This site uses cookies. Continued use is acceptance of our Terms of Use and Privacy Policy. More Info... ×
  • Welcome to Celiac.com!

You have found your celiac tribe! Join us and ask questions in our forum, share your story, and connect with others.

• Celiac.com Sponsor (A1):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A1-M):

• Get Celiac.com Updates:
    Support Celiac.com!
    eNewsletter
    Donate

Woman's Issue Not Exactly Pregnancy Related

blueeyedmanda

blueeyedmanda Community Regular

Guys this is a bit embarrassing...but I tried googling it and all the answers I got were for girls using tampons for the first time or stupid answers.

I am 25, so I have been getting my period for what seems like an eternity, and I always use tampons. I have never had a problem at all. There has been something happening and I cannot explain it. It just happened again.

Sometimes I have trouble putting a tampon in, it will go in a little bit but then it feels as if it is stuck/something in the way. I thought maybe it was because I was at work so you can't comfortably change them as you would at home. Positon wise I mean.

Has this ever happened to someone/anyone. I think maybe because I am a little dry down there...but why all of a sudden?? Anyone shine some light for me...

I hope this topic didn't offend anyone.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

jerseyangel Proficient

Hi Amanda,

Back when I used to use tampons, this would happen to me sometimes, too. The type in the cardbaord or the ones that don't have any applicator would often "stick", and I couldn't seem to get them into a comfortable position.

I found that the kind with the rounded plastic applicator was by far the easiest to use--no dryness issues with those. ;)

I actually use the plastic, tampon pearl. I am nearing the end of my cycle, tomorrow will be day 5 last day....so maybe.

Glad to hear it has happened to others....I was getting worried.

confusedks Enthusiast

Amanda,

This is an interesting topic. I have had the same thing happen. I can't use Tampax pearls anymore because they always hurt way too much. I really like either Kotex or Playtex Beyond. Those are way better than pearls to me.

Mango04 Enthusiast
I actually use the plastic, tampon pearl. I am nearing the end of my cycle, tomorrow will be day 5 last day....so maybe.

Glad to hear it has happened to others....I was getting worried.

I was just going to ask if you use tampax pearl. I have the same problem when I use those.

p.s. there is something really strange about Chris Kattan's Mango character answering that question for you. Sorry. LOL.

debmidge Rising Star

as my fibroid tumors got larger, it got harder to use tampons and once in, they would annoy me....

Well after the failed attempt yesterday I gave it an hour and tried again with no problems, and I have not had problems since. I may switch brands and see where that gets me. I always use the same brand. Since several of you guys did comment on the pearls I may by a small box of platex and see where that gets me.

Thanks for all your help.

Deb-what were your other symptoms with the tumor? I don't feel any uncomfortableness once they are in.

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):
Celiac.com Sponsor (A8):

Celiac.com Sponsor (A8-M):

debmidge Rising Star
Well after the failed attempt yesterday I gave it an hour and tried again with no problems, and I have not had problems since. I may switch brands and see where that gets me. I always use the same brand. Since several of you guys did comment on the pearls I may by a small box of platex and see where that gets me.

Thanks for all your help.

Deb-what were your other symptoms with the tumor? I don't feel any uncomfortableness once they are in.

Because the tumors (multiple) were large, they mis-shaped my cervix which made anything by cervix like a diaphram or tapon "not fit". Major symptoms was heavy and long periods, spotting between periods. Much pain during period: cramps and pain going down thighs. Overwhelming lower ab bloating during period. Fatigue and low immune system response (caught a lot of colds/strep throat).

CarlaB Enthusiast

I ended up having a large cyst on my cervix that sometimes got in the way. It was no big deal to remove .... just like a long pap smear ....

If you haven't had a pelvic exam recently, you might just go get a checkup to be sure there isn't anything physically in the way.

Because the tumors (multiple) were large, they mis-shaped my cervix which made anything by cervix like a diaphram or tapon "not fit". Major symptoms was heavy and long periods, spotting between periods. Much pain during period: cramps and pain going down thighs. Overwhelming lower ab bloating during period. Fatigue and low immune system response (caught a lot of colds/strep throat).

I don't have anything like that happening. I am on the same cycle, nothing in between, same amount of days in the cycle, flow has been the same. Thanks for the info, it helped. :)

I ended up having a large cyst on my cervix that sometimes got in the way. It was no big deal to remove .... just like a long pap smear ....

If you haven't had a pelvic exam recently, you might just go get a checkup to be sure there isn't anything physically in the way.

I might do this, I have one done a year ago when I did the IVF procedure, but I am due for my rountine gyn appointment soon as well.

Thanks Everyone!

