5 replies to this topic

#1 YankeeDB

YankeeDB

Advanced Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 164 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 11:50 AM

Following a colonoscopy, I was told to get more fiber because of diverticulosis and hemorrhoids.

I know it can be difficult when you have celiac disease to get enough fiber. Aside from food, are there supplements that can be taken that are safe?

Thanks for you time and trouble in replying!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 tarnalberry

tarnalberry

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 9,542 posts

Posted 09 February 2004 - 12:31 PM

I find that if you just stick to whole foods, and pick high fiber ones, there's no problem getting 30g a day (on a 1500 cal/day diet). Quinoa is nice and high in fiber. Dried fruit is as well (and you don't have to go with prunes - in fact, dates are higher in fiber). Soy nuts have a fair amount of fiber in them as well. Kidney beans are also a good source, as are a lot of other beans (like garbanzos made into hummus!). Buckwheat and millet are also good sources. Not to mention things like tapioca flour. (Del-Mi's Arrowroot Animal Cookies have 5g fiber per serving!)
Tiffany aka "Have I Mentioned Chocolate Lately?"
Inconclusive Blood Tests, Positive Dietary Results, No Endoscopy
G.F. - September 2003; C.F. - July 2004
Hiker, Yoga Teacher, Engineer, Painter, Be-er of Me
Bellevue, WA

#3 smack

smack

Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPip
  • 46 posts

Posted 11 February 2004 - 09:44 AM

Dried fruits are great but be careful with dried apricots, try and get ones that are truly sundried and not treaded with sulfur dioxide (or unsulfered) (sulfering helps to maintain the apricot colour and mild plumpness).

Sulfer dioxide treated apricots can cause painful bloating, bad cramps and gas that could knock you out cold - or at least make you and others wish you had been. :wacko:

Soak the unsulfered apricots or apricot halfs in water over night, and they will become nice and plump.

Dried apricots are also a really good source of iron - another bonus for those of us deficient due to celiac disease.
The beatings will continue until moral improves

#4 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 03:23 AM

Is there such a thing as corn bran? Where do you get it? Can't find anywhere.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

#5 hapi2bgf

hapi2bgf

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 174 posts

Posted 02 April 2004 - 10:03 PM

I have bought Rice Bran and it works great. I mix it in a smoothy, so I can't taste it too much. I belive the brand is Ener-G. I buy it at Whole Foods Market, but have seen it in other Heath food stores.

#6 debmidge

debmidge

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 2,566 posts

Posted 03 April 2004 - 05:25 AM

HI

Thanks for the reply, I have the rice bran, but I want to make something (my own creation/receipe) and I want to use corn bran. Anyone know of a manufacturer of corn bran?

Thanks.
Husband has Celiac Disease and
Husband misdiagnosed for 27 yrs -
The misdiagnosis was: IBS or colitis
Mis-diagnosed from 1977 to 2003 by various gastros including one of the largest,
most prestigious medical groups in northern NJ which constantly advertises themselves as
being the "best." This GI told him it was "all in his head."
Serious Depressive state ensued
Finally Diagnosed with celiac disease in 2003
Other food sensitivities: almost all fruits, vegetables, spices, eggs, nuts, yeast, fried foods, roughage, soy.
Needs to gain back at least 25 lbs. of the 40 lbs pounds he lost - lost a great amout of body fat and muscle
Developed neuropathy in 2005
Now has lymphadema 2006
It is my opinion that his subsequent disorders could have been avoided had he been diagnosed sooner by any of the dozen or so doctors he saw between 1977 to 2003

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: