Get email alerts Get Celiac.com E-mail Alerts  

Celiac.com Sponsor:
Celiac.com Sponsor:

Ads by Google:

Get email alerts  Subscribe to FREE Celiac.com email alerts

Need Help Regarding Gestational Diabetes Test

5 posts in this topic

Hi,

I need some help and advise please about doctors and hospitals in general.

1. Should my OB be at least acknowledging that I have celiacs and that I need all medications checked for gluten? To date, to request that the medication be gluten free is answered with "talk to the pharmasict". When I forced the issue, she literally, just called my pharmasict and had them look it up.

My questions about the labor and delivery regarding medications given was answered with we'll send you to anestheiology early to talk to them. Well, when I talked to them, they could not answer ANYTHING on the celiac issue and passed me to the hospital pharmasicts. When I talked to the pharmasicts I was given the number to a dietician and told to look up the medications on line.

2. I am very concerned about the delivery. I am extremely afraid that the doctors/nurses will not watch or verify that the products they give me are gluten-free. My chart lists "celiac" needs "gluten free medication and food", but that seems not to matter.

3. The Qwest lab performing the diabetes test is of no help.

My doctor's nurse called to tell me that my gestational Diabetes test at the OB's office came back high and I need to take the next level of test at the lab. She said there was a three day diet to follow and then a fast and testing at Qwest labs. (I had just spent that visit explaining celiacs to this nurse and the PA and was assured that everything was fine and could be worked out.)

Well the diet she sent is loaded every meal with Gluten. Some of the items I can substitute easily and some I cannot. So I called the nurse and explained the problem. I thought she would be able to discuss options or changes within the diet. (Switch this for that type thing) The nurse couldn't answer anything and had the doctor call back. The doctors answer was "just eat what you normally eat and then fast the night before the test". If this is the case then why do they stress the importance of following the three day diet??

Am I freaking out about nothing here??? Does everyone else get the same run around??? If I had a peanut or egg allergy would I be treated differently??? I believe the answer is YES.

PLEASE HELP! I'm in Atlanta, GA if that matters.

Ads by Google:

I think the reason for the three day diet is to at least provide some guidelines. If they told everyone "eat whatever", the test may not help. The diet gives you guidelines for the type of foods you ought to eat. If the doctor gave you the OK to eat as normal, then I'd do that.

I'm sorry you're having a rough time of it, and having not been there I can't offer advice, only support. Hopefully, if you keep being persistent, they'll respond to you. You may want to note, when talking to them, that they are legally responsible for accomodating this condition - and they have notification of it since it's in your file. If they understand that there are legal ramifications, it may scare them into being helpful. :-)

I don't know whether it's just me, but I've never expected the doctor to know whether a med is gluten-free. I find that out myself. This is, however, tougher if you're in the hospital. The hospital pharmacy should be able to check it out.

One thing you can quit worrying about is anything injected or IV. They will not have gluten.

richard

Maybe I am just having a bad week of it and I don't mean to rant.

Actually I don't expect the doctor to know everything about Celiacs or to do all of the research. However, I do expect to be taken seriously and I do expect some level of concern and guidance for the safety of the patient. My primary care doctor is a PA and he looks everything up and states this should be OK, but double check with the pharmacy. If he could deliver the baby I'd consider that at this point because at least he attempts to deal with the Celiacs.

This is not my first problem with this OB doctor regarding misinformation or lackadaisical response to issues.

The hospital pharmcist was no help whatsoever. He is the one who told me to call the dietician. Still trying to get in touch with that person.

HI

Im so sorry it seems no one is responding right to your needs. I think the more of us dxed with this the more doctors, etc will learn.

I looked on google it says the 3 day diet prior to the test is a 150 gram of carbs a day diet........ so maybe if you just make up your own celiac diet limiting carbs to 150 then youll be on the same track.It seems to say 150 is the amount of carbs to be eaten by an average person so they dont start loosing fat.The nurse shouldve known this- but I guess maybe she just hands out the diet and doesnt really know the reason for it.

good luck