This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Where Your Contribution Counts!
    eNewsletter
    Support Us!

Gfcf

mushimushi2004

mushimushi2004 Rookie

Hello, I am new and very glad to find this forum. I was diagnosed gluten-free about 2 years ago. Now I am wondering if I am also casein intolerant. Does anyone one know what amount of casein is in each dairy product. For instance is there more casein in milk than cream. Could someone post a web site with this info. I have searched but can't find anything. Those of you that are casein sensitive, are there some casein products that you can eat over others? I may be just sensitive, co I am trying to do an elimination diet and try to eat dairy one product at a time to see if there is one product over another that is worse for me. I do seem to be able to eat some white cheese but not kefir that I have made or yoghurt.

Del

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

tarnalberry Community Regular

Look at the protein content of the dairy foods - the higher the protein content, the more casein in it. (Since casein is the main protein in dairy.) I'm Gluten-free Casein-free and seem to pretty much not tolerate much casein at all.

burdee Enthusiast

Del:

An easy way to determine if you are casein (milk protein) or lactose (milk sugar) intolerant is to use 'lactaid' chewable tablets before consuming any dairy or use "Lactose free milks". If those lactaid supplements prevent your 'dairy symptoms, then you just have lactose intolerance. If not, you problably have casein intolerance. My casein intolerance was diagnosed by Enterolabs with their tests which indicated casein antibodies. So, just like gluten to which my body creates antibodies, I cannot tolerate ANY casein. Most people I know with casein intolerance cannot tolerate ANY. Perhaps you should consider getting a test for casein intolerance to determine for sure whether you have that.

BURDEE

Guest gfinnebraska

Del ~ I recently came to the same conclusion as you. I knew about the gluten, but not the casein. I have been dairy free for a little over 3 weeks. WELL, I made peas the other night with dinner and didn't even think about the butter I put on them. Ugh! I ate them and THEN thought about it. WELL, sure enough ~ major reaction!!! At least I am sure now that it is casein also, not just gluten. Like I say ~ knowledge is a wonderful thing!! It is worth trying to eventually feel great in this world. :) I now use a soy "butter" ~ Smart something. My mind is blank. It really tastes great ~ I have also sub. ice cream with Edy's Sorbet ~ wonderful product!! I still crave cheese on my hamburger patty, but that is life! I use Silk soy milk on my cereal ~ not bad at all!! The choc. Silk is wonderful!! I have been feeling great since leaving the dairy out. Let us know how it goes. :rolleyes:

Isabellamac Newbie

Hello

I found a good site that answers just the questions you wonder about, Del.

Look at

Open Original Shared Link

If that long address doesn't work, look on Google, putting Steve Carper in the search box. The first possibility that comes up is the one you want.

The site is very informative about problems with dairy. For instance I learned that butter has hardly any lactose in it!

Worth a look...

Isabella

burdee Enthusiast

Isabella:

Lactose. which is milk SUGAR. is just one component of dairy. Many celiacs whose intestines react by forming antibodies to gluten also react by forming antibodies to CASEIN or milk protein. Dairy also includes whey and rennet components. Some celiacs can tolerate casein but not lactose. Others can't tolerate any components of cow's milk. Goat's milk also contains casein which causes casein intolerance.

BURDEE

• 2 weeks later...
mushimushi2004 Rookie

I got lost and couldn't find my way back!LOL! Thanks to all of you that came to my aid with some answers for me. That was a big reminder for me to remember that the casein was the protein and to just find out how much protein was in the various dairy products! DUH! Which I did and discovered there was .4 grams per 100 grams of protein in butter. I was also diagnosed by Enterlabs with Gluten Intolerance. I don't have the report in front of me but I don't think the report said that I WAS casein intolerant but that "most gluten intolerant people are also casein intolerant and it would be best if I did eliminate all dairy". Well I have continued to have some dairy. I really can't see that it bothers me that much. Some I can do and others I cannot. I have been having raw colby cheese on an also daily basis with seemingly no problems. Of all the dairy products that seem to bother me the most its kefir and yoghurt (I don't even think about milk). I would think that cultured products would be okay. What would the symptoms be for casein intolerant? What about being just casein sensitive to some amounts of casein? I was doing fine before Thanksgiving but I must have eaten something that set me off because I am just now starting to be better. I stopped eating just about everything! I went on the 5 major lectins elimination diet! I hope you guys can make heads or tails out of this rambleling. I will see about doing the test Burdee suggested to see if it is casein or lactose that bothers me.

Del

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

• 4 weeks later...
donnalois Newbie

Some Autistic websites now claim that these children respond better to a gluten-free and cassein free diet. You may find some recipies that are both gluten-free and cassein free if you looked on autistic support groupsites. My daughter is also gluten-free and C/F but not autistic. We use a soy based powdered baby formula for any recipe calling for milk powder and it is an easy way to have a milk substitute in the house for making waffles etc. from scratch.

Donna

Kitchener

• 2 weeks later...
sfortney Newbie

My four year old son is on a gluten and casein free diet. We use Tofutti brand cream cheese, sour cream, and cheeses (Canadian Company). Silk brand soymilk is both casein and gluten free and is actually pretty good, just takes a little getting used to. We use Earth Balance's Soy Garden buttery spread and really like it. Also, I use Isomil baby formula (soy) in place of milk powder and almond meal in place of buttermilk powder. Some people use Soymage brand cheeses, but it is very difficult to find them in our area and my son likes Tofutti better anyway. It can be extremely overwhelming, but after a while making the substitutions becomes a lot easier. Hope this info was at least a little helpful. Post if I can be of any more help.

mushimushi2004 Rookie

Well, I have had something major happen to my gut. As yet don't know what is causing it. I have had a bunch of tests, including a full food panel. I am allergic to so many foods that I am just finding out. Never used to be allergic to these foods! Soy is on the list, dairy, beef, chicken. The only thing that has helped me is going on the SCDiet. Symptoms are pain when I eat just about anything! Right now I am only able to eat a very few foods and I eat them 1 at a time, not a meal. I have a GI appointment on Wed.....

Del

sfortney Newbie

Wow! Good Luck! I hope everything turns out okay for you. Getting used to eating a new and different variety of foods is hard enough, but then when it becomes very restricting... bless your heart.

If you are able to tolerate potatoes DariFree makes a really good milk substitute.

You'll be in our prayers.

Stephanie

Archived