AbiJ Newbie

Perhaps your body is more sensitive to all the crap that are in tampons. I am allergic to them personally. They make me itch, dry me out. It's terrible and sad that I can use them. I did reasearch about what exactly is in tampons that we put in our body that then sit there for hours as our sensitive mucus membranes inside potentially absorb whatever chemicals are in those processed peices of cotton. It's pretty nasty - here's what I found:

beyond TSS which seems kind of severe you can imagine that what is in tampons would trigger a reaction:

"Tampons contain two things that are potentially harmful: Rayon (for absorbency),and dioxin (a chemical used in bleaching the products). The tampon industry is convinced that we, as women, need bleached white products in order to view the product as "PURE" and "CLEAN". The problem here is that the dioxin produced in this bleaching process can lead to very harmful problems for a woman. Dioxin is potentially carcinogenic (cancer-associated) and is toxic to the immune and reproductive systems. It has also been linked to endometriosis and lower sperm counts for men. For both sexes, it breaks down the immune system. Last September, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) reported that there really is no set "acceptable" level of exposure to dioxin given that it is cumulative and slow to disintegrate. The real danger comes from repeated contact(Karen Couppert "Pulling the Plug on the Tampon Industry"). I'd say using about 4-5 tampons a day, five days a month, for 38 menstruating years is "repeated contact", wouldn't you? Rayon contributes to the danger of tampons and dioxin because it is a highly bsorbent substance. Therefore, when fibers from the tampons are left behind in the vagina (as usually occurs), it creates a breeding ground for the dioxin. It also stays in a lot longer than it would with just cotton tampons. This is also the reason why TSS (toxic shock syndrome) occurs." from: Open Original Shared Link

I hope this sheds some light!

Abi

fedora Enthusiast

Natracare makes an organic cotton tampon. no chemicals added

fedora Enthusiast

also seventh Generation and Organic Essentials

loraleena Contributor

Ditto above. Only use Natura care or seventh generation organic tampons!!

Yenni Enthusiast

I use organic ones too. I think mine are the Seventh Generation.

Just something I thought of: If you use tampons at the end of period and do not bleed as much, it might be too little blood to use a tampon. Could be a reason to "get stuck" too.

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast

Some times those darn things just won't go in for me! From what I can tell from personal experince is if you use too high absorbtion, it dries you out in there and it get irritated and then it dosne't like to go in next time. I usally leave it out for an hour or so then try again.

hope this helps and dosen't gross anyone out.. :P

I bet the absorbency is soemthing to look at, when this happened the other day I had a super in and it was towards the end of the cycle.

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast
I bet the absorbency is soemthing to look at, when this happened the other day I had a super in and it was towards the end of the cycle.

That will do it! I often find my flow is too light for a tampon but still need something but hate liners. I usally stick one in and deal with the pain.. then complain about it... then swear i'll never do it again.... then do it again next month!

LOL!

little d Enthusiast

I can't use tampons at all because my body wants to push them out and when I can get it in successefully, it is uncomfortable the entire time or my body works it out. My time of the month is really short 2 -3 days, so I really only use the maxi pads

donna

debmidge Rising Star

Years ago there was a tampon out called "Rely" and they were pulled off the market because they were too absorbent and caused infection which lead to several deaths. I'm not kidding - this isn't an urban legend. The product was made around 1981 and was only out for a few years.

That will do it! I often find my flow is too light for a tampon but still need something but hate liners. I usally stick one in and deal with the pain.. then complain about it... then swear i'll never do it again.... then do it again next month!

LOL!

I have found after the first two days I am very light now, so I actually buy the multipack and use the slimfits the last two days. I ran out of those at work....when this all happened. You got love how we stick to our guns....I am not doing this again...well Ill try again, I do this all the time.

Years ago there was a tampon out called "Rely" and they were pulled off the market because they were too absorbent and caused infection which lead to several deaths. I'm not kidding - this isn't an urban legend. The product was made around 1981 and was only out for a few years.

I saw that on a Mystery Diagnosis show on Discovery Health. It was all about when TSS first came out and they were trying to find out why all these women were getting sick. Very interesting.

SunnyDyRain Enthusiast
I saw that on a Mystery Diagnosis show on Discovery Health. It was all about when TSS first came out and they were trying to find out why all these women were getting sick. Very interesting.

I am the worst when it comes to the chances of TSS. I have left mine in for over 24 hours at a time. :ph34r:

and about the whole.... I won't do that again... El Rodeo chips... I love them... i swear I'm getting glutened from them... but I can't not eat them!!! Everytime I eat there... I get sick... but the next time I go.... I eat them anyway. :unsure:

Archived