9 replies to this topic

#1 HollyH

HollyH

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 10:45 AM

Does anyone have a good recipe for this? I was diagnosed with Celiac before I really knew much about cooking, so here I am! I think it will take a while for me to really get the hang of how to cook with these odd ingredients. I know I sound like a dummy, but what cut of steak to buy, and how to make it thinner(do i need to hammer it? lol) would help. Also, a gravy recipe would be great! Thank You!!!!

Celiac.com Sponsor:

#2 moldlady

moldlady

Advanced Community Member

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 02:52 PM

Does anyone have a good recipe for this? I was diagnosed with Celiac before I really knew much about cooking, so here I am! I think it will take a while for me to really get the hang of how to cook with these odd ingredients. I know I sound like a dummy, but what cut of steak to buy, and how to make it thinner(do i need to hammer it? lol) would help. Also, a gravy recipe would be great! Thank You!!!!

Hi Holly,
I have a friend that makes this and I just contacted her by email/message to see if she can find the recipe. I'm a veggie eater so I can't help with this at all...sorry. But, hopefully by this late evening I'll have some kind of any answer for you.

moldlady :)

#3 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 04 February 2008 - 08:14 PM

Hi Holly,
I have a friend that makes this and I just contacted her by email/message to see if she can find the recipe. I'm a veggie eater so I can't help with this at all...sorry. But, hopefully by this late evening I'll have some kind of any answer for you.

I won't mind hearing about it either!
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#4 HollyH

HollyH

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 07:53 AM

Hi Holly,

Thank you so much!! Looking forward to it! :D

#5 moldlady

moldlady

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 08:11 AM

Southern Chicken (or Country) Fried Steak this recipe is my friend's and she goes by healthy bee. I have never tried this so can't say much but she is a great cook. HB uses a special uncontaminated wheat flour but I suggested the oat flour. Travel at your own on this as to what you like best.

Heated skillet with grapeseed or coconut oil 2 in" deep.
Heat skillet first then add oil. Oil is hot enough when a wooden spoon handle inserted in the oil bubbles.

Using tenderized steaks - thin cut - size your choice
1 cup flour (of your choice…gluten free oat is a suggestion)
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
dash paprika
sea salt
ground black pepper

Mix well. Set aside.

In a separate dish combine 1 egg - beaten and 1 cup water or milk, sea salt. Mix well.
(These ingredients can be tweaked in any way you need to. Add more flour, more water, more spices. You choose. It depends on how much meat you have as well.)

Take tenderized steak pieces and dredge in the flour mixture, cover well. Immediately dip in egg mixture and coat well. Dredge again in the flour mixture. In the South, having a thick crunchy coating is important! Lay the coated steak pieces on a rack and let them air-dry for 30 minutes before cooking.

Place steak pieces in hot oil. (If the steaks do not bubble immediatley, your heat is not high enough) Watch closely. Turn when coating is brown. Cook throughly, brown other side. Steak will shrink inside the batter, that's normal. If the batter browns too quickly, your heat is too high.

Place on paper towels to drain.

Country Gravy
In separate pan melt 2 Tbsp. butter or other oil in pan. Add 1/2 cup flour (your choice) and mix well creating a thick paste. SLOWLY add water while whisking until you reach desired amount of gravy and lumps are gone. Cooking over med-high heat bring to boil and cook until thick and bubbly. Add 1/2 tsp. onion powder, 1/4 tsp. garlic powder, dash paprika, black pepper, & sea salt to taste. Add milk or heavy cream to color. The more dairy, the richer the gravy.
To thicken, mix some flour (about 1/4 cup) with a bit of water to make a flowable paste. Add to gravy while whisking. Cook at least 5 minutes.
To thin add more water or milk.

ML :)

#6 JNBunnie1

JNBunnie1

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 3,326 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 11:30 AM

Southern Chicken (or Country) Fried Steak this recipe is my friend's and she goes by healthy bee. I have never tried this so can't say much but she is a great cook. HB uses a special uncontaminated wheat flour but I suggested the oat flour. Travel at your own on this as to what you like best.

'Uncontaminated wheat flour'? I don't get it, do you mean uncontaminated by wheat?
If you're going through hell, keep going. ~Winston Churchill

#7 moldlady

moldlady

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 05 February 2008 - 06:59 PM

'Uncontaminated wheat flour'? I don't get it, do you mean uncontaminated by wheat?

Good question. She says that most wheat flours give her bad reactions and make her fingers swell. She gets this wheat flour from Minn. and it doesn't cause any swelling of her fingers. They do not store the wheat in big storage bins and therefore no mold in the wheat berries.
She is not celiac that I know of so she still uses wheat flour but a special brand from Minn.
I suggested using oat flour. Some might have a good rice flour that works for them too.

#8 HollyH

HollyH

New Community Member

• Advanced Members
  • Pip
  • 21 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 12:09 PM

Heated skillet with grapeseed or coconut oil 2 in" deep.
Heat skillet first then add oil. Oil is hot enough when a wooden spoon handle inserted in the oil bubbles.

Using tenderized steaks - thin cut - size your choice
1 cup flour (of your choice…gluten free oat is a suggestion)
1/4 tsp. garlic powder
1/2 tsp. onion powder
dash paprika
sea salt
ground black pepper

Mix well. Set aside.

In a separate dish combine 1 egg - beaten and 1 cup water or milk, sea salt. Mix well.
(These ingredients can be tweaked in any way you need to. Add more flour, more water, more spices. You choose. It depends on how much meat you have as well.)

Take tenderized steak pieces and dredge in the flour mixture, cover well. Immediately dip in egg mixture and coat well. Dredge again in the flour mixture. In the South, having a thick crunchy coating is important! Lay the coated steak pieces on a rack and let them air-dry for 30 minutes before cooking.

Place steak pieces in hot oil. (If the steaks do not bubble immediatley, your heat is not high enough) Watch closely. Turn when coating is brown. Cook throughly, brown other side. Steak will shrink inside the batter, that's normal. If the batter browns too quickly, your heat is too high.

Place on paper towels to drain.

Country Gravy
In separate pan melt 2 Tbsp. butter or other oil in pan. Add 1/2 cup flour (your choice) and mix well creating a thick paste. SLOWLY add water while whisking until you reach desired amount of gravy and lumps are gone. Cooking over med-high heat bring to boil and cook until thick and bubbly. Add 1/2 tsp. onion powder, 1/4 tsp. garlic powder, dash paprika, black pepper, & sea salt to taste. Add milk or heavy cream to color. The more dairy, the richer the gravy.
To thicken, mix some flour (about 1/4 cup) with a bit of water to make a flowable paste. Add to gravy while whisking. Cook at least 5 minutes.
To thin add more water or milk.

Moldlady,

Thank you sooo much! It sounds delicious!! I want to try it tonight. :D

#9 moldlady

moldlady

• Banned
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 229 posts

Posted 06 February 2008 - 01:21 PM

Glad to be of assistance Holly. My friend said just typing it up for me made her hungry.:)

#10 Ginsou

Ginsou

• Advanced Members
  • PipPipPipPipPipPip
  • 346 posts

Posted 07 February 2008 - 11:50 AM

I'm originally from New England and never knew what country fried steak was, and never tasted it until about 6 years ago in Conroe, Texas. It was delicious. I'm lactose intolerant, and was sick from it, but still enjoyed it. That was before being diagnosed celiac. It appeared that the chef used cubed steak,which can be purchased already "pounded".....at least in the northeast.

0 user(s) are reading this topic

0 members, 0 guests, 0 anonymous users

Celiac.com Sponsors: