg. for now

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 Guest_j_mommy_*

Guest_j_mommy_*
  • Guests

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:12 PM

I don't check my hair color. It's a personal choice and goes along with the TP, lotions, shampoo ect.

I have been gluten-free since April and my blood work was clear at 6 months and haven't had any flare ups either. So I don't think it(hair color ect) affects me.

That said I do not have DH....I think that people with that tend to be more sensitive to topicals.

#3 jmengert

jmengert

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 07:51 PM

I get my hair professionally colored, and my hair dresser uses Paul Mitchell hair color. I think they're all gluten-free (I don't know how many types they make...), but I would double-check (everything she's ever used on me is gluten-free). She called the hotline for me and asked about which of their products were gluten-free, and she said their customer service was extremely helpful. I also use some of their hair products that are gluten-free (there is a list somewhere on this forum of those).

Good luck! I hope your hair dresser carries Paul Mitchell!
*Julie*
Gluten free since December 2004
Soy free since June 2005
Dairy free since July 2006

#4 celiacgirls

celiacgirls

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 356 posts

Posted 01 February 2008 - 08:13 PM

I have my hair professionally colored with Wella products. I called and they are gluten free but they can't guarantee they are free from cc because they don't know what was bottled right before their products.
Karen

gluten free 4/06
casein free 7/06
DQ1, DQ8

Daughter (11) gluten free 5/06, casein free 6/06

Daughter (9) gluten free 3/06, casein free 7/06, soy free, trying peanut free
vegetarian
gluten lite on and off since 1999

All dx'ed by Enterolab

#5 ravenwoodglass

ravenwoodglass

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 13,792 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:04 AM

I use Herbatint and love it. It is an herbal tint and comes in both permanent and temporary forms (note: I have not checked the temporary forms for gluten statis). The thing I like most about them is you can mix just what you need and safe the rest for later use. I found the tint at Wegmans and also at my local health food store. The health food store doesn't carry it regularly but they order it when I need it so even if you don't see it in yours ask and they may be able to get it for you.
One last caution, the tint has a sample of their conditioner called Royal Creme that sample is NOT gluten free, I just toss it into my 'donation bag' for my local thrift store.
Courage does not always roar, sometimes courage is the quiet voice at the end of the day saying
"I will try again tommorrow" (Mary Anne Radmacher)

celiac 49 years - Misdiagnosed for 45
Blood tested and repeatedly negative
Diagnosed by Allergist with elimination diet and diagnosis confirmed by GI in 2002
Misdiagnoses for 15 years were IBS-D, ataxia, migraines, anxiety, depression, fibromyalgia, parathesias, arthritis, livedo reticularis, hairloss, premature menopause, osteoporosis, kidney damage, diverticulosis, prediabetes and ulcers, dermatitis herpeformis
All bold resoved or went into remission with proper diagnosis of Celiac November 2002
Some residual nerve damage remains as of 2006- this has continued to resolve after eliminating soy in 2007

Mother died of celiac related cancer at 56
Twin brother died as a result of autoimmune liver destruction at age 15

Children 2 with Ulcers, GERD, Depression, , 1 with DH, 1 with severe growth stunting (male adult 5 feet)both finally diagnosed Celiac through blood testing and 1 with endo 6 months after Mom

Positive to Soy and Casien also Aug 2007

Gluten Sensitivity Gene Test Aug 2007
HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 1 0303

HLA-DQB1 Molecular analysis, Allele 2 0303

Serologic equivalent: HLA-DQ 3,3 (Subtype 9,9)

#6 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 04:16 AM

Sorry jmengert--every Paul Mitchell product I touched at the hair dresser a few weeks ago, contained gluten, it was listed clearly on the product, such as: wheat germ! Paul Mitchell is not safe for celiac's.

I use Garnier Nutrisse and have for several years. I have used L'Oreal and Herbal Essense, but prefer Garnier Nutrisse, but then I stick to the same color all the time, I just like to keep the gray covered.
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

#7 jerseyangel

jerseyangel

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 20,939 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 06:05 AM

I use Loreal--there is no gluten in the Feria or the Exact Match. B)
Patti

"Life is what happens while you're busy making other plans"

"When people show you who they are, believe them"--Maya Angelou

"Bloom where you are planted"--Bev

#8 jmengert

jmengert

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 461 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 07:26 AM

Oh, there are a lot of Paul Mitchell products with gluten, but they also have many without, and the gluten is always clearly listed. I've been using them for a year without problems, and I am super sensitive, so the ones I'm using are fine.
*Julie*
Gluten free since December 2004
Soy free since June 2005
Dairy free since July 2006

#9 Guest_j_mommy_*

Guest_j_mommy_*
  • Guests

Posted 02 February 2008 - 08:28 AM

Not all Paul Mitchell products have gluten.

Awaphui shampoo and contioner and styling products don't have gluten.

Shampoo One does contian wheat germ oil.

I use both but there are some P.M. products that don't contain gluten for those who still want to use it!

#10 darlindeb25

darlindeb25

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,324 posts

Posted 02 February 2008 - 03:16 PM

Ok, I stand corrected about some Paul Mitchell Products, all the ones I checked out had gluten in them. I'm glad your haircolor is gluten free.
Deb
Long Island, NY

Double DQ1, subtype 6

We urge all doctors to take time to listen to your patients.. don't "isolate" symptoms but look at the whole spectrum. If a patient tells you s/he feels as if s/he's falling apart and "nothing seems to be working properly", chances are s/he's right!

"The calm river of your life approaches the rocky chute of the rapids - flow on through. You are the same water. The rocks cannot hurt you. Remember, now and then, that you are the water and not the boat. Flow on!

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